over 400 a year to shoot here tax included

Dustbuster

$400 means exclusivity.  It is all about the clientele you are fishing for.  The Charlie Haffner range is the best deal around here IMO but it can really pack out.  If you have a range and want to bring in only people of a certain affluence, then you charge more.  This is your filter and it keeps the range less crowded.  400 bucks is too rich for my blood for a range membership, but I have a buddy who would drop that without a second thought just for the exclusivity.

I pay $200 per month for my range membership.  It's very exclusive.  I own it.  Of course there was an initial down payment involved.  After repeated frustrating visits to public ranges I felt that my sanity and safety were worth the investment.  I can use it any time, there's no waiting, gated access, and best of all, I don't have to be repeatedly muzzled and deal with obnoxious rudeness.  As a bonus, I can hunt there, ride my 4 wheeler, pick any campsite I want for my 1987 camper, and blow up TVs with tannerite.  At most ranges, you pay your money and it's gone.  At mine, I pay my money but it's still mine. 

I offer this not to brag but to present what to me was a sensible alternative to public ranges.  I'm not a wealthy guy and had to make some sacrifices to accomplish this goal.  I wound up with 22 acres, mostly wooded, 20 minutes from my home.  Closer than any public or private range.  Yes, I have also invested a good deal of sweat, and continue to do so, to make it what I want.  It has a small pond, a crank well and a barn and could be a good bug out location if it came to that.  It took a while for me to find a suitable location that was affordable so I also had some time invested there as well.  It has been suggested that I look into selling some timber to recoup some of my costs and I may decide to hire a forestry consultant at some time.  That would just be a bonus.

I haven't once regretted the decision to go this route.  Just something to consider.   

Edited by Motasyco
  • Like 2

I believe the OP was stating concerned about the issue of paying sales tax, not over the cost of membership.  Said tax then pushed the cost of membership over $x is what he said.

I agree in that is a range membership not a 'service'?  I am being charged sales tax on my membership, but others have told me they are not (at the same place).  I know that some places do and some places do not.  Should it not be uniform?

• Like 1
My point is when someone offers a somewhat fair price for something then it gets jacked up 75 bucks in less than 3 mos it gets annoying. I remember when useltons opened, I couldnt do a year at 1k either but found other sources.I also bore witness to customers fleeing the high dollar range when they went in asking to shoot for the first time and started getting racked into buying a 5 k dollar 1911. Useltons shop is closed.. they had,(past tense) the nicest range..but pricing and Cust svc ran everyone off. Relief is a wonderful thing...bait n jack isn't.

I doubt very many people are getting “racked” into buy a $5K 1911.

I would have to laugh out loud if someone priced a 1911 to me at $5K. But I guess if you have $5K to blow, and you think spending $5K will make you a better shot than spending 1K on a 1911, that is certainly your right…. isn’t it?

Range memberships are simple math. Look at the “walk on” price multiplied by how many times a year you would use it and you have your answer. The math doesn’t work for me so I don’t have a membership, but I’m sure it works for the shooters that say they shoot twice a week.

Also, if someone can justify the cost of a membership, their yearly ammo cost has to be staggering in comparison to the range fees.

We all have choices. I can go to Terry Waldens outdoor range for $5 a day (someone said it has went up to $10), if I want to shoot indoors I can go to On-Target and pay $20 a day, or if I want a longer, better lit range I can go to Nashville Armory and pay $20 an hour.  Those are my choices. I usually shoot outside, I have shot at indoor ranges, but I’ll never pay $20 an hour. I am not the clientele they are looking for at their range, but I have bought a gun from them.

You are right, shooting should be affordable. It should also be affordable for a kid to go to a football game; but unfortunately due to greed in both industries nether are.

• Like 1
[quote name="RobertNashville" post="870470" timestamp="1356710093"]Did anybody ever find out what the hell club/range is being talked about or are we just supposed to guess?[/quote] I fairly certain it's one of our premier sponsors and since this thread does nothing to positively promote them, I'll not name them. If i assume correctly, the place in question is new, top shelf and run by a very stand up man.
I fairly certain it's one of our premier sponsors and since this thread does nothing to positively promote them, I'll not name them. If i assume correctly, the place in question is new, top shelf and run by a very stand up man.

Well then, if it's the one I'm thinking of then (and recently joined) then it's well worth the price I'm paying.

I understand the one I am talking about isn't inexpensive but shooting as a hobby isn't exactly inexpensive either.

Each of us have to decided for ourselves what we can afford to do/pay...complaining about the price one places charges seems, at best, inappropriate to me.

• Like 1
...I also bore witness to customers fleeing the high dollar range when they went in asking to shoot for the first time and started getting racked into buying a 5 k dollar 1911.
I own or have owned some very fine examples of custom built 1911s...never saw one priced at $5K nor would I pay that much for one in any case.

Whatever happened to the concept of "let the buyer beware"???
  • Like 1
I pay $200 per month for my range membership.  It's very exclusive.  I own it.  Of course there was an initial down payment involved.  After repeated frustrating visits to public ranges I felt that my sanity and safety were worth the investment.  I can use it any time, there's no waiting, gated access, and best of all, I don't have to be repeatedly muzzled and deal with obnoxious rudeness.  As a bonus, I can hunt there, ride my 4 wheeler, pick any campsite I want for my 1987 camper, and blow up TVs with tannerite.  At most ranges, you pay your money and it's gone.  At mine, I pay my money but it's still mine. 

I offer this not to brag but to present what to me was a sensible alternative to public ranges.  I'm not a wealthy guy and had to make some sacrifices to accomplish this goal.  I wound up with 22 acres, mostly wooded, 20 minutes from my home.  Closer than any public or private range.  Yes, I have also invested a good deal of sweat, and continue to do so, to make it what I want.  It has a small pond, a crank well and a barn and could be a good bug out location if it came to that.  It took a while for me to find a suitable location that was affordable so I also had some time invested there as well.  It has been suggested that I look into selling some timber to recoup some of my costs and I may decide to hire a forestry consultant at some time.  That would just be a bonus.

I haven't once regretted the decision to go this route.  Just something to consider.   

I have a place just like this, but I dont have to drive, mine is in my back yard, I can shoot naked, pics latter!

• Like 1
I would love to see a $5k 1911 sitting in ANY gunshop. It seems the OP loves to embellish a bit. And even if the place has $5k guns what does if matter?

The facility is a multi million dollar facility that offers an experience you cannot get anywhere else in thd area. And some customers evidentally want and enjoy that otherwise the facility would not be doing as well as it is. OP, if you are content going somewhere else that is fine but do not come on here drive potential customers away.

If you don't like the membership fees then don't join and go back to the "holler" from which you came.

Dolomite

My Brother is a "Night time naked coon hunter", No lie.

He lives in the woods in Sevierville, had a coon getting into His bird feeder at night, His OL told the story, we all laughed so hard our faces hurt.

Edited by RED333

wow,absolutely horrible... i laughed so hard that i almost sprayed coffee all over my keyboard.......i think we saw that guy on a you tube video w fps Russia guy was chasing him w a flaming roman candle or something.Next time I open photoshop ill have a new base photo to do paste up stuff on lol

anyhow,here's the point,again, when someone offers something for 1 price, and you show up, and get hit w another it gets a little annoying.I understand the value of a 5000 dollar 1911,and yeah i did see a customer walk into a sales gauntlet and leave disgusted because he asked me where else he could rent and shoot w his family while i was in the parking lot of the same place...

I imagine 400 may suit some,the elitist, self entitled feeling, may be warm and fuzzy but don't ask me to be a member for one fee and jack it up to another.Again same point.I think its a crummy way of doing business.Yeah the place is nice n clean,looks good for the ladies,but it was touted as a hey yall wait till we open this place your gonna love it....and it'll cost this. same thing again. 

One would figure that a large high volume place would have better pricing on range use.. guess i was wrong about that.All in all ill keep my dues paid at "the holler" and the other little place that appreciates their paying customers...and maintains the good relationship most of us truly appreciate....I now know the reason the horse statue is running away from the big place towards franklin.......im poppin smoke l8tr