KAHR CW45 Comments/Input ?

lshel

I picked up a CW45 in a trade. I like the feel of the gun and trigger pull. I haven't shot it yet, due to rain. It has the staked on front polymer sight, which if I keep I would like to replace with a ns. I've checked on internet, but can'nt find a ns for this model. Also extra mags are priced high thru Kahr. It's size/weight would make a good 45 ACP conceal carry. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for the CW45?
thanks
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I owned one back early this year. I have for a long time been searching for the perfect 45acp and the kahr was close. Mine didn't like my reloads no matter what I did. Its also very common to them to not like Hornady ammo do to the tight chamber. Commander size 1911 magazines will work but it's not worth the trouble of modifying and testing them in my opinion. I kind of wished I would have kept it now. Just about every Glock holster I had worked perfectly with the Kahr.
[quote name='leftyk82' timestamp='1355183707' post='858137']
My pastor bought one. Aside from the slide bite (his fault), the slide stop kept working its way loose after a few rounds.

He traded it for a Glock 36
[/quote]
That is a commonly reported trouble but for less than $374 new out the door I wanted to give it a try. I'll tell you they have some rough edges and can blister the trigger finger.

I shot an assortment of about 30rds thur it. Both the 185g and 230g FMJ were accurate and feed good. I tried some 185 g hp reloads and the first two mags I had to assist the slide going fully forward. Grouping was about 2". The third mag feed without any assist to back of slide. These 185g HP reloads were longer than the FMJ. I did not have any 200g hp to try. I'll check the 185g HP to see their OAL.  I need to put a couple of hundred rounds thru it before I decide to carry it. Any thoughts on the slide assist problem, or is this part of break-in?

It's the classic tight chamber I experienced. It seams to appear with Speer/Gold Dots sometimes as well as Hornady. Someone told me to take the davspping pun ou of the resizing die and resize the entire finished round but I still couldn't get the bottom of the case small enough where it meets the rim. I never tried a 4pc kit with the above mentioned die.

I cleaned and oiled gun and put 55 more rds of 185g fmj and 185g Nosler hp reloads(all bullets are taper crimped). The hp did not require any slide assist as before. I did have one stovepipe on the shorter FMJ. Gun groups 2" or less with both loads. Kahr recommends 200 rds be fired prior to carry, is this a little excess if gun is feeding properly with regular HP load? 

Edited by lshel