AK Home Builder

Guest aknut

I have a Romy G kit & NDS receiver I need built...normally I would just ship everything over to my favorite gunsmith in FLA, but I would really like to sit in on a build

so I can learn.

Anybody out there in the Knoxville or surrounding area, would love to hear from you. Shoot me a PM or reply to this thread.

Thx!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Romy G kit & NDS receiver I need built...normally I would just ship everything over to my favorite gunsmith in FLA, but I would really like to sit in on a build

so I can learn.

Anybody out there in the Knoxville or surrounding area, would love to hear from you. Shoot me a PM or reply to this thread.

Thx!

They actually aren't hard to build,Providing you have the proper equipment.There are several good videos on youtube to help you out with builds, I did my first build off of watching a youtube vid.

I hear it is easy using bolts rather than rivets.

Dolomite

It is done. Not necessarily easier but does not require riveting tools. You would also have to demil the parts kit differently. Barrel does not have to come out if your kit has an original bbl. If you're doing a screw build.

I have built several . Screw builds are what I did at first . I never thought they looked bad and used button head machine screws. I did break a few taps . Some of the trunnions are pretty hard.

I finally bought all the rivet tools for the press and I am going back and redoing all my early builds with rivets. It seemed each build came out a little better .

It is easier if you have a barrel that is with the original front trunnion . It should be properly headspaced but I would still check it. If you have a receiver that is 100% it takes no time to build . Much quicker than doing the 80% and bending welding and heat treating.

Do you have a press ?

I have most of the tools now and just ordered a die for pressing the flats. I had been using a brake and it does pretty good . I am going to be redoing my first build that I used screws on and doing rivet builds . They all work fine but kits are harder to find and now that I have learned from the previous builds I think I can build a better rifle.

I have several hom built tools that worked pretty good. I am hoping this die turns out some nice flats . There is some good information on the Weaponsguild forum where it is mostly about the home builder . Tons of info and pics . I hope to take some pics of my next build , A Polish Tantal I did in 5.56 but I am going back with a regular AK 74 flat this time. Shooting as a lefty the selector bugs my left hand . Seeing as it is just there to fill the hole and it is semi auto only , I am doing away with it.

I ended up making most of my own tools. I did buy a bolt cutter rivet tool, a flat bending jig, and a headspace guage. The other stuff is pretty easy to develop if you take your time. I think we ended up making 20+ or so guns. That was back when you could get kits for 100 bucks. They all made up into some nice shooters. Some we just made stock, others got decked out with rails, folding stocks etc. it was a pretty good mix. Never did do any 74s, all 47s. One of may favorites was a Polish under folder. It turned out really nice, it was a great kit to begin with. I used a AK builder flat made just for them.

The biggest bugaboo was getting the rails spot welded in. Finally got the technique down and they ended up working out good. Still seems like it was a long process of putting one together, don't think I ever did one in less than about 8 hours. The last one I did went the quickest. It was on a tapco flat with the pre bent rails. It actually went together really good, used an AMD65 kit on it but swapped out the butt stock. I don't like those wire stocks.