Lower receiver panic! with a happy ending.

Guest sL1k

I wanted another AR and was looking for a m&p sport (of course I was waiting for the right deal) or a gas piston AR. Then the recent tragedy happened and figured out if I didn’t get one on order I would miss out. I searched and searched found nothing but items out of stock or inflated prices. I figured the best deal I could get at this point was to get an upper and lower and put them together (probably should have started my search there).

Since I wanted a gas piston rifle I ordered an Adams Arms upper, then began the search for a stripped lower IN STOCK no dice. If a site sold lowers I probably sent an e-mail asking an ETA on when they would have a lower (only 1 e-mailed back). I read that another member picked up a CMT tactical billet lower at their LGS, a lower that is made right here in TN. I sent them an e-mail and checked out their website (site did not show they were out of stock but I didn’t want to be in a pre order situation). This was about 4 days into my search and 5pm on the Saturday before Christmas. I was shocked to see a reply 1 hour later from Jeff Cross of Cross Machine and Tool. He advised me that they were out of stripped lowers but had a Brown upper/lower combo in stock and if I wanted it. I replied asking a question about the color received a reply. I was tempted but declined and asked if they knew when they would have the stripped lowers back in stock (at this point its 8pm). I was excited with the prospect of having a TN receiver well I received no reply and just continued on my search all the while banging my head against the wall. I have my upper, a lower build kit from PSA, and a halo sight all ordered. BUT NO LOWER!!!

Today I receive another e-mail from Jeff Cross. “I have 1 lower left for you if you want it, its from our first production batch & has safe/fire markings instead of pictograms, Let me know today.”
I responded pretty quickly that I wanted it and called him to pay for it. I asked how busy they were he advised that they took their site down to prevent orders and opened it back up this morning and within 5 minutes had 60 preorders for their January production run which will be 600 total and shipping out in Feb.

At that point I realized that people were pre ordering and I was looking at the site daydreaming about a billet lower made in TN, Im e-mailing the owner asking questions he has probably been asked 200 times already “when will you have my EBR drug in stock!!!!”. He remembers the day after Christmas that he may have one of their first production run lowers digs it out and e-mails me about it. That’s pretty cool if you ask me.

Here I was wondering if I am going to get a lower by February, and as it turns out the lower will actually beat the upper and lower build kit to the house lol. Edited by sL1k
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for you.

I had sped up my planned time frame and ordered another upper from PSA to close out my AR endeavors ('cept for a .22LR upper at some point) about 3 days after the CT thing (PSA hadn't bumped price), didn't really expect them to even get close to their original delivery estimate, but got notice today that it's shipped right on it.

Ironically, only took about 4 more days than just some parts I had ordered previously, even before the depth of the current panic.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I saw that pink upper lower combo too. I've got some cerakote I ain't skeered! LoL And thank you blackpearl I never would have heard of them if it wasn't for your post. I got a lower serial number than you did so I'm guessing you got a first production run too. Edited by sL1k
Website shows they have matched upper/lowers in stock in pink. I know some of you guys that are secure in your manhood wouldn't mind owning a pink gun...lol. Seriously though, sl1k good to hear you had a positive experience with them too. I will order from them again in the future.

Right now I could deal with a pink AK.  At least it wouldn't be evil black.  :D

Seriously i am looking.  Going to check them out.

I guess later down the road can you have it painted and it still be fine?

If not, i have a great idea for an improved brass catcher.

Edited by vontar
[quote name='FIST' timestamp='1356797039' post='871336']That's sharp! If I saw correctly that has a screw for the bolt catch instead of a roll pin?[/quote] Yep even included an Allen wrench for it.
I emailed them a copy of my ffls license. He said its usually faxed to them. If there is a space for order comments include the name of your FFL then have your ffl fax them a copy they will match it up by name. I did my order over email/phone.

if you would a bit closer I would get with you and have you order and FFL transfer to me.

I know some local FFL's but don't think they are too keen on establishing contacts. I think they would prefer to order and sell.  waiting to hear back from one that I know of.

If you use gun brokers ffl finder see if you can find a residential addy ffl. Generally it will be the guy with the lowest transfer rate they want transfer business. If TGO had a sponsor in Chatt I would have went with them.

yup, i know of one in Oak Ridge.  I talked to him a few days before Christmas.  reasonable fees.

BTW, I rushed in a bit faster then I intended on my AR built.  The price seemed fair, the color I won't feel like less of a man shooting my wifes AR  :D

Serious I am going to have to look into options of having the pink stripped off or having it coated over. 

As I start the build, I am going to have a world of questions and requests for suggestions.

Edited by vontar
[quote name="sL1k" post="871557" timestamp="1356814685"]I got a complete upper so all I'm having to put together is the lower which should be easy. The next one however I want to build my own upper.[/quote] The upper is the easiest part. I did the same thing though, built lowers for awhile and finally decided to take the dive and haven't looked back.

As I start the build, I am going to have a world of questions and requests for suggestions.

If you don't have lower parts kit yet, I recommend CMMG, about same price as most of the mainstream ones, but has the parts separated into colored bags, so you don't have to match up the springs and pins and whatnot on some picture or chart to know which goes where. That along with a YouTube vid or two as you work makes first time lower assembly piece of cake.

I used  this one, two parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4KfUaVp8M

- OS

Thanks OS.

Yea this is going to be my first one for sure.  Never even helped clean an AR before.  :ugh:

All I have so far is the Matched upper and lower and 3 Pmags I got from Ebay.

I am going to have to get everything else yet.  Going to have to decide on things like the barrel.  I am going to have my work cut out for me that is for sure.

OS, I was reading the thread about pistol to rifle and back to pistol.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/54365-ar15-pistol-to-rifle-and-back-to-pistol/

I don't think I am going to worry about making a pistol one, but that make something stand out on the CMT Tac page.

MULTI CAL MARKED LOWER ( Pistol marked- available special order)

then in that other thread I read 

Question 18 should be "other firearm" and question 29 should be "receiver".

Almost too much for a person.

But I did like the thought of the 308 pistol example

Edited by vontar

Doesn't matter what the lower is marked. Some used to say "multi", some "pistol", saw 6.8AR's today said "custom pistol" or something like that.

There are only 3 checkboxes on type of firearm on 4473, "handgun", "long gun", "other firearm". Lower, even a built one, is "other firearm".

Then at end there is section that FFL writes in, where it is supposed to be "receiver", but the 3 checkboxes are he most important part.

A receiver is never supposed to be transferred as "handgun" or "long  gun". Only if there is indeed a pistol or rifle upper on it at the time of transfer, then it is indeed a "hand gun" or "long gun".

A receiver you configure first as a pistol can go back and forth from pistol to rifle to pistol, and indeed even a "firearm", too (that's another story).

A receiver you configure first as a rifle must stay a rifle, or a SBR with stamp.

And yes, only you know what you first did with a lower, but that's the law.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest carter

SBR is a money racket... some scheme the ATF came up with to fund who knows what... does it really make a difference... AR-pistol or a short barrel AR (( shurgs )) whats the big deal