What do you guys think of this???

Unfortunately, no gun control measures are going to solve this problem. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try...obviously, mentally impaired people need help but even if we change how they are treated; we'll never catch them all before they might chose to go do something like was done at this elementary school. Filling out additional forms isn't going to do it.

Just making sure you understand that I am not suggesting my idea will stop anything. Not suggesting that at all.

They ARE going to pass something......

I'm just trying to give them something to pass that might make them feel better, and at the same time does not hurt US..........

The smart thing to do would be to move
the debate away from the damned gun
and set sights squarely on the dumb
concept of gun free zones, and to address the problem of this piecemeal
abridging of the 2nd amendment, which
will do nothing except reduce our rights,
which has failed every time we let these fools try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, but that is a bit of a stretch given the current climate/administration.

Why do we have to let them pass anything?  I'm not for giving up anymore of my God given rights...  I already put up with too many violations of those rights.

Somebody who has been diagnosed with a "mental illness" can own a firearm today.  It's only if they have been found by a court to be mentally defective...  So, the entire point of your idea is mute.

We don't want this changed, because then a VA Doc saying a Vet has PTSD is enough for the Vet to loose their rights to firearms for life...  Or if a child is mislabeled as having ADHD they would be banned from owning a firearm for the rest of their lives.  It's like a felony conviction without anyway to defend yourself or get the ruling overturned...  I think that is a horribly bad idea.

Finally, this kid reportedly had Aspergers which is NOT a mental illness...  people with this "disorder" aren't anymore violent than the population as a whole...  This kid did what he did not because of the syndrome, but for some other reason altogether. Something in him snapped and he 'went to the dark side', his Aspergers may have been involved in his methodical planning,  or his apparent lack of empathy for the children he killed - we'll likely never know....

But, a lot of this guys who are mass shooters showed no sign of any mental illness or disorder before shooting up these schools...  We can't screen out 100% of the evil people in this world, all we can do is effectively (including cost) protect our society from the threat they pose...  Adding another checkbox to form 4473 isn't the answer to any of these problems.

Just making sure you understand that I am not suggesting my idea will stop anything. Not suggesting that at all.

They ARE going to pass something......

I'm just trying to give them something to pass that might make them feel better, and at the same time does not hurt US..........

• Like 1
Why do we have to let them pass anything?  I'm not for giving up anymore of my God given rights...  I already put up with too many violations of those rights.

Somebody who has been diagnosed with a "mental illness" can own a firearm today.  It's only if they have been found by a court to be mentally defective...  So, the entire point of your idea is mute.

I understand that, I have an FFL. You can say why do we have to let them pass anything, and that is fine, but I don't think that is reality. I don't think my point is moot though. They are going to focus on the guns no doubt.  Getting them to focus on the mental aspect is better than banning. And his mother was putting him in an institution btw.

I will not compromise on a single damn thing. No new gun regulations, PERIOD. Then, when it is all said and done and they find out that arming teachers was a damn good idea, I want to smear it in all their faces. I will not be happy until the Liberals are so demoralized that they will never speak of any type of ban again. We need to stand firm. They will never stop. It is the Liberal way. I will not stand by and let them piss on the Constitution..........and then tell me that I need to "compromise".
This is not a gun issue; this is a mental health issue. A lunatic decided to kill a classroom full of babies. I doubt very much you are going to get any liberals to agree with putting mental cases on a list anywhere.

Sign a piece of paper? This guy killed his mother. I don’t know how or if the guns were secured but I’m pretty sure if I’m willing to kill someone getting their safe combination would be pretty easy.

We need to do something, but the only thing I know to do right now is to send letters to our legislators (not only emails, but stamped letters) that we do not support gun control and won’t vote for those that do.
  • Like 1

We don't want this changed, because then a VA Doc saying a Vet has PTSD is enough for the Vet to loose their rights to firearms for life...  Or if a child is mislabeled as having ADHD they would be banned from owning a firearm for the rest of their lives.  It's like a felony conviction without anyway to defend yourself or get the ruling overturned...  I think that is a horribly bad idea.

Finally, this kid reportedly had Aspergers which is NOT a mental illness...  people with this "disorder" aren't anymore violent than the population as a whole...  This kid did what he did not because of the syndrome, but for some other reason altogether. Something in him snapped and he 'went to the dark side', his Aspergers may have been involved in his methodical planning,  or his apparent lack of empathy for the children he killed - we'll likely never know....

But, a lot of this guys who are mass shooters showed no sign of any mental illness or disorder before shooting up these schools...  We can't screen out 100% of the evil people in this world, all we can do is effectively (including cost) protect our society from the threat they pose...  Adding another checkbox to form 4473 isn't the answer to any of these problems.

Also Doctors today want to shovel out anti-depressants for every little ailment that is not related to mental illness such as cronic pain, smoking deterrent etc. Personally I think there needs to be much more honest research and study on some of these meds that re-arrange brain chemicals, I wonder if the killers are on some of these anti-depressants. I'm sure they help alot of people but every one is different, I suspect that there's some people that may have a psychotic episode that was produced by some of these meds. Before I had a ruptured disc in my neck removed, my doctor asked me if I wanted to try Zoloft for the pain I was experiencing, I told her that I never want to be perscribed any kind of anti-depressant and my concerns about them. She was actually very respectful and understanding of my decision, good doctor IMO. But yes, medical records should stay private and not available unless someone has been comitted by a court or diagnosed with a sever mental illness that would have to be verified by a panel of doctors with degrees in mental illness then ruled by a judge.
But yes, medical records should stay private and not available unless someone has been comitted by a court or diagnosed with a sever mental illness that would have to be verified by a panel of doctors with degrees in mental illness then ruled by a judge.
You want to go through convening a panel of Doctors to hear the case and then present it to a Judge for approval after a Doctor has determined a person is a danger to themselves or others just to keep them from being able to purchase a gun?

You want to go through convening a panel of Doctors to hear the case and then present it to a Judge for approval after a Doctor has determined a person is a danger to themselves or others just to keep them from being able to purchase a gun?

I'm not sure I understand what exactly your asking but I do know there's emergency situations where someone may make threats or if a doctor is convinced that the person is a danger to themselves or someone else but for a "perminent" record of mental illness it should be decided by more than one single doctor, and legally ruled by a judge. If there is an emergency situation with an individual, there should be a temporary suspension but if cleared by a panel of doctors, the suspension is lifted. I just don't want one single doctor to declare someone dangerous and have a perminent record against them.

Who decides what constitutes a mental illness and to what degree? Where will that stop? Nothing is private anymore, under Obamacare it will be less so. Will your pharmacy records come up when your social is put into the computer at the firearms dealer, flagging a medication you are taking that might cause a side effect, or have a warning on it  "Don't drive or operate heavy equipment while taking this medication" with the result being a denial. Will a list of medications prescribed to everyone at your address be accessed and a denial ensue because your 90 year old bed ridden aunt is taking Haldol?

I can hear it now "The denial has nothing to do with you - you are fine - but our records show you have a possibly mentally unstable person living in your residence. You can appeal"... Next please.

Marking yes or no would have no bearing on you being approved or not.

Pssst. The government is not on your side.