New AR15 Owner, need help with scope question

Newman

Wife purchased me a DPMS Sportical AR15 yesterday and of course it is bare bones, so I want to install a scope on it. Well there in lies the problem, she also purchased a Tasco 4x scope but we both found out it will not fit on the AR15 on the flat rail. I do not know if any scope for that matter will fit on it alone without some type of mounting bracket or riser bracket or...????

Help me please. I am looking for (of course) an inexpensive but desent scope 2-8x or 4-9x that will mount to the DPMS Sportical for $150 or under.

What all do I need and is this possible?

Thank you in advance for all the help you guys have provided me,

Newman Edited by Newman

Not trying to be condescending, but scopes have rings to mount to rails. Did it come with rings?

Your rifle has built-in rail along the top of receiver?

If so, the rings don't fit the rail? Are they too narrow?

If so, then scope is likely designed for rimfire rifles and came with the 3/8" rails that fit dovetail grooved rifle receivers and rails.

If that's not it, please elaborate.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

We have already returned the scope, but I do believe it was originally made for a 22 rifle. Its "clamps" were too narrow to fit on the AR15 rail. Yes, the DPMS has flat rail on top.

1. it had the 3/8" rings. Will not fit on the wider weaver/picatinny rails like your AR has

2. you could have replaced the rings on it, but a scope designed for .22LR rifle won't likely hold up on a more powerful rifle

3.  once you get past .22LR scopes, most don't come with rings at all. Scopes are generally of two diameters for the ring, 1" and 30mm, 1" being the more common. The part that grabs the rail is referred to as weaver or picatinny.

4. most folks want conventional front and rear sights on their AR as backup even if they are running an optical sight of some type. Your Sportical has a railed gas block for sight base so you'd need both front and rear ones. Usually folks use flip up types, would allow a conventional scope to be mounted with high rise rings to clear the rear sight in down position to keep from taking it on and off.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
You should be able to find scope rings in just about any size for your flat top.

On a side note, I saw one of these in Walmart the other day for $597 and was going to suggest it to a friend as an entry AR since the M&P Sports are hard to come by. How do you like it? Does it come with iron sights?
I read a ton of reviews on the DPMS Panther Sportical after we saw it at Walmart for $597. 99% of the reviews were GREAT! "eats any and all ammo." No sights at all. Bare Bare Bare. Thought it would be a great starter AR for me. Have not shot it yet. Just purchased it last night.

Also, comes with 2 30rd mags Edited by Newman
OS - so I should be able to find a scope not made for rimfire rifles that will have the appropriate mounting equipment or will I still have to purchase specific additional mounting equipment? Also, if I get iron sites, do I need to get a "riser" mount or just take the scope off when using the iron sites?

OS - so I should be able to find a scope not made for rimfire rifles that will have the appropriate mounting equipment or will I still have to purchase specific additional mounting equipment? Also, if I get iron sites, do I need to get a "riser" mount or just take the scope off when using the iron sites?

All kinds of ways to go. I think my best advice would be to get flip up sights for the thing first, then consider options for additional optic. Back up iron sights (BUIS) are always there, always work, stay zeroed in,  and are fine for reasonable accuracy.

I sort of split the diff with my M&P Sport. The rear sight is the Magpul polymer flip up, comes standard on the Sport, a good choice for any rifle though, about $45-50. Can't use polymer front sight on your Sportical though, need metal, the gas block sight base gets HOT. Also note that I think your gas block front sight base is lower than the receiver rail? If so you will need a the higher front sight type than ones made for a railed forearm. If I'm wrong and it's the same height as the receiver rail, you need a low profile type (front sights are adjustable for elevation, but only so far).

scopemount.jpg

sport.jpg

Contrary to the price expectations of what most will recommend here, the rings were $20 and so was the Barska 3-9x40 scope :). It's held up so far just fine. The high rise quick release rings just barely clear the rear sight when folded down, comes on and off quickly and stays pretty well zeroed when re-attached.

I'm doing the same for a second flat top rifle I assembled. It has conventional detachable A2 carry handle rear sight, but can switch to scope back and forth pert quick.

I didn't care to go any higher end (might change my mind when/if scope craps out). The iron sights alone are fine long term for TEOTWAWKI. :)

Seems more folks run a red dot type optic than conventional scope anymore of course, just do image search for AR-15 and the like and you'll see all kinds of arrangements. But since most of those are unmagnified, and you start getting into real money to get a good one, and magnify it also, it's hard to beat a conventional scope if you're really shooting for precision as opposed to moment of torso at distance.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I see it's a Barska. OS

Which isn't a bad brand by any mean, just made in china as most of the major cheap scope manufacturers are made.

I went with a Barska halo sight before i got my new scope back in October. Had to get a riser ( detachable riser so ican take it off easy and still use my halo or my iron sights.

Ebay is a good place to find risers. Think i paid maybe $30 at the most. Shipping and all.