over 400 a year to shoot here tax included

Dustbuster

If you buy a membership to a club,or in this case a range,when did it become taxable????over
400 bucks for one year...I passed That's just insane.and u know where I went....pissed me off like these shops aren't cleaning house already w high prices and more.
I'll give my kid a red ryder to plink cat turds with before swallowing that one...
Rant mode off
I guess ill just get a heavier jacket n head to the "holler"
[quote name='Runco' timestamp='1356663683' post='870158']I think the Tennessee Sales tax was updated to include services and memberships in 2007, I think its buried in Tennessee Code Annotated Section s 67-6-501. I think, not 100% sure.[/quote] This. I had a golf membership that was subject to the same taxation where before it wasn't.
I don't know what the exact law is w regard to organizations,but, I understand a non profit not collecting tax, but being taxed to prepay shooting on a range I don't get. Either way am I supposed to believe I'm taxed on breathing powder filled air ? or am I paying tax for taking up size 12 shoe filled real estate for 1 hourvor less. Either way 400 bucks is a big hit. I've seen guys bitch like hell near tantrum about paying a buck more for their annual box of ammo. Other ranges within 50 miles of nashvegas are at half of that....400 for a year makes as much sense as paying 50 bucks for a pmag....ptooey.. Edited by Dustbuster
Is there something in the tax code that says you have to shoot there? If you don't like it, stop going. As far as cleaning house? I doubt it. There's not as much meat on the bone as people believe. You can't get get a can of vancamps pork and beans for a dime anymore either.
Your right theres nothing that says I have to shoot there. 2 months ago there wasn't much room for profit on new gun sales. But now the prices are above map and retail.w every black rifle gone, W supplies at an all time low. Enjoying firearms should be affordable.I was told ranges are built to support the shop and vice versa. I understand operating for a profit,vs turning something into a neccessary evil. Funny how people get mad at cops for writing tickets but bitch when theres not enough cops to catch the guy that victimized them....If I owned a range and store that just sold more in two weeks than they normally would all year , I'd think hard about what I would do to keep my customers and not drive em away after the sales blitz
I for one have no idea where you went. I have a few ideas but could be off base. If rather of the two places I'm thinking is it, maybe instead of making a forum rant here you would be better served finding a place that's more inline with your budget. I make very little money around 20k a year and hate having to spend so much to shoot but its what I choose to do, it's hard to get all worked up over the fact that I've got champagne tastes and and a Budweiser budget. If the place Im thinking of is where you went, even though its a bit spendy the cost is IMO worth it. Anyone remember what uslesstons was charging for a year for their double secret super diamond memberships? I want to say in the ballpark of $1000? Now there's over priced!
My point is when someone offers a somewhat fair price for something then it gets jacked up 75 bucks in less than 3 mos it gets annoying. I remember when useltons opened, I couldnt do a year at 1k either but found other sources.I also bore witness to customers fleeing the high dollar range when they went in asking to shoot for the first time and started getting racked into buying a 5 k dollar 1911. Useltons shop is closed.. they had,(past tense) the nicest range..but pricing and Cust svc ran everyone off. Relief is a wonderful thing...bait n jack isn't.

$400 means exclusivity.  It is all about the clientele you are fishing for.  The Charlie Haffner range is the best deal around here IMO but it can really pack out.  If you have a range and want to bring in only people of a certain affluence, then you charge more.  This is your filter and it keeps the range less crowded.  400 bucks is too rich for my blood for a range membership, but I have a buddy who would drop that without a second thought just for the exclusivity.

• Like 1
[quote name="piercedan" post="870460" timestamp="1356709385"]$400 means exclusivity.  It is all about the clientele you are fishing for.  The Charlie Haffner range is the best deal around here IMO but it can really pack out.  If you have a range and want to bring in only people of a certain affluence, then you charge more.  This is your filter and it keeps the range less crowded.  400 bucks is too rich for my blood for a range membership, but I have a buddy who would drop that without a second thought just for the exclusivity.[/quote] Not to mention the super cool lounge area and central heat and air. I love Charlie. He's a dear friend and I will never stop shooting there but it gets colder than a well diggers butt some days. He's done so much over what the Owl Hollow crew did. Bless him.
  • Like 1