Bears a thunder 45 min firestorm

bayouvol

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Frightful1

If you mean a BERSA Thunder 45, I have the Ultra Compact Pro version.  I have had it for nearly a year with no problems.  Accuracy is acceptable, usually a 3" group at 7 yards if I can keep my old hands from shaking and my old eyes from crossing.  Seriously though, we were able to keep the grouping to around 1.5/2" with the weapon vised and laser bore sighted on the bull at 7 yards prior to each round.  At 15 yards the group opened up to around 3-6" under the same conditions.  This was using both Remington bulk 230 grain and my reloads with 185 grain tuned ammo.  No ammo variation was noted.  We did not chrono the weapon.  The weapon is not ammo fussy in the least.  It eats anything I feed it. 

Finish on the weapon is not really ultra durable as I am seeing some bright spot holster wear in areas like the slide release and safety.  Not severe, but noticible.  I carry the weapon for a EDC winter carry so it has been carried for maybe four months now including last year.  I carry it in a Ross Leather open belt holster which feels very secure and puts the forward cant just where I need it.  I also use a Car Seat holster pro version for in car carry.  (This is available from carseatholster.com out of Detroit but call them first to see if the unit is in stock as they sell out quickly.  313 483 1350)  This is one of the better car seat holsters around.  As far as the ergonomics of the gun are concerned, it fits my hand quite well.  The grip is a touch wide and a bit short, but the pinky extention on the standard mags make it a comfortable fit for me.  Visually it is an impressive and sort evil looking beast as many of the South American weapons tend to be.  I personally like the look of the gun.

I have around 1000 rounds thru the weapon with no failures other a couple of "failure to feed" issues in the first two mags.Nothing after that.    I typically shoot my reloads with an occasional treat of Hornady Critical Defense once a year just to cycle my ammo stock.   Recoil is acceptable considering that this IS a smallish .45.  I have put as many as 200 rounds down the pipe in a single session without undue hand or wrist fatigue.  Hearing fatigue is another story if you are using reloads with the powder load up the scale a bit.  The gun is a bit noisey as you would expect for a relatively short barreled (3.6") semi auto.

You should be able to purchase one in the under $400 range.  Be aware that they are also available in 9mm, .40 as well as the .45.  They all use the same frame and all shoot as well as the .45.  I have had all three and consider the .45 as the better of the three but that is just me. 

The only con I have found with the gun is the way the grip is mounted.  It is a three sided plastic wrap from the back and as such replacement or after market grips are pretty much non-existant.  The grip surface is a bit slippery, but the grip front grooves make the gun very controlable.  I tried a grip sock from Hogue (I think) but it was so tight that it split after about a month.  I have not tried anything else.  No other issues have occured.  My only complaint about the weapon is that you cannot carry it in condition one.  When the safety is engaged the hammer drops to the "Safe" position.  I knew this going in so if it bothers me it is my own damn fault.  Actually it doesn't bother me, I just would rather carry condition one.

All in all I am very satisified with the gun.  Over all it is a good value for the price.  I am comparing the "Likeablity Quotient"  of this weapon to others such the S/A EMP .40, Taurus Pt92 and several Sigs and Rugers I have owned.  I don't think you will be dissapointed.

Edited by Frightful1

The Thunder 45 UCP is also my EDC winter carry weapon. Despite its relative thickness, it's surprisingly easy to conceal when compared to many other 45's due to it's compact height & length. I have more expensive guns, but the Bersa is one of my favorites. It's balanced quite well, dependably accurate, and fairly lightweight for a 45.

I do have to agree about the lack of "condition one" (cocked & locked) on it though. The safety lever doubles in function as a decocker, so condition one is out of the question... even so, it IS SA/DA, so with one in the chamber you're still just a trigger squeeze away from action.