Low Budget AR Trigger

rab

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am late to the party but i will too cast my vote for the ssa-e. i have one in my lower that i use with a 45acp upper and a 223 bullbarrel upper. best trigger i have used on any gun. i started with a rra 2 stage but this beats it by a mile-bill

best trigger pull depends on what you are looking for.  If its weight, pre-travel, and grittiness then get a Geissele single stage trigger such as the super 3 gun (finding one in stock is hard plus its around $240).  If you want a two stage trigger get the Geissele SSA-E ($215).  Other ideas are Jewell two stage triggers ($214) that you can adjust from 1lb to 7lbs.  Most people will tell you to stay at 4lbs or higher.  LEO/Military use stock weights 5.5-7lbs.

If you just want to get rid of the pre-travel and grittiness while keeping a "personal defense" weight (6+ lbs) then look into the ALG Combat Trigger ($65).  I you don't have a lot of cash you can get this trigger along with some "competition springs" for it to be lighter as well.  Most people have been happy with this setup versus the expensive cost of a S3G (super 3 gun) or SSA-E (Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced) triggers, but others have said you can do the same thing to your current trigger if you know what you are doing (polishing job).

Also, before you start spending cash find a gunsmith to do a trigger job on your current trigger.  Don't try it yourself, and don't let your buddy watch youtube videos and try it with his dremel.  The last thing you need is for your gun to go full-auto at the gun range.

Edited by alwaysonjohn
Every single trigger I personally do has a trigger pull under 4 pounds and most under 3.5 pounds. But most importantly they are reliable. They have ZERO pre travel. Getting the factory trigger to these levels is not difficult but on the same note there is no video out there that replaces experience. There is no place for a Dremel when working on any trigger. It takes less then 2 minutes to do what needs to be done by hand. Using a Dremel, or any other tool, will only lead to a unsafe gun.

I personally like the feel of a zero take up trigger on any gun over a two stage. I have owned two stage triggers and prefer the worked over milspec trigger to any of them. We don't use two stage triggers on our bolt guns so why would we want to on any other rifle.

And it is possible to go even lighter. One of my AR's has a 100% reliable 2.5 pound trigger. But that one is on the ragged edge of reliable.

Dolomite