A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words

runco

In all seriousness, I wonder if the manufacturers and middlemen are hoarding, waiting till they have better direction/read of the situation, i.e. if there is a real risk of actual gun ban, then release the inventory at unheard of prices at the wholesale level, or if this is just talk, then release the inventory at normal pre-Connecticut pricing.  Its just hard to believe that the entire supply chain is dried up!

I don't think it's dried up, I think it was bought up.

The show this weekend was enlightening. I left yesterday when I couldn't walk anywhere.

People around me were asking when the Fire Marshall was going to remove people from the building.

My wally world has no pistol ammo, a few select rifle ammo, and shotguns and .22. No EBRs.

In all seriousness, I wonder if the manufacturers and middlemen are hoarding, waiting till they have better direction/read of the situation, i.e. if there is a real risk of actual gun ban, then release the inventory at unheard of prices at the wholesale level, or if this is just talk, then release the inventory at normal pre-Connecticut pricing.  Its just hard to believe that the entire supply chain is dried up!

I don’t think manufacturers are hording, distributors might be, I don’t know. None of the manufacturers (as far as I know) raised their prices last time; it was distributors and dealers that gouged us.

We know for sure this demand will end. It will either end with these guns being banned, or it will end because no gun control passes. Either way the manufacturers can’t justify buying new equipment and training people when they know they won’t need them in the long run.

I really hope it isn't the distributors hording up, in the wrong run if they run a new gun control law though in a hurry they will be stuck with firearms that they could have sold to the public and no longer call.

Has anyone thought about how much debate will actually go into something like this before they vote it?

That is how Oak Ridge looked a few days before Christmas.  I haven't been back.

I had overheard that the gun rack was emptied due to a broken lock on one side. I went in yesterday, the lock was fixed, and two of the three sections were full of guns. They even had a Sig .22.

I should have taken a pic at the crowd at Gander Mtn yesterday, it was one of the most ridiculous things I have seen in years.  There was a crowd of people at the counter and the salesman would bring out a box of ammo and people were jumping up and raising their hands like it was the last loaf of bread in communist Russia or something,

Several people people standing around smiling proudly at their case of .223 or .22LR, even seen a couple people holding bushmaster boxes so they must have got some in stock.  Also seen a guy selling .22LR out of the back of his truck in the parking lot, my guess is he just bought some inside at the regular price and was doubling his money.

I have been shooting for 30+ years, its a great hobby and all but what is going on is bordering on crazyness.  Wasnt even that bad in '94, most likely we can all thank the media for whipping people into a frenzy.

I had overheard that the gun rack was emptied due to a broken lock on one side. I went in yesterday, the lock was fixed, and two of the three sections were full of guns. They even had a Sig .22.

willy_nilly.gifwilly_nilly.gif

That's funny.

.The media has whipped no one into a frenzy. The internet forums are more responsible for this mess than anything else. We have no one to blame but ourselves. People are more than happy to post any ridiculous gossip they can find with no regard to where it came from.

I was in Halls Wal Mart yesterday and guy at sporting goods desk took a call. He immediately started laughing at the caller and said "we have 50 on order". A slight pause then said  "Bushmaster, Sig and Colt". Then another slight pause and "I have no idea". Anybody want to guess what the caller was asking, I have a pretty good idea. 

I have been shooting for 30+ years, its a great hobby and all but what is going on is bordering on crazyness.  Wasnt even that bad in '94, most likely we can all thank the media for whipping people into a frenzy.
.The media has whipped no one into a frenzy. The internet forums are more responsible for this mess than anything else. We have no one to blame but ourselves. People are more than happy to post any ridiculous gossip they can find with no regard to where it came from.

I was in Halls Wal Mart yesterday and guy at sporting goods desk took a call. He immediately started laughing at the caller and said "we have 50 on order". A slight pause then said  "Bushmaster, Sig and Colt". Then another slight pause and "I have no idea". Anybody want to guess what the caller was asking, I have a pretty good idea. 

Forums are social media ;)

You dont think the news reports of packed gun shows, huge sales and looming bans have anything to do with it?  A lot of people at the stores and shows have never been on an internet gun forum in their life I bet.

The real problem is that people have already gave up the fight, and have convinced themselves that the government is going to do something this time, something new and permanent. Instead of digging in for a fight, just throw in the towel, and buy now, forget bargain pricing, just secure that gun that you have thought about for years, buy a couple of mags and buy ammo, put it in the closet, and say whew....finally got my Feinstein weapon. These type of people don't care about pricing, its on a credit card anyway, just acquire it because they believe these items will not be available ever again in a few months. Regardless who whipped it up, the media, internet, gun clerks, or just the old men at Hardees talking over coffee each morning (aka ole farts), its whipped into a foaming lather right now. Opportunists are cashing in (don't blame them), and these die hard gun enthusiast wannabes were caught with their pants down and are now paying through the nose. It just hurts some of the real die hards temporarily.

Edited by Runco
  • Like 1
The real problem is that people have already gave up the fight, and have convinced themselves that the government is going to do something this time, something new and permanent. Instead of digging in for a fight, just throw in the towel, and buy now, forget bargain pricing, just secure that gun that you have thought about for years, buy a couple of mags and buy ammo, put it in the closet, and say whew....finally got my Feinstein weapon. These type of people don't care about pricing, its on a credit card anyway, just acquire it because they believe these items will not be available ever again in a few months. Regardless who whipped it up, the media, internet, gun clerks, or just the old men at Hardees talking over coffee each morning (aka ole farts), its whipped into a foaming lather right now. Opportunists are cashing in (don't blame them), and these die hard gun enthusiast wannabes were caught with their pants down and are now paying through the nose. It just hurts some of the real die hards temporarily.

I agree, matter of fact all the panic buying may just get them to work harder and faster at trying to pass something to put a stop to it.  I was caught with my pants down as well since I was never an ammo collector.  Just a shame I cant even find a box of cheap .22 so the kids can do some plinking during their Christmas time off.