Weatherby Vanguard?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Papabear
Anybody know anything about the Weatherby Vanguards? How is the quality and how do they shoot?

I used to hunt with one in 30.06 was a excellent shooter. Fit and finish on mine was very good action was smooth as glass. I enjoyed it for many years. It now serves my brother very well.

Vanguards are Howa actions if I'm not mistaken. They typically have a pretty good finish, I like the wood ones a lot better than the synthetic. A friend of mine sold a 338 Weatherby mag at the last Goodman show. Beautiful wood on that one. The action is the typical 2 lug mauser type where the Weatherby actions are either 6 lug or 9 lug.

Vanguards are the "entry" level for Weatherbys. They are very good rifles as stated above with very smooth yet strong actions. Be cautioned though....Vanguards lead to Mark Vs.

I have a .300 Wby Mag on the Vanguard frame and a .340 Wby Mag on a Mark V with a stock I bought semi finished and did the final sanding and finishing with Tru Oil. I just love that gun. It will be one of two that go to my sons no matter what!

WBY vanguard and Howa are the same gun. I have the Howa in .270WSM with th Ross thumbhole stock(made by boyds) bought it when outdoor sports in Knoxville went OOB. mounted a mueller sportdot 4-16 and zeroed it in 3 shots at 100 yds. smooth action, but havent had it in the woods yet:( I would recommend this platform .

Hillbilly

• 10 months later...

I was looking today at a Wby Vangaurd in .308, synthetic stock, it is in almost mint condition... looks to have been fired very little, with a simmons 3-9x40 Blazer mounted.

Guy wants $350.00 for it.

I have no experience with the platform, but have a pile of match .308 that needs a purpose... what do you guys think?

Guest 70below

Vanguards are good rifles. I've always been amazed that the old german Mark V's haven't appreciated as much as I would have thought over the years. My dad has a beautiful german Mark V in .300 wby mag I hope to have someday.

Guest Mugster
I'm trying to think why that is a minus?

- OS

I've seen more than one rifle discharge while it was being unloaded, and one discharge at a range while it was pointing up at a 45 degree angle...guy was jacking the first round in. Usually the triggers had been tinkered with is my guess, or its an operator headspace and timing problem. Thats just one more reason I try not to buy used rifles. I like a good safety thats going to stop the trigger period, but, I'm sure I probably stand alone.

I saw a guy the other day at the range dump a .22-250 from a shooting rest to the deck, busting his scope. At least it didn't go off. Took a chunk off his stock too.

I've seen more than one rifle discharge while it was being unloaded, and one discharge at a range while it was pointing up at a 45 degree angle...guy was jacking the first round in. ...

Hmmm, never really thought about that...

I've only owned one bolt action rifle, and that's a .22, and can work bolt with safety on.

- OS

Guest Mugster
Hmmm, never really thought about that...

I've only owned one bolt action rifle, and that's a .22, and can work bolt with safety on.

- OS

You do enough shooting at public ranges in tennessee, by God you'll see everything if you stay at it long enough.