I want to learn to weld

Some good advice and some fun in this thread.  As some of the most serious posters said, look around at the nearest state trade school or community college for a basic welding course.  I would concentrate on the stick/TIG welding stuff.  Better to learn it first.  That's how we trained in the "old days".  The comments RE:  The miller AC/DC machine(s) are excellent advice.  GMAW or "wire welding" is a specialty thing used in autos and production shops.  Ya can always learn it later.  Once ya learn the stick technique, the rest is easy.  All this stuff is kin to eachother.  Check this book out:http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/9994925822/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all.   Buy the cheapest one.  They all say about the same thing.  Drop by your local welding supply house (...hunt a big one like Holston Gas or another large operation....).  Ask them for their welding and electrode guides and do a bit of reading.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck.  Welding is kinda like shootin; the more ya practice after ya learn the fundamentals; the better ya get.

leroy

Now a little trivia...

If you are around a location that does welding and has several welders who do it on a regular basis...

most will have one thing in common... besides being poor and dirty! :stunned:

It's their eyes... better than 90% will have dark eyes(brown)!

It's been said that dark eyes can adjust to the arc better and is less effected by strong light.

If you do welding for a living and have light colored eyes... you are a rare breed! :up:

Guest Broomhead

I want to learn to weld too. My FIL is a stage-crafter and knows how to weld most things. I just have to get a welding rig for us to work with at home.

The part about dark eyes being less affected by bright light is bogus in my experience. My eyes are so dark brown that it's hard to see my pupils, even in daylight. However, my eyes are very sensitive to light, almost to the point of photophobia. I can't stand going out in the sunshine without dark sunglasses.

I want to learn to weld too. My FIL is a stage-crafter and knows how to weld most things. I just have to get a welding rig for us to work with at home.

The part about dark eyes being less affected by bright light is bogus in my experience. My eyes are so dark brown that it's hard to see my pupils, even in daylight. However, my eyes are very sensitive to light, almost to the point of photophobia. I can't stand going out in the sunshine without dark sunglasses.

"Sensitivity to light is the inability to tolerate light, medically known as photophobia. In someone who is light sensitive, any type of light source (sunlight, fluorescent light, incandescent light) can cause discomfort. Photophobia typically causes a need to squint or close the eyes, and headache, nausea, or other symptoms may be associated with photophobia. People with light-colored eyes are more likely to have sensitivity to bright light than those with darker-pigmented eyes. Sensitivity to light is caused by a number of conditions that affect the eye as well as conditions that affect the entire body."

Nothing is 100%.

I do know welders that have blue eyes. Most with light-colored eyes will have a problem seeing "detail" when they weld.

Many new welders tell me they see the light but can't see the amount of weld or the true location of travel. And in some cases changing the lens shade doesn't seem to help. But, I do know welders that has the same problem with brown eyes!

A good test is look at the Sun with a #10 welding lens. If you can see the rim of the Sun in a sharp line without it bothering your eyes, welding shouldn't be a problem. If you see the detail but the light seems to be to bright, switch to a #11.

Amperage used on a welding machine also controls the amount of light given off by the arc. The higher.. the brighter.

When I TIG weld below 50 amps, I will switch to a #9... my normal lens is the #10. On heavy metal where it calls for more amperage, I'll use a #11.

If your eyes seem to be dry and tired after welding 2 or 3 hours.. you lens shade maybe to light? Check to make sure you have NO LIGHT LEAKS around the lens in your hood! If you're working in a location where you will get a reflection from behind you when you are welding... you may be getting a "stray bullet" that will burn your eyes!

The worst "flash burn" to my eyes happened this way!

I was TIG welding inside a stainless tank, it was heavy metal and the amps were set high. The reflection coming in the rear of my hood gave me a hell of a burn to both eyes!

If you have this problem... use a "Arab-Cloth" on your hood! This is a cloth(rag) tapped to your hood to cover the back of your head... if you see ANY reflection from the rear... you best cover your back!!

Guest Broomhead
"Sensitivity to light is the inability to tolerate light, medically known as photophobia. In someone who is light sensitive, any type of light source (sunlight, fluorescent light, incandescent light) can cause discomfort. Photophobia typically causes a need to squint or close the eyes, and headache, nausea, or other symptoms may be associated with photophobia. People with light-colored eyes are more likely to have sensitivity to bright light than those with darker-pigmented eyes. Sensitivity to light is caused by a number of conditions that affect the eye as well as conditions that affect the entire body."

I wasn't saying you were wrong or that it was totally untrue, just that my personal experience was otherwise. I have never known that people with light eyes were more sensitive to light. I learn something new every day, just as everyone should.

I wasn't saying you were wrong or that it was totally untrue, just that my personal experience was otherwise. I have never known that people with light eyes were more sensitive to light. I learn something new every day, just as everyone should.

Yeah.. I knew what you were says... "...in my experience".

Everyone is different... even from Tennessee! :pleased:

If you're into making knives, guess you've already has a gas torch for brazing and soldering?

Not to many use oxy-acetylene welding anymore, but it is better than electric hand welding when the part is under vibration and oscillating conditions.

Electric weld sets up stress at the weld joint, gas welding doesn't.