Building an AR - Post Ban Which Parts Will Be Available

Guest macmonkey

Guest macmonkey

I'm not asking anyone to predict the future... but I'd love someone who experienced the last ban.

I'm building an AR and despite the panic buying - have been able to buy everything except my bolt carrier group.  They seem to be out everywhere.

My question is - In the event that there is an "Assault Weapons" ban, which parts (if not all) will get banned from production and sale?

I would imagine lower and upper receivers - anything else?

Thanks

rguns.net and aimsuplus have the BCG  i cannot find a lower anywhere :/   a lot of complete uppers have been out of stock. I am going to say lowers and mags are going to be near impossible to find if a ban happens.  

[quote name="RockChucker30" post="865566" timestamp="1356125639"]Under the last ban it was high cap nags, collapsible stocks, flash hiders, etc.[/quote] It is crazy just how stupid our government can be. Those collapsible stocks and flash hiders sure do make a gun extra deadly don't they? If we could just kick out all the Liberal gun haters this country would be a better place. They have absolutely no common sense whatsoever.
  • Like 1
[quote name="Seabeejason" post="865589" timestamp="1356127246"]It is crazy just how stupid our government can be. Those collapsible stocks and flash hiders sure do make a gun extra deadly don't they? If we could just kick out all the Liberal gun haters this country would be a better place. They have absolutely no common sense whatsoever.[/quote] I wouldn't kick anyone out. I would however make an open invitation that those who don't value our constitution are of course welcome to leave. The next time someone mentions how nice it must be to live somewhere with strict gun control like England or Italy, I suggest cordially inviting them to by all means GTFO.
  • Like 1
Under the last ban it was high cap nags, collapsible stocks, flash hiders, etc.

Umm are you sure, I thought the age of the stock, or flash hider had nothing to do with the ban, only the age of the lower receiver which is the 'firearm' under the law.

IE the firearm no matter it's condition was either a pre-ban or post-ban firearm, and you could modify pre-ban firearms to include whatever features you wanted, but couldn't modify post-ban firearms except within the limited scope of the law.

Guest macmonkey
rguns.net and aimsuplus have the BCG  i cannot find a lower anywhere :/   a lot of complete uppers have been out of stock. I am going to say lowers and mags are going to be near impossible to find if a ban happens.  

I owe you big time.

[quote name='macmonkey' timestamp='1356137318' post='865721']rguns.net and aimsuplus have the BCG i cannot find a lower anywhere :/ a lot of complete uppers have been out of stock. I am going to say lowers and mags are going to be near impossible to find if a ban happens. I owe you big time.[/quote] Just like I told another member I searched through 300 sites looking for a lower in stock and kept an eye out for the hard to get stuff I knew people would want. Edited by sL1k

If it's like the '94 ban, the only thing that will be hard to get is recievers. You would be able to buy any new but still be allowed to buy pre-ban guns or recievers. When the '94 ban was in effect, you could still get all the "evil" accessories, you just couldn't put them on a post-ban reciever. New mags over 10 rounds were also illegal to buy but you could still own and buy pre-ban 10 round plus mags.

The new ban could very well cover more than the '94 ban. I've heard everything from turn them all in to you could own pre-ban items but couldn't sell them or pass them on when you die. I've even heard talk of making the new ban just an extension of the '94 ban. I take that to mean that any banned gun or mag bought after 2004 would be considered a post-ban item and illegal to own (meaning it would have to be turned in or destroyed).

All we really have to go by is the '94 ban and the "task force" is using the '94 ban as a template to build off of.

A actually think the '94 ban would have a chance of passing. What we can hope is the libs add enough crazy stuff to it that it won't pass. Dianne Frankinstien has already said if she can get enough votes she'll send the BATF knocking on your door to take all your guns..

I doubt it will be like the last ban.  The Gun Grabbers learned their lesson and won't go down that road again.  IF they can get it through, I suspect we will see new semi-auto rifles of all kinds disappear  I suspect that they will also go for magazine limits of less than than 10 rounds for all weapons.  I see them going for 7, since large caliber revolvers seem to be limited to that.  I would not be surprised to see some sort of tighter restrictions on imports of firearms as well, especially military surplus.  I would think that would include old bolt actions and pistols of all sorts. Gone also will be private transfers between individuals and as well as some sort of limit on ammunition. 

This is precisely the time we should be working on getting certain gun laws repealed, instead of assuming another gun ban is coming down the pike, which I don't think will happen, anyway. 

The 94 AWB was just an inconvenience to me. It was also an impossibility to police every gun for violations. It took

another four years afterward, to  scare people into the reality of our potential future president to put us back in this

mode. The idea of him consolidating power by slapping Boehner around and usurping congressional power, then

by edict, or EO, instituting whatever ban he likes bothers me than this little exercise that's happening now. Democrats

fear what could happen to them if they lost another election cycle due to something like this, and it would cripple

Obama's last four years, with a Senate and House gunning for him. Possibly even the idea of impeachment would

neuter the mutt in the White House. He would just go for his green crap for four more years to kill this country. It's

working, too.

Yeah AR, I am in agreement.  I was frantic initially, but the more I think about it, I don't think a ban is going to happen.  I don't see how it could possibly make it through the congress.  If by some chance I am wrong, the voters could always try to push their state legislators to nullify any such law or executive order.

There seems to be some Republican Politicians that don't mind "compromising" on this issue and our rights.  Manchin in WV, certainly didn't waste anytime coming out for an AWB shortly after the massacre and he had an A rating from the NRA (bet that changes by the next election).   Assuming the Democrats can hold their party together, all they need is 17 House Republicans to roll over on this issue and our goose is cooked.  You know the votes are there in the Senate and you know Obama will sign it.  The party will be over.

There may be a few, but I doubt it will be 17. Manchin is a senate democrat. Don't put him in the House, okay? :D

I'll bet he just lost his "A" rating, also. There are always a few Republicans who talk like that in the House, but phone

calls from constituents work better on them than they do in the Senate.

If, by some chance the House Republicans caved, they would lose their majority, we would have a ban on our hands,

and Matthew Bracken became a soothsayer. I think he kind of already is in a couple of respects.

Oh, my bad on Manchin!!!  I know he is a Senator, but I thought that he was a Republican.  I was using him as an example of a politician changin his mind. 

I hope you are right about that 6.8 AR, but it's Washington and I'm not as confident as you are.  Still I don't think IF it happens, it will happen until Spring at the earliest.  I'm hoping prices come back down as the initial panic settles down.  I need some more .223!

Oh, my bad on Manchin!!!  I know he is a Senator, but I thought that he was a Republican.  I was using him as an example of a politician changin his mind. 

I hope you are right about that 6.8 AR, but it's Washington and I'm not as confident as you are.  Still I don't think IF it happens, it will happen until Spring at the earliest.  I'm hoping prices come back down as the initial panic settles down.  I need some more .223!

Manchin is a classic example of why the NRA should probably never give an A rating to ANY Democrat.

...Assuming the Democrats can hold their party together, all they need is 17 House Republicans to roll over on this issue and our goose is cooked.

There will be 33 more Republicans in the House than Democrats in the next session, with 2 vacancies right now, even though the GOP lost 8 seats there in the last election.

The AWB in '94 passed by only  two votes in a Dem controlled House.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
This is precisely the time we should be working on getting certain gun laws repealed, instead of assuming another gun ban is coming down the pike, which I don't think will happen, anyway. 

nothing is a better defense than a good offense.  I like how you think here.

Now is the time to push, not pull back and try to hang on to what we have.

Guest macmonkey
nothing is a better defense than a good offense.  I like how you think here.

Now is the time to push, not pull back and try to hang on to what we have.

I just shot an email to Sen. Alexander, Sen. Corker and Rep. Cooper.  (Not expecting it will ever be opened on the other end).

I kind of feel like an idiot because I referred to Rep. Cooper as "Sen." Cooper and didn't realize it until after I hit send.. Oh well..