Looking for New Carry Gun

I currently carry a 1911 Officer's model in .45acp. I am looking for a new carry pistol (double action) and perferably in .45acp. I will consider any sujestions as long as it is not made of plastic! Would even consider a revolver.

Any ideas?

Dave S

A .45ACP double action revolver…. S&W 625. But it’s an N frame; it’s too big to carry.
The M&P 45 is a great semi-auto. Its double action only, but striker fired is a better term. The plastic on it is over a stainless chassis.
  • Like 1

I recently bought a used S&W 37 and I like carrying this more so than my P238. I'm not built or want to carry a larger weapon but have been itching for a Beretta 92. I just saw a used model 96 DAO in .40cal at OA for $400. but wanting something in .45 cal,  I'm really not familiar with what's available that's not plastic besides other 1911's.

Edited by kieefer
Nothing wrong with it. I want a little change of pace. I don't care for the "locked and cocked" idea, but a do it. Really wanting something I cand carry "hammer down".

Dave S

That's the reason I started carrying a revolver. I wear the P238 on my ankle sometimes as a BUG.

I also have a PX4 SC that decocks which is also nice but a little fat and of course plastic. Bersa Thunder may be an option??

Nothing wrong with it. I want a little change of pace. I don't care for the "locked and cocked" idea, but a do it. Really wanting something I cand carry "hammer down".

Dave S

There is a company that makes a hammer down retro kit for 1911s where it cocks it when you disengage the safety. I know that sounds hokey, but I fired one that a family member had last month and it works just fine. Pretty neat concept for those not comfortable having their hammer back.
There is a company that makes a hammer down retro kit for 1911s where it cocks it when you disengage the safety. I know that sounds hokey, but I fired one that a family member had last month and it works just fine. Pretty neat concept for those not comfortable having their hammer back.

STI Ranger III uses this design...

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000BC9-1268761963

Bersa Thunder 45 UC Pro is a hammer-down, DA/SA auto.  First round is DA, SA after that.  Has a decocker/safety that operates like a .45 (flip down to fire) which you can leave enabled if you prefer, though the DA pull is sufficient safety in my opinion.

Only plastic is the grip panels - steel slide, alloy frame.  Size-wise, it carries about like a Glock 19.  Barrel is not quite as blocky, grip area a little larger.

May not be what you are looking for but mine has been reliable and accurate.  7+1 double-stack capacity.

• Like 1

I only said .45 as that's what I currently have. I would consider other calibers. I only mentioned plastic as I've seen a few guns lately that looked like they were made by mattel! All my other handguns are for hunting. Just looking for a new carry weapon.

Dave S

Edited by DaveS

What experiences do ya'll have with with the smaller Besras or Rugers? I have no experienes with .380 or 9mm. I'm just looking for some good info. I'm already familiar with .40 and .45. And would like sujestions. My LGSs want to sell me things I don't really want.

Dave S

What experiences do ya'll have with with the smaller Besras or Rugers? I have no experienes with .380 or 9mm. I'm just looking for some good info. I'm already familiar with .40 and .45. And would like sujestions. My LGSs want to sell me things I don't really want.

Dave S

I have a Ruger LCP .380. It's a great little gun, but It's an up close and personal type weapon. Hard to be accurate at much of a distance. Combination of small size and heavy trigger contribute.

I have neer shot the bigger LC9 but if I were you I'd look into them. Lots of people love them.

Dave S
.380 is a terrible self-defense round. No need to drop below .40S&W, most everything is available in that round. My Kahr MK40 is all stainless steel. But I probably wouldn’t have bought it had the M&P Shield been out at the time. The Shield is a sweet sub compact.

In Ruger I would look at the SR40 and SR40C.

It might help if we knew what your LGS was trying to sell you that you don’t want, and why?

I get the feeling that you like many of us older guys; have some negative feelings about Tupperware guns. I don’t buy foreign guns, so I didn’t really get into them much until S&W came out with the full size M&P40. I now have the Full-size M&P40, M&P40 Compact, M&P Shield, M&P15T and M&P15-22, the handguns are every bit as high of quality as the heavy all steel models I carried in the past. The full size M&P has become very popular as a duty weapon in law enforcement without a lot of issues. It’s also near the top of the list of guns I would pick if I could only have one. 15 rounds of 40S&W in a package that is reliable and even somewhat concealable (although not designed for that) is pretty nice.

Everything is application driven. That’s why some of us have many handguns, just depends on your application at the time.

I've carried 1911's, and M&P's of various sizes. I just recently switched to carrying a J-Frame (S&W 36). It is definitely by far my preferred method of carry when comfort and concealment (with regards to level of activity and clothing) are a priority. I do carry my full size guns when I'm able but the J-Frame fits the bill for normal every day carry.

I agree wholeheartedly with DaveTN re: the full size M&P40. If I could only have one handgun, that would be it. I have one and my wife has an M&P9c. Both are great guns. No FTF, no FTE, very accurate and the best handgun trigger I've felt.

I also have a Beretta Nano as a hip carry weapon and a S&W 642 .38 Spl. as a pocket gun. I am happy with all of them. The S&W Shield is also a great little gun. I had one in .40 but sold it because it and the Nano were too similar to warrant keeping both. The Shield is more in demand so it sold first and I kept the Nano. I agree re: buying US made guns. All of my modern guns are made in the US (including the Nano). My only foreign made gun is a 1917 Enfield rifle.

bersa makes  a decent pistol but its basically a cheapened walther or makarov.  A mak costs less, ammo is cheaper, its more accurate, and better made, making the bersa a decent but why bother sort of choice IMHO.   Ruger's small guns are copies of kel tec's pistols complete with the unpullable trigger.    Makarov is very heavy for its size --- good for recoil, bad for pulling down your pants.

Small, I like the shield a LOT.  I like my sig 938 a lot.  The nano is nice but like the others I cannot handle an 8 pound 2 inch trigger pull for every shot.  I can empty my 938 before I can fire the nano twice. 

Think about it. whats wrong with plastic on handguns? Are your rifles and shotguns all steel? No. Mostly wood, and these new plastics /polamers have proven to be tough as hell.

These little "plastic guns" looked like plastic toys, they looked cheap and felt cheap. I'm going to go back to the LGS and look at some of ya'lls sujestions. I'm writting a list of handguns to look at. I need to make it right with this purchase, as I'll probably make this one last for awhile.

Dave S