Primer crimps??

I have started processing a lot of .223 brass that I've collected over the years to reload and thought that these had primer crimps but primers went in without much force at all. Only one headstamped case didn't go in(the one in the middle on the far right). What's up with these cases??

photobucket-24716-1355362395590.jpg

photobucket-22221-1355362366749.jpg

Called MIL crimp, you can get a tool that will fit you press to remove the crimp, ya do this after you size and deprime.

Do a google search for "RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo"

I know what they are but aren't these cartridges supposed to have them and not be able to take a primer til the crimp is removed? I'm asking why these cases are taking a primer without me doing anything to them besides tumbling, resizing,and decrimping

The crimp helps seal and keeps the primer in place. You will get the old primer out easy, putting a new one in

is gone be hit and miss. In fact I would bet you will mess a few primers up trying to get them in.

I reload MIL surplus 7.62 x 51 and decrimp with the tool, makes it easer to reprime, way easer.

I got some brass that the primers just wouldn't go in.  I was always afraid it I was putting too much pressure.  I looked closely and there was a little ledge or 'lip' in the primer pocket.  I just used my chamfer/deburring tool and used it on the primer pocket.  A few turns and it cleaned it up nicely. 

It was still tight but it went in much more easily.  I'm reloading that batch now the 2nd time and it's just like the other brass; just the right amount of pressure needed.  perfect.

I would say that I am able to easily seat a primer in crimped brass (9 and 223) about 9/10 times.   Of the 1/10 that do not seat easily,  another 1/2 of those seat with a little effort (I have found that slowly rotating the case in the holder then try to push in, rotate a little more, try again... eventually gets it without excessive force).   Only a very small number just will not seat and those I simply throw away (well, recycle bin) --- the 2 calibers are common enough that I am not going to fight it with another tool. 

I would say that I am able to easily seat a primer in crimped brass (9 and 223) about 9/10 times.   Of the 1/10 that do not seat easily,  another 1/2 of those seat with a little effort (I have found that slowly rotating the case in the holder then try to push in, rotate a little more, try again... eventually gets it without excessive force).   Only a very small number just will not seat and those I simply throw away (well, recycle bin) --- the 2 calibers are common enough that I am not going to fight it with another tool. 

I'll happily swage any .223 brass you'd rather toss. Also 30-06, possibly more happily.

The crimp helps seal and keeps the primer in place. You will get the old primer out easy, putting a new one in

is gone be hit and miss. In fact I would bet you will mess a few primers up trying to get them in.

I reload MIL surplus 7.62 x 51 and decrimp with the tool, makes it easer to reprime, way easer.

Same here. I bought Lyman's kit that comes with the chamfer/debur, primer pocket uniformers, crimp removers, etc.

I'll happily swage any .223 brass you'd rather toss. Also 30-06, possibly more happily.

Sure.  PM me an address and I will see what I have.  I dont have any 30-06, what few I get are cut up for 765. 

Edited by Jonnin

I have tried the RCBS swager, the Lee and Lyman reamers and they are all slow and tedious to use.  I finally bought one of the Dillon Super Swagers and it works great!,  Simple and fast to use and does not cause blisters of sore fingers.  Its price is a little higher than the rest but well worth it.  I am just a little miffed I did not buy one years ago!

• Like 1