Best Hearing Protection Advice please

Not a true fan of the ear muffs style especially when rifle shooting but still want the best hearing protection at a reasonable cost. Anyone have some advice and experience with inner ear canal protection and some costs? Ive tried the cheap squeeze and expanding inner ear canal type and they just seem to lose their volume fairly quickly. Thanks in advance, Newman

I know you don't like muffs but I'm hooked on the electronic muffs.  I can hear everything around me well but it attenuates the sound of a gun.  This is great when shooting with others because I'm more aware of what others around me are saying and doing and even better when shooting alone because I can hear if someone is approaching.   The low profile design muffs make it possible to use with a rifle.   

• Like 1

Hear-Pro or Westone custom ear plugs.  I have one pair of Hear-Pro's that I had made at the 3 Gun competition at Rockcastle and 2 pair of Westones that came from Elite Audiology in Mt Juliet.  Both will run in the $100-140 range with acoustic filters, but they are custom fit to your ears and last a VERY long time.

When I shoot indoors, I wear my plugs under electronic muffs.  I can talk and hear everybody but the weapon report is more quiet than a medium thump on your chest.

FWIW, some of the language people use in the range when they think no one can hear is borderline appalling... if you're sensitive to that type of thing.

Mac

• Like 1
so it is possible to wear some of these muffs and plugs and you can still carry on a conversation but it will mute out the gun shots? That is very interesting.

sorta.  I have had no luck with them for anything bigger than .22  --- they either have terrible sound reduction, work poorly for conversation, or both, unless you are willing to pay more than a new gun costs for your set.  

I wasn't a big fan of muffs either.. tried several brands - had a pair of PRO EARS for years but they're kinda Bulky...understand you'd not prefer muffs but I picked up a pair of Howard Leight IMPACTs - electronic... love them.. they're very compact, thin, etc... fold to a small footprint and I've forgot I've had them on they're so light and comfortable... may be worth looking in to... can be found retailing around ~$60-~80.  I can get you a pair if you're remotely interested... email me for the price..

Good luck!

Bought a pair of Peltor electronic muffs from WallyWorld for about $60.  They take four AAA batteries.  Wore them to an IDPA match and had no trouble whatsoever hearing normal conversation, yet the gunshots were blotted the same as if I just had regular muffs.  

Peltor sport-tac electronic muffs.  The best 100 bucks I've spent on ear pro over the years.  I've had mine for about 5 years now and they still work great.  I go to a lot of classes and being able to hear what's going on without having to don and doff ear-pro is essential.  Not to mention they are comfortable. 

Mike

Edited by Mike

Nothing better made than the Howard Leight ear plugs. And I mean nothing.

The ones you squish down, insert, and hold in there till they expand back and seal. Get them in there correctly and they deaden sound like nothing else.

Drawback, you literally can't hear a thing, people pretty much have to yell right in your ear.

I have pair of Leight electronic muffs and they pale by comparison; don't seal all that well to begin with and the electronic cutout seems too late.

Was test flighting my AR pistol the other day, loudest gun I have I reckon. The Leight plugs made it like a cap gun.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="866501" timestamp="1356223162"]Nothing better made than the Howard Leight ear plugs. And I mean nothing.   The ones you squish down, insert, and hold in there till they expand back and seal. Get them in there correctly and they deaden sound like nothing else.   Drawback, you literally can't hear a thing, people pretty much have to yell right in your ear.   I have pair of Leight electronic muffs and they pale by comparison; don't seal all that well to begin with and the electronic cutout seems too late.   Was test flighting my AR pistol the other day, loudest gun I have I reckon. The Leight plugs made it like a cap gun.   - OS[/quote] I have the Leight electric ones on my Santa list, would you recommend them. They don't have to seal perfectly, I just want a good over the ear muffs that I can hear normal conversations with. With those darn ear plugs, I can't hear anything, especially when shooting clays and when I have the thrower switch in my hand and others say "pull" multiple times. It's a little embarrassing.
No, not the model I have, but don't have them with me out of town here, so can't tell you which they are.

Thanks, the one that was considering is the Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs. What I like is the passive 30 NRR. That appears to be some the best out there.
Thanks, the one that was considering is the Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs. What I like is the passive 30 NRR. That appears to be some the best out there.

Mine just don't seal well around ears, so it doesn't matter what the NRR is. Would have to press them into head with both hands to utilize it. Cheap WalMart muffs work much better, but of course they stick out too much to even get a cheek weld on some rifles.

My Leight model also has mini plug for audio input. No big deal in total scheme of things, but with apparently no mini amp in there, can just barely hear my Sansa cranked all the way up, so it's a worthless feature.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

SureFire worn loosely in the ears and then either MSA Sordins or Peltor Comtacs.  The perfect combination.  Jealously guard your hearing, its something that you never get back once lost.  It took me a couple firefights in houses and ambushes to figure it out.  Ultimately, paying that higher price for good ear pro is an excellent investment.  You can get Sordins for $150-185ish....worth every penny and then some.  And thats cheaper than they've ever been before.

• Like 1

MSA Sordin...  not really another option at that level.  I only have one set of ears and they have already suffered.  Anyone who's willing to spend thousands of dollars on their shooting hobby but won't spend more than $20 on ear protection isn't doing something right.

I've had Peltor 6S's... not recommended.  Only 19dB, kept cutting out, and changing the batteries makes detail stripping a Ruger MKII look like tying your shoe.

Had a set of Radians... don't remember the model, they worked much better and the battery compartment was accessible from the outside, but I'm pretty sure they were designed for someone with an infant's head.

Pro-Ears are great, work spectacularly, but they are VERY large.  Shooting a rifle with them is not easy because just about the time I would get a solid cheekweld, they would hit the stock and start to break the seal.

Howard Leights, had both electronics and plain, both worked well.  Can't say much about them, other than they are "good enough"

Sonic Defenders... never did a thing for me.  Thought I had the highest rated ones available, closed the filters... still winced every time someone fired at an outdoor range.

Lots of options out there, but some will work better for you than others.  Try as many as you can, but like I and others have said, don't skimp.  Can't replace your ears when they wear out and tinnitus will drive you CRAZY...

Mac

Update, I did purchase the day after Christmas the Howard Leight R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs. Actually purchased them from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-R-01902-Electronic-Shooting-Earmuffs/dp/B007BGSI5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356898239&sr=8-1&keywords=Howard+Leight+by+Honeywell+R-01902

These are my first electronic earmuffs. They are the large ones, not the low profile ones.  All that I can say is outstanding. With the power off, they sealed perfectly and dampen the sound really well. In my garage I have a radio that is playing most of the time, and with the muffs on, I can not hear the radio period. I have some cheap earmuffs from Northern Tool that I wear when weed eating or when I use the leaf blower, and with the cheap headphones on I can faintly hear the radio playing. Even when I use the foam ear plugs, inserted the way they are suppose to be (trained at work), again I can still hear the radio very faintly. However, with the new ear muffs on, absolutely nothing with the power off. When I turn power on, I can hear the radio, and then some. I was concerned after what OS said about his not fitting well, I was prepared to send back, but not now. Very good. Highly recommend.

Update, I did purchase the day after Christmas the Howard Leight R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs. Actually purchased them from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-R-01902-Electronic-Shooting-Earmuffs/dp/B007BGSI5U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356898239&sr=8-1&keywords=Howard+Leight+by+Honeywell+R-01902

These are my first electronic earmuffs. They are the large ones, not the low profile ones.  All that I can say is outstanding. With the power off, they sealed perfectly and dampen the sound really well. In my garage I have a radio that is playing most of the time, and with the muffs on, I can not hear the radio period. I have some cheap earmuffs from Northern Tool that I wear when weed eating or when I use the leaf blower, and with the cheap headphones on I can faintly hear the radio playing. Even when I use the foam ear plugs, inserted the way they are suppose to be (trained at work), again I can still hear the radio very faintly. However, with the new ear muffs on, absolutely nothing with the power off. When I turn power on, I can hear the radio, and then some. I was concerned after what OS said about his not fitting well, I was prepared to send back, but not now. Very good. Highly recommend.

Just to follow up, this seems to be the model I have: R-01526, although that number isn't on the muffs anywhere:

hyv-14816_1z.jpg

http://www.casa.com/p/howard-leight-r-01526-impact-sport-electronic-earmuff-309155?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_C&utm_term=HYV-14816&utm_campaign=GoogleAW&CAWELAID=1309102088&utm_content=pla&adtype=pla&cagpspn=pla

- OS