Three Reasons Gun Control Isn't Going to Happen

Guest bkelm18

In the next ocuple months as emotions cool down, the atmosphere will have a very different feel and I beleive getting anything as massive as an AWB through Congress will be an uphill battle. I fully expect smaller changes though. Gunshow loop-hole, etc...

He's right though. This is just the same song and dance that happens every time.

Edited by bkelm18
Birth Place: San Francisco, CA Home City: San Francisco, CA

I hope she is home tonight in San Francisco., and around 12:20am(12-21-12)! San Francisco has a 4.5 earth quake(4.5 is very minor, it's an "attention getter, nothing else", I lived 40+years in Ca.) Maybe she'll rise up in bed and scream, "IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD", and fall over ....

Could also be a bait and switch by the administration with the media helping. I mean if it isn't on television people will forget about it. People then concentrate on something else and the gun control measures will be easier to get passed under the radar. I honestly belive that the administration is so bold they would push it through regardles of how many constituents call or write their offices. We will see because I am gonig tos tart writing a letter a day while they are on break.

One of the biggest things we need to make sure of is if there is a vote it needs to be a by name vote and not a voice vote. Voice votes is where whoever makes the most noise wins and the noise level is subjective to the person asking for the vote. This is how Charlie Rangel, yes the same one with ethics violations and a slew of other violations, was able to get the Hughes ammendment banning machine guns passed.

Dolomite

• Like 1
Pardon my ignorance but how would they keep people from private party sales of firearms. Wouldn't that require a registration of some sort?

I'm exhausted from work and I'm not thinking logically...
Guest bkelm18
Pardon my ignorance but how would they keep people from private party sales of firearms. Wouldn't that require a registration of some sort?

I'm exhausted from work and I'm not thinking logically...

Realistically it's unenforceable for guns acquired prior to the law going into affect. You can always say, "Oh I sold that before they closed the gun show loop-hole". If you bought the gun after the law changed, I suppose they would figure it out if they performed a trace. In practice, no, there's no way to realistically stop private transactions other than the threat of legal punishment.

Guest ThePunisher
[quote name="CCI" post="864641" timestamp="1356043275"]They would be committing political career suicide! But how in the hell Dianne Feinstein keeps getting re-elected is beyond me![/quote] Stupid people keep electing stupid politicians. You can't fix stupid, and that was proven with the re-election of the Marxist in November.

On the optimistic side, the '94 AWB was passed by only 2 votes in the House, and it was an Dem controlled House. And many of those Dems paid the price two months later in the midterm election.

On the not so optimistic side, even though the House is GOP controlled now, the party ain't what it used to be, the electorate ain't what it used to be, and I'm not sure it's so automatic for a lot these RINOS to assume they'll be deposed in two years if they knuckle under.

Then again, many may already see the handwriting on the wall swinging the other way in 2 years, too, so might vote to assuage what they perceive as their now more progressive constituency. Or not, might toe more of the conservative line if they feel they're toast anyway. Certainly the only sure votes to forestall this will be from those who are certain that doing so is a plus for their reelection, barring the perhaps 1 in 10 (if that) that might actually vote with a conscience toward the Constitution.

It's also difficult to estimate exact GOP constituency in regard to this, too. Certainly the Tea Party inspired newbies are staunchly fiscal zealots, and talk a good game about personal responsibility vs the nanny state, but I don't know if this fervor extends to the same degree with firearm rights.At any rate, with the GOP not even able to organize a clear consensus on the fiscal cliff strategy right now, I'm not sure it can orchestrate a circle jerk with any degree of solidarity, let alone a unified hard core 2A stand.

Which is all to say, I just honestly barely recognize this country anymore, and don't feel confident in predicting any outcome of all this.

- OS

• Like 1
Realistically it's unenforceable for guns acquired prior to the law going into affect. You can always say, "Oh I sold that before they closed the gun show loop-hole". If you bought the gun after the law changed, I suppose they would figure it out if they performed a trace. In practice, no, there's no way to realistically stop private transactions other than the threat of legal punishment.

Not without a registry.

they will go after ammo cant take back all the guns but if you have no ammo a gun dosent even make a good club

And that's what I'm concerned about! Isn't it microstamping where every casing has it's own serial #. I believe what I've seen before on this is that we would have a year or two too shoot up all of the non-stamped ammo and then we would be in violation of the law possessing the old non-stamped stuff.

That article made a lot of good points.

Mac. The GOP only needs to make a reduction in middle class taxes pass in the House. The pressure is on the

Senate and President to follow on, and everyone knows what Obama's attitude is on that. Boehner is too stupid to

do something suggested by Tea Party members, and by neglecting that, his career as Speaker will be diminished,

along with a Republican majority. The Democrat rhetoric is tied to "middle class tax cuts and making wealthier

people pay a little more. They would have no way out if the House actually cut the middle class taxes and left the

rest alone.

Boehner is committing political suicide for the party, best I can tell. Maybe the Tea Party will rise out of the ashes.

Edited by 6.8 AR
And that's what I'm concerned about! Isn't it microstamping where every casing has it's own serial #. I believe what I've seen before on this is that we would have a year or two too shoot up all of the non-stamped ammo and then we would be in violation of the law possessing the old non-stamped stuff.

The ammo isn't stamped, the micro-stamping is done by the head of the firing pin onto the primer face.  

"I see the gunshow loophole going away"

This one does not upset me personally because I don't buy and sell guns to and from strangers.  I don't want the heat from the BATFE because I bought a stolen gun or sold one to someone who shouldn't have it.  When they talk about the loop hole are they talking about one guy passes another guy and they buy/trade guns or are they talking about the guy who sets up a table with 20 guns on it and they treat it like a private party sale?