AR cycling issues

wvglockguy

Went to the range today and my AR would not cycle after the first 8-10 rounds I shot. Tried a couple different mags and brands of ammo still would not eject spent round. The last time I had it out I ran a couple hundred rounds thru it, and cleaned it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Need more information.

Ammo? If it is Tula or Wolf that is known to cause issues.
Gun type? Factory or home built?
Barrel length? Gas system length?

Ultimately it is a gas issue. I would check the gas key to make sure it is not loose. Make sure your gun is properly lubed.

Yeah sort of need the basics, sounds like it started all at once, so something changed.

1. You don't say, but is the round being extracted from the chamber at all, or getting stovepipe jam after extraction, does bolt carrier not move backward enough to get next round to even cause a jam,  or what?

2. Are the extractor and ejector indeed still intact in the bolt?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Ammo was Tula for me and another guy had something I think it was American Eagle.

It is home built, not me, bought from a guy on here.

I believe it's a 16 in barrel.

The round is not being extracted at all the carrier moves back just a very short distance but not enough to jam it.

I have it apart now and everything looks normal, nothing missing, installed wrong, broken, etc.

....The round is not being extracted at all the carrier moves back just a very short distance but not enough to jam it.

Still confusing.

Are you saying that

(1) spent casing stays flush in the chamber or

(2) the carrier pulls it out part way, with extractor still grabbing the round?

If (2) and

- you can not extract it fairly easily by pulling charging handle, sounds like some sudden gnarly buildup in chamber seizing expanded casing

- you can extract it fairly easily by pulling charging handle, sound like gas prob as Dolo suggested. If so,  is gas key on top of carrier still firmly socked down? Is gas tube still straight and seems to go into the key? You didn't stick anything up in gas tube during last cleaning, didja?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

It is a gas issue, either the ammo doesn't have enough gas or there is not enough gas making it to the carrier.

Have you checked the gas block for alignment as well as tightness? Does it have an adjustable gas block?

If you were ONLY using Tula then you need to do one of two things. Either quit using it or drill the gas port out another size. If it was having the same issue with AMerican Eagle then it is a gas issue. The port is not aligned or the gas block has moved forward slightly or the gas block was installed without the required spacing for the handguard end cap (a very common mistake).

Dolomite

Still confusing.

Are you saying that

(2) the carrier pulls it out part way, with extractor still grabbing the round?

If (2)

- you can extract it fairly easily by pulling charging handle, sound like gas prob as Dolo suggested. If so, is gas key on top of carrier still firmly socked down? Is gas tube still straight and seems to go into the key? You didn't stick anything up in gas tube during last cleaning, didja?

- OS

I'll have to recheck the gas tube and make sure it's aligned, the key is still firmly attached.

Well it pulls the spent round out fine also

Just about gotta be gassing prob then.

Were you able to shoot same ammo before, or did you only shoot 5.56 or a different brass .223 ammo than the 'Mericun Eagle?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I've been using Tulammo... Used it the last time it was working and that's what I was using today. A friend had the AE.

The only thing I haven't been able to clean yet is the entire gas tube. Watched a video by Hickok45 about cleaning the AR and he said to use a long pipe cleaner for it.

I've been using Tulammo... Used it the last time it was working and that's what I was using today. A friend had the AE.

The only thing I haven't been able to clean yet is the entire gas tube. Watched a video by Hickok45 about cleaning the AR and he said to use a long pipe cleaner for it.

Well, if it shot it before, sounds like the round itself may not be it. Most recommend never messing with cleaning the tube, though.

What kind of gas block, conventional A2 tall pinned on type or  low sight base type maybe held on with bolts/screws? As Dolo suggested, may have shifted.

- OS

Home builds.... :ugh:

Dude, like Dolomite is saying, this is a gas issue.  You are not getting enough gas cycled through for proper function.  Thats why you can see the carrier partially cycling...its just not getting enough.  Since you said your gas key is not loose from the carrier, it has to be the gas block.  Either it was never correctly lined up, it has shifted, or the gas tube is shifting.

Do not clean the gas tube.  You don't have a pipe cleaner long enough anyways.  All you do is introduce fouling/lint/crap into the tube....same reason you don't qtip the gas keys unless you're paying attention.

I would hesitate to drill out the gas port before you pulled the block and measured it.  Chances are, its already on the high side.  That is always a last resort or what some people do for cut down barrels.  Can you take detailed pictures? 

Double check the gas block alignment. Clean the chamber, especially if doing a few mag dumps the last time out. Gas blocks can come loose and move without being noticeable.

Although rare I have seen a number of undersized gas ports. Before drilling the gas port out double check everything else.

Take a wire gauge drill bit and leg is know the port size.

Dolomite
Just checked the gas block and discovered it is a little loose. Hopefully this will solve my problem.

I certainly appreciate the help from you guys! I'm pretty new to ar's so I need all the help I can get. I'll be sure to post a follow up as soon as I get to the range and test it out again.
  • Like 1