Taylor Swift and one of her bodyguards

QuietDan

Yeah, and she went to school with mine...

That's great! Hendersonville?

I met her in a green room I was manning (which as you know is a small refuge backstage for performers) -- and had a chance to talk with her and her mum for about 15 minutes before other artists came in and joined us. Smart. Sweet. Well-raised. Thinking all the time. Growing. Learning.

She played Alan Jackson's "Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning" that night. For Alan Jackson, who was being inducted into the Songwriters' Hall of Fame. Alan Jackson said it was the prettiest version of his song he ever heard. Taylor Swift was in elementary school on 9/11. Scared little girl watching planes hit buildings and people jumping to their deaths.

Well before and after 9/11, some of us go overseas to "defend the country." And you come back, and with all the stupidity and venality in the country, you wonder, "Why bother?"

Then, you become more aware of the quality of certain individuals. How much they grew and developed and succeeded and influenced over the time you were gone. For me, Taylor Swift is iconic in that manner. I appreciate her music and her songwriting talent and her curiosity about the world around her and her passion to please her millions of young fans and the great good service she provides them by showing them the way forward through the minefield our culture has become. I appreciate her known charity -- $4 MILLION to the Country Music Hall of Fame, Millions to flood and tornado relief -- and I appreciate her unknown charity, hours of one on one performing and appearances for desperately ill children. 

Yeah, I'd like to think I'm a Taylor Swift "bodyguard" -- defender if you will -- of her and hardworking, smart, talented, compassionate youth JUST LIKE HER. Your daughter perhaps. My niece.  A real part of the country worth defending.

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 2