over 400 a year to shoot here tax included

Dustbuster

Better find one with good bones. He's pretty spunky for an old feller. :)

Yep. Good bones. Good looker, T and A equally important. One who likes much older guys. And guns. And fishing. And golf. And wry humor.  And rich. Other than that, not picky.

- OS

So I guess any of us who belong to that range are elitist, and self entitled???

We do have, at least some semblance of a free enterprise system here...if you don't like the price of something or the alleged "crummy" way someone does business then go somewhere else or build your own range.

I've had nothing but EXCELLENT service there and as far as I'm concerned it's worth far more than they ask for a membership (nor do you have to be a member to shoot there anyway) - I don't see the problem nor why this thread was even needed.  :shrug: Edited by RobertNashville
I believe the OP's original issue was that he had been told $x and then charged $xx plus tax. His issue was the change in price and tax on a service, not overall cost of a membership.
I believe the OP's original issue was that he had been told $x and then charged $xx plus tax. His issue was the change in price and tax on a service, not overall cost of a membership.

I still don't get it...while some things don't carry TN Sales Tax most things do and they do whether they identify the tax separately (Price + tax) or they just include it as a lump sum. There is no difference between $400 plus 9.75% sales tax vs just quoting $439.

If there is anyone worthy of angst here it's the State of Tennessee; not businesses who are forced to be tax collectors for the state.

More to the point, unless someone is being forced to do something then so what?  Go somewhere else...build your own range...whatever...bitching about it accomplishes nothing.

Edited by RobertNashville
One other point that could be made is that the range in question is relatively new. I would like to think that with the best intentions the management underpriced the amount necessary to keep the range going on a day to day level. After a few months they corrected the issue to ensure a decent return on their large investment. I plan on a membership soon myself just based on the service I have had. One other issue, you mentioned high prices? They may not have the cheapest pricing on everything but these are the same folks who had the elusive SR1911 for under $700 when people were selling them used for $850 or more. I'd like to see the stock grow much larger but they are running a great business IMO.
  • Like 1
Hypothetically speaking,IF I owned a range,AND if i offered all of the benefactors here a membership at "my range" for one price, and when you got to "my range" and I charged every benefactor almost 100 more,then what i originally quoted,the bitching would go on for over 1000 posts to the point of flaming ad nauseum. I watch guys waste time raging over 50 cents on ammo.....but spend 100.00 a week on smokes..the rage wouldn't end for a long time.

I didn't initially use the words elitist to characterize paid annual members,someone else did. Someone else also mentioned at that price one is literally paying to be part of a better "crowd".Well thats elitist,or holier than thou by virtue....

For those that are paid members great! Good things happen for a reason.If youre happy with what you paid for,like most are great!
 I can afford the annual, I even pitched in at their grand opening buying some odds and ends in good faith from their guest vendors...and have paid to shoot there a handful of times entertaining guests from out of town... 400 is still high imho,free coffee or not...

I support our hobby,TN shooters and 2nd amendment rights like anyone else,and anyone promoting it if need be, even if its a place I don't personally care for,anymore,...I just don't appreciate being enticed on changed pretenses..kinda like one agency inviting guys in to check barrel lengths where they come in w a "self defense breacher" and leave empty handed while the warrants getting typed...

If anyone still cant understand the reason for my complaint pls send me 75.00 for a Nitron coated 1911 limited edition TGO tactical paper clip that will fix all shooting problems....once i hit the 750.00 mark ill announce that we've discontinued the clip because of boogedy bogey issues .... 
side note:( Thanks FIST you got it !)  
  • Administrator

http://www.tn.gov/revenue/taxguides/salesanduse.pdf

Taxable Tangible Personal Property
[Tenn. Code Ann. Sections 67-6-102, 212]

Most sales, leases, or rentals of tangible personal property are taxable under Tennessee sales and use tax law. “Tangible personal property” means personal property that can be seen, weighed, measured, felt, or touched, or that is in any other manner perceptible to the senses, and includes electricity, steam, water, gas, and prewritten computer software.

and

Taxable Services
[Tenn. Code Ann. Sections 67- 6 - 205, 67-6-212, 67-6-226, 67-6-227]

Charges for the use of rooms or accommodations furnished for periods of less than 90 days by hotels, motels, inns, or other tourist lodgings. The tax does not apply to accommodations or rooms furnished to the same person for 90 or more continuous days.

Also taxable under Tenn. Code Ann. Section 67-6-212 are charges for a variety of amusement, recreation, and entertainment activities such as:

• Membership dues to sports and recreation clubs or health spas
  • Admissions to sporting events, musical and theatrical performances, and other amusements except as exempted by law.
  • Charges for entering or engaging in any kind of recreational activity.
  • Charges for using tangible personal property for amusements, sports, entertainment, or recreational activities such as golf carts, tennis courts, or bowling shoes.
  • Complimentary dues and fees, with a value equal to the normal cost, except when provided to students at a public school or university

#####

Bottom line, the OP's complaint lies with the State of Tennessee, not with the Vendor in question.  Complaints can be directed here:

Tax Information

24-hour Message Center:
Statewide toll-free: (800) 342-1003
Nashville-area and out-of-state: (615) 253-0600

It's not an issue between me and dept of revenue.its an issue of being quoted one thing,coming down to get the quoted item and being given a different price. From what was quoted, I guess this forum has to pay tax on its paid memberships....I recently picked up a Glock from a lgs
.I got quoted a price showed up,paid the price I was quoted n left simple. Too bad armory couldn't do the same.
  • Administrator
It's not an issue between me and dept of revenue.its an issue of being quoted one thing,coming down to get the quoted item and being given a different price. From what was quoted, I guess this forum has to pay tax on its paid memberships....

I'm not sure what I can to do help you come to terms with this as it seems you are intent on complaining.  The fact remains that certain services such as those outlined above are taxable in Tennessee.  A consumer should likewise understand that this could be the case whether or not they are specifically told that there will be tax applied to their transaction.  In other words, this is common sense and yet you insist on being wrapped around the axle about it.

Money was not extorted from you and you were allowed to leave without paying.  The actual price of the product did not change between the time you called them and the time you arrived; you simply did not take into consideration the tax involved.  Why you're crying about this is beyond me, but I'm done with this thread and you're done with this conversation.  You're just one less person I will have to shoot beside the next time i go there.  :)