Para Black Ops 1911

Krull

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a para ordnance double stack 1911 that i put countless dollars into to make it run right.  If you get one (or any 1911) be prepared to troubleshoot it until it makes you mad and crazy.  And don't even post problems until you put atleast 500 round through it to "break" it in.  I sent mine in to Para Ordnance to have them send it back dirty and having the same problems with feeding.  The barrels have a feed ramp unlike other 1911s and they have some other differences.  My friend got a taurus 1911 and had just as many problems with his until about 300 rounds in it.  Moral of the story, don't expect a 1911 with tight "match grade" tolerances be as reliable out of the box as a glock with loose tolerances.

I have a para ordnance double stack 1911 that i put countless dollars into to make it run right.  If you get one (or any 1911) be prepared to troubleshoot it until it makes you mad and crazy.  And don't even post problems until you put atleast 500 round through it to "break" it in.  I sent mine in to Para Ordnance to have them send it back dirty and having the same problems with feeding.  The barrels have a feed ramp unlike other 1911s and they have some other differences.  My friend got a taurus 1911 and had just as many problems with his until about 300 rounds in it.  Moral of the story, don't expect a 1911 with tight "match grade" tolerances be as reliable out of the box as a glock with loose tolerances.

Sorry but I have to disagree. I bought a Remington R1 1911 with a "match grade" barrel and have had no problems whatsoever.

My Metro Arms has yet to have a problem running. And that is in ~3,500 rounds now. I did replace the extractor when it was new because it was a little out of spec. But even before that it still ran fine. And a few months later I upgraded because I was going to carry it.

I have had quite a few 1911's and I don't recall ever getting frustrated by any of them. Even the Colt compact I had ran fine.

People who have problems with 1911's are ones that do not do maintanence. A 1911 needs a fresh recoil spring every 1,000-1,500 rounds. They also need the extractor inspected and possibly tweaked about the same time as it can loose its tension with use or misuse.

There are two things that should NEVER be done with a 1911.

First is never load a round I the chamber and drop the slide. The extractor is designed for the round to slide under it during cycling. If you drop the slide on a loaded round this is can break the nose off, bend the nose or cause the extractor to loose its tension. Any of these conditions kill reliability.

Second, never drop the slide on and empty chamber. I know it sounds cool but it damages the fiream. The round being loaded acts as a shock absorber and slows the slide down some. If you do drop it on an empty chamber it can cause damage to the sear and hammer. It can also cause other problems and should never, ever be done.

These two things cause more problems for a new 1911 owner than anything else. As a matter fact I have a friend who is coming over for me to fix his after a few hundred empty drops. It has gotten to the point now that he cannot drop the slide using the slide release on a full magazine. When he does he hammer drops to half cock. If it ever makes it past the half cock it will AD.

Dolomite
I have a para warthawg i love it, it is what I carry. Academy had the p14 for a little over 700.00 I am very tempted by that lol. I did have some ftf through the first 100 rounds I polished the feed ramp and haven't had one since. Edited by sL1k

i love my glocks and i love my 1911l... looks like the single stack which i would opt for has adjustable sites? on a gun with black ops on the side? seems like thats an oxymoron... just not on my battle ready side arm... but i bought a umarex R350CR and love it...came with all the bells and whistles... didnt buy it for a daily carry piece though, it rides in a safariland drop leg 6004 holster for training... not sure what the price point on the para is...