Dogs Running Deer, What Can Be Done?

I own some property in an adjoining county.  There are a number of dogs loose in the area and running deer in the woods.  Is it legal to eliminate this threat to the deer population?  I'm a dog lover and hate to do harm to any dogs but I also hate to see them running deer.  I believe dog owners have a responsibility to control their animals.  This is a dilemma for me.  I couldn't find anything on this. 

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a hold of the Local Game Warden, They might be able to help.

I would say there is nothing you can do, till you ask.

Now I could be wrong, I have been before and will be again.

Edited by RED333

Do you know who the owners are? If so, ask them to control their dogs and keep them off your property. File a complaint with the sherrifs dept (they'll be a record of your complaint). You could file a complaint with "Animal Control", but most likely will not get much in the way of action. Contact TWRA and report this. It could be someone is hunting deer with dogs, who knows...

Then you must make a informed decision on what to do by eliminating the "problem" or, watch the deer getting chased by dogs. I'm not going to tell you what to do. I know what I'd do...I love dogs too. I also love deer!

Dave S

Yeah I dont know what SSS means either.  I agree of trying to report it first and contact the Warden.  We spend a lot of time, effort and money to fuel the passion we have for the outdoors.  We eliminate the predators on our property to increase our prey.  Don't get caught though or they may burn your place down or vandalize your property.  

Chasing deer is one my dog's favorite things to do.  But she only does it at my parents house.  Mom encourages it as it helps keep the deer from eating her flowers and I encourage it as the dog will sleep for hours afterwards. 

That said, there is a state leash law that most people are unaware of.  Dogs are not permitted to "run at large".  Contact the owners if you can find them.  If that doesn't work, contact animal control.  If that doesn't work, contact the local sheriff and TWRA.  If that doesn't work...

Edited by peejman