Purchasing first Carry Weapon (first handgun at that)

Guest RonB

First and foremost, I don't make this decision lightly.  This is not a response to the event in CT.  I have been thinking about this for years.  The fact that I have three children now has nearly solidified this decision.

SO...I went to GnL in Hendersonville and D&T in Rivergate.  A friend accompanied me who has a carry permit and, in my circle of friends, is the most knowledgeable of handguns.  He has a Taurus P92 and a XD45.  GnL was SLAMMED...probably 40-45 customers in their building.  I had been looking at some Taurus compacts mainly due to price...and I still might go that way...Taurus feels good in my had...haven't fired it.  Went to D&T...not nearly as busy so more helpful.  Was shown the same Taurus I saw at GnL....was also shown the XD45 and a XD9(M)....here comes the question.....

I understand the differences in the standard XD and the XDM's....but what does that feel like? (BTW we came back to my house and I put 5 magazines through his XD45....felt great)

Is the M going to be more accurate due to its different barrel?  Are the ergonomics that noticable?  Is the trigger pull worth it?  Are you just really paying for the added accessories?  Will a gun novice like me even be able to tell the difference between a standard XD and a M?

Thanks,

Ron

Edited by RonB
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the XDm you get a more aggressive texture on the grip, interchangeable grip panels, The back of the gun by the beavertail is releived a little more and slightly higer,   XDm dissasembles without having to dry fire it, shorter movement of the stock triggers, thinner slide, longer barrel, Different sights  giving you a longer sight radius, and finally increased magazine capacity.  So you do get something for the extra your spending.  Whether or not thats worth it for you depends on how comfortable the guns are for you.  I do think even a novice could tell the differences especially once youve handeled and shot both. 

HI Ron, 

I respect you for making an informed decision.  As you saw, many folks are just running around and buying their first gun in fear/panic.   It took me 4 trips to Academy with my wife 7-8 years ago until we finally decided to buy.  It was a very emotional purchase for us; I remember my wife cried twice (which is why it took us 4 trips) and the first 3 times, we didn't make the purchase.

(on a good note, the 2nd, 3rd, etc. purchases were MUCH easier). =)

Anyway, to your question.  I've only shot the XD and XDMs a few times but never owned.  I have owned several Berettas in full and subcompact forms.  I carried the Px4 SC for several years. 

Your mileage may vary but I'm not sure I would have enjoyed this as much as I do if I started with a subcompact before I got the full size.  The full size is just easier to shoot and have as a bedside/home defense gun.  (my opinion only). 

Also, there is enough 45 vs 9 debates out there.  This is just my take.  I shoot both.  If you're not reloading your own ammo, 45 can get really expensive.  That's why my first semi autos were 9mms.  I knew I could practice with a 9 twice as much since it costs much less than 45.

And last, same advice I got from the friend who got me into this (and I still follow which is why it took me forever to get a bolt action rifle)... Get now what you can't get later.  A 1911 with 7 rounds will likely never get banned or at least be among the last to get banned... if there any that are hard to get later, it'll be high capacity semi autos... like a full size XD in 9mm. (they hold 17 rounds I believe?)  I'd get that and then later on, I'd get the 45. =)

(and always good advice, if time affords it, go shoot a few first before you buy.  You may realize you prefer revolvers after all).

Guest bkelm18
First and foremost, I don't make this decision lightly.  This is not a response to the event in CT.  I have been thinking about this for years.  The fact that I have three children now has nearly solidified this decision.

SO...I went to GnL in Hendersonville and D&T in Rivergate.  A friend accompanied me who has a carry permit and, in my circle of friends, is the most knowledgeable of handguns.  He has a Taurus P92 and a XD45.  GnL was SLAMMED...probably 40-45 customers in their building.  I had been looking at some Taurus compacts mainly due to price...and I still might go that way...Taurus feels good in my had...haven't fired it.  Went to D&T...not nearly as busy so more helpful.  Was shown the same Taurus I saw at GnL....was also shown the XD45 and a XD9(M)....here comes the question.....

I understand the differences in the standard XD and the XDM's....but what does that feel like? (BTW we came back to my house and I put about 5 clips through his XD45....felt great)

Is the M going to be more accurate due to its different barrel?  Are the ergonomics that noticable?  Is the trigger pull worth it?  Are you just really paying for the added accessories?  Will a gun novice like me even be able to tell the difference between a standard XD and a M?

Thanks,

Ron

If you're going to be carrying it, the full size XD's and XDm's are large guns. Something to keep in mind. I'd definitely look at the compacts. Between the XD and XDm, I prefer the XDm personally. Better trigger, better ergos (in my opinion). I wouldn't worry about accuracy a whole lot. Either of the guns will be much more accurate than you. :)

There is no 'one' right choice; that's why there are so many choices.  Since this is your first purchase, you obviously have not shot much, and therefore a 9mm would make sense to me, and would be easier for your wife to join you at the range more often as well.  No big significant difference in the XD and XDm.  You will find fans of both, but the XDm will cost you at least $100 more, and that could be spent on practice ammo.  By the way, either is a fine gun and will serve you well, but if you want a carry gun, they are a little large, and a whole different debate.  Personally the M&P sheild is a very good compromise if you can find one.

Your post is "Purchasing First Carry Weapon".  Full-frame pistols get annoying to carry IMO.  Your are pretty much relegated to carrying in the 3 o'clock position, it snags on your seat belt, and not to mention it prints in anything less than a sweatshirt.  Of course I don't care if I print, but I carry everyday, and want to be comfortable.  Personally I carry a PPK, but you could consider the Sig P232, or the M&P Shield.  Something small, lightweight, easily concealable, and comfortable.  I carry IWB tucked in the 5 o'clock position and forget I have it on.  The Galco J-hook holster allows me to tuck in my polo shirts.

The number one thing with any first pistol is to practice with your carry weapon.  Pistols are a different animal than rifles, and take A LOT of practice to become proficient.  I was at the range yesterday and would be scared to be in the same room as some of those shooters if they were trying to protect a group of people.  Shooters were all over the paper at 5 yards, and I had 9mm rounds hitting my target at 15 years.  WTF, that was an innocent!

It should be noted...this is not my first firearm...I own 3 shotguns and 3 rifles...this new weapon will be in one of 3 places.  My locked gun cabinet, my glovebox or my hip.  This is not a Home Defense weapon...I have that covered

Threeeihty - I have looked at the Kahr and while I feel it is a quality piece, I did not like the way it felt in my hand...

bkelm18 - That is good advice...I have been looking at both compact and sub-c. 

vujade - Great point about the cost between the two just doing a brief look at the webstores, 9mm is about ~30% cheaper...also I read TGO David's sticky "READ THIS... Before posting nonsense about the efficiency of handgun calibers."  After reading that...it has really been boiled down to 9mm and .45.  .40 seems to be the same price as .45.

Ron,

Like others have already said, I respect you for making the decision to get a gun for the right reasons instead of panic. It makes for a much more intelligent/informed buying experience.

You'll get a lot more honest answers here than at most of the gun stores I've seen. They offer advice too, but the gun store employee opinions seem more rooted in personal preference to me. For instance, they want to sell you a gun, so you probably won't hear them suggest going to a range where you can rent and shoot several guns before deciding.

I can't offer specific advice on your XD vs XDm dilema, b/c those 2 don't fit my hand well, so I never owned one. I've shot a few, but not enough to offer informed advice. What I would suggest is that compacts in general take considerable more skill to be accurate with than a full size gun. They conceal easier, but there are holsters that can mitigate that advantage to some degree.

One final point, is prices. Sometimes they indicate quality, but often they indicate popularity moreso. Buying a Taurus as a first gun is a smart choice if price is important. Spending more for a Springfield to get better quality or more features is smart too. Many of us buy/sell/trade multiple times until we find the brand/style/size we like the best. The important part is learning good shooting fundamentals, that will transfer to whatever gun you go with.

Good luck, bro.
First I would advice against the Taurus, except for the PT92, their autos are truly hit or miss. If it honestly feels that great, and feels like the gun for you then give it a try. I have owned a XD and I have shot a friends XDM, but I couldn't tell much of a difference. The XDm is normally a hit with 1911 guys, and if I were a 1911 fan the XDm might impress me more. I only went away from a XD because it lacked aftermarket support and was a lot thicker and taller than a few of its competitors. I had a XD 40 service and other than shooting a little left with everyone was flawless in its ~700 rds. If I bought another Springfield it would be a XD sub com 9mm or a 45 compact. Is a M&P or a Glock out of the question?
I was told about the Walther PPS by a friend and I really like the looks of it. My first choice was a Glock 26 but after seeing the Walther, I changed my mind. It's very slim and has a good trigger.

In a gun that size, the PPS will be hard to beat. JMHO

Guest bkelm18
Haven't held the M&P yet...will give it a shot...Glock is most likely out...I just do not like the way they feel.

M&P's are great guns. You can upgrade the internals with parts from Apex Tactical (very easy to do yourself) that will turn the ok factory trigger into a great trigger.

I absolutely love love love my PPS 9mm. I wear it in a comp tac mtac iwb. Most of the time for work I need something smaller so I carry a Sig P238 or an even smaller Taurus TCP in my pocket. If I had it my way it'd be my PPS all the time. Its also fun to target shoot unlike the TCP. The Shield wasn't out when I got the PPS and it might be a good inexpensive option, if you can find one. My PPS came with 6,7, and 8 round mags. I carry the 7 in the gun with the 6 being backup. Depending on how you plan to carry, with the single stacks you might not need to buy bigger pants. Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

trigger pull is THE top thing for me when picking a carry gun.  As I have grown older, and my hands are about 20 years older than the rest of me so its a major issue.  Back in the day, a beretta 92 first shot DA was nothing, these days, I can pull the trigger but only just and the force and pain throw my aim off. 

I dunno the difference between the xds but whichever trigger you like better is a big deal --- it will affect your accuracy and rate of fire directly. 

Given my issues I prefer a short travel light trigger, mostly single action these days.  You may not have to go that far to find one you like, but, again, trigger pull really makes a difference for anyone in rate of fire and accuracy, even folks with strong healthy hands shoot a SAO faster than a DAO. 

So to answer that question, yes, the trigger systems IS important. 

Edited by Jonnin
Guest DarylDixon
I have 3 XD pistols. My first one was a full sized .45. It's a great gun, but ammo is expensive, capacity is lower, and it's too big to carry.

My next one was the XD 9mm subcompact. I freaking love this gun. I love it so much that I bought a second one. If you have any intention of carrying, I would encourage you to go with either a subcompact 9mm or if you want a .45 get the XDS. It's really thin. If its just for home defense and you won't be carrying, then by all means, get the full sized model.

For me personally, I didn't see enough value in the XDm to get that over the XD. Steer clear of the Taurus. Go for the XD!

You can also lower the cost of an XD by getting the essentials package. It doesn't come with the holster (that you probably won't use) or the mag pouch (that you probably won't use), or the speed loader (there are better loaders available), but it's much cheaper.

Been holding a lot of guns lately.  I finally got to hold a XDS today...didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I would...besides...I have pretty much decided to get a 9mm just due to shooting cost and width of frame, (if I can find the ammo).  I held the XD9 and the Ruger LC9 today.  Loved the size of the Ruger but hated the trigger (double action)  so right now XD9 is winning.

I want to carry IWB but I aint a small guy, 5'10" 230 lbs. and it seems like IWB would be more uncomfortable for me.  So most likely OWB for now and looks like Crossbreed makes a heck of a holster plus they tend to get a lot of compliments.  I want something as snug on me as possible, probably a Snapslide from them in black.  I generally where a tshirt plus another shirt over in cooler weather, summer time I will need to figure something else out as I am generally in shorts and a T or polo tucked in.

If you're worried about width of the frame and yet i see you don't like the ruger LC9, Definately look into a s&w shield in a 9mm.  I have one and it fits nicely inside the waist and out on your hip. I have gotten one of those 5.11 holster shirts for christmas and it helps. Everything is tight against your body and it is comfortable.

I have a Glock 23 and i wish the Shields were available back when I bought my first handgun. The Glock is nice, yet a bit on the bulkier side. No safety, but since i don't have kids not a problem. ( it's my backup handgun these days) either that or when i'm out on the trails. The Shields have an external safety as well as a trigger safety.