Cheaper Than Dirt. Not Selling Firearms? What?

Smiddy

Guest Lester Weevils

They sent a catalog recently and the ammo prices were shocking high for "lowest quality ammo". Though maybe its not just them, on the ammo prices.

Edited by Lester Weevils

They sent a catalog recently and the ammo prices were shocking high for "lowest quality ammo". Though maybe its not just them, on the ammo prices.

That is something else I've picked up on, your higher end ammo are back to normal of what they were a little over a year ago BUT the shooter stuff that one can bulk up on has gone up and stayed at 80-100% of what they used to be.

Lol you guys don't realize what they did?

They realized that they had yet another chance to gouge like hell and took the site down so they could adjust all their pricing and stir up more panic.  I hate hate hate cheaper than dirt...not because they try to kill people when sh*t happens (anyone forget their $70box .380 ammo?) because thats just capitalism.  What I hate is that they try to make people panic and be scared...they spread lies and mistruth to drive sales and panic buyers...that to me is whats wrong with their business model and why I will never buy from them again.

I think you're right. Why sell a gun for $500 today when you might be able to sell it for $1000 next week and it might be hard to get more stock?

Very shady.

Edit: Oh wait, Dec 2012? Never mind then.

Edited by tnguy

Was trying to purchas a handgun from cheaper than dirt a few moments ago that I looked at online last night and a message popped up on my screen.... Cheaper than dirt does not sell firearms. I called cheaper than dirt and the woman who answered says they stopped selling them an hour ago. She stated that she was not told that this was forced or given any explanation as to why they have stopped. Anyone have any answers???????

been boycotting CTD for about a year now,price gouging monsters

At the risk of alienating a lot of folks, let me pose a couple realistic scenarios.

The first hypothetical:

I'm a brand new owner of a Modern Sporting Rifle.  I haven't paid attention to our country's path until the last few weeks and now I realize that I may have to defend my family from zombies in the near future.  Well, fortunately, there are plenty of black rifles at the moment at decent prices.  I pick up a Colt 6920 for 1100 bucks.  It came with ONE thirty-round mag.  Awesome!  

But, I soon learn from reading online forums that I should have more than one magazine.  No problem.  Back online I go.  Whoa!  Brownell's has them for 12.95 apiece!  Oops... sold out.  What to do?  I look at several other websites and they're all sold out too.  Finally I stumble across some site called "Cheaper Than Dirt".  They have magazines in stock!  Wait, whaaa....  SIXTY DOLLARS APIECE!?  

Now, do I say "Eff these guys for gouging like that.  I'd rather let zombies eat my children's brains"?  Or do I say "Whew.  I'm glad they still have mags in stock.  I can spare $120 for two reloads."?

Here's another.  And it was actually a possible scenario just a few years ago right here in Knoxville.  I saw it.:

I live in Nashville.  I have to travel on business to Knoxville.  One-day trip, no big deal.  I leave Nashville with three quarters of a tank of fuel.  Since I travel so much, I have a small fuel-efficient car.  I can travel about 300 miles on a tank of gas.  So 3/4 is plenty to get me to Knox.  I'll gas up there after my meeting.  

Halfway through the meeting we take a break.  I hear on the radio that there has been an oil pipeline rupture in the Gulf of Mexico.  Uh oh.  Better refuel now.  I start driving to the nearest gas station.  Oh, there's a Food City that sells fuel!  And the price is the same as it was this morning!  Even better, there's no line of cars.  So I pull in and... WTF?  They're out of fuel?  How did that happen?  

Oh well.  I drive on down Chapman Highway to the Shell.  Oh no, there's a line of 5 cars waiting to fuel up.  And OMG, FIVE DOLLARS A GALLON?  Now, do I say...

"Eff this.  I'll stay in Knoxville until gas prices come back down"?  Or do I say "Whew!  I'll get enough fuel to get back home where I have quite a bit stored away. Just in case..."?

The second scenario could well have been reality just a few years ago.  TRUE STORY FOLLOWS...  The news reported a burst oil pipeline or something like that.  I wasn't concerned.  I keep a couple extra jugs of fuel.  Just in case.  Every gas station I passed was backed up AND had jacked up their prices.  But as I was going into Lowe's on Chapman Highway, I noticed across the parking lot that Food City still had normal prices.  Cool.  Even though I didn't need to, I decided I'd top off.  Why not?  

I came out of Lowe's and drove over to the Food City.  It was closed.  They were out of fuel.  That's why there was no line and the prices hadn't changed.

The preceding is just food for thought.  Here's my disclaimer.  I have never camped out at walmart to buy ammo to resell.  I haven't bought anything from CTD in the last few years either.  But if they happened to have a screaming deal, or something I can't find elsewhere, I probably would.  

I am a libertarian and believe that I can ask any price for anything that I own.  If it's too high, no one will buy it.  If it's too low, I won't be able to keep up with demand.  

I think that CTD's business practices are pretty stupid.  I think it will eventually put them out of business because people will quit buying.  Either the prices will drive customers away, or people will hold a grudge.

Just my thoughts...

Will

Edited by Clod Stomper

Free market will drive business one way or another.  Principals of supply and demand always apply.  People forget in time, hope the cash flow or reserve cash is enough until the forgetfullness kicks in for CTD.  And there are always the rank and file that will break rank, and flush the principal of the matter out the window because they think of themselves.

I really don't care what happens to CTD,

Started my boycott when they jacked the prices of Korean M1 carbine mags from $7 - $9 to $50 - $60.

There are too many on-line and local retailers with competitive price points for me to even consider giving a nickel to CTD.