300 Blackout guys...I heard a rumor

I read this morning that a Russian company has geared up to produce 300 Blackout now. It is begining its first production run as we speak. Prices haven't been set yet but I cannot see it being more than 7.62x39. It will be a supersonic loading that will likely use the same 123 grain bullet that the 7.62x39 currently uses.

Dolomite
Considering most commercial 7.62x39 that comes into the country is already using .308" bullets I would guess .308". I have measured a metric ton of 7.62x39 from bothe Tula and Wolf and every bullet measured .308". And people wonder why AK's are innaccurate over here. I have seen how accurate REAL AK's shooting REAL ammo can be.

Also, shooting a .311" bullet down a .308" bore will not hurt a thing. I have done it a lot and as long as you follow proper reloading procedures firing a .311" bulelt in a .308" bore will not hurt a thing. It will not wear the bore out.

The reason why they never got into the 6.8 is probably because of the Spec I vs the Spec II confusion. To much liability if someone decides to shoot Spec II ammo in a Spec I gun. I know it is not likely to cause a kaboom but why intentionally risk it. It intrigued me until I realized there are two different specs for the same caliber.

Dolomite
[quote name='Caster' timestamp='1355162991' post='857898']
I'll pass on the steel, but it would certainly be good news. ANy support is a good thing. Maybe Wolf will ad it to their Gold line and produce brass cased stuff too.

WHile it certainly doesn't help all of us, it's still great news.
[/quote]

It will benefit everybody. Whether you buy it or not others will and that will mean less demand on the stuff you want that they were buying before. Win win.
[quote name='AK Guy' timestamp='1355163876' post='857911']
It will benefit everybody. Whether you buy it or not others will and that will mean less demand on the stuff you want that they were buying before. Win win.
[/quote]

RIght, and to go further, the more people on board, the more the components I use, will stay in high production and prices will come down. As you say, WIN!

[quote name='Trekbike' timestamp='1355164432' post='857921']
The Blackout name is tacticool, Whisper is what you do in a library. :)
[/quote]

Has more to do with the Saami spec and the Freedom Group's money. Just interesting that they could take a wildcat and turn it into a legitimate caliber so quickly. I wish they would do the same with .458 SOCOM. Cool name too... still a wildcat.

• Admin Team
[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1355166108' post='857939']
Has more to do with the Saami spec and the Freedom Group's money. Just interesting that they could take a wildcat and turn it into a legitimate caliber so quickly. I wish they would do the same with .458 SOCOM. Cool name too... still a wildcat.
[/quote]
Agreed...
If it has just been announced, I'll wager it will take a long time to ever see steel cased .300 BLK on shelves.

Steel case 6.5 Grendel has supposedly been in the works for several years now. It STILL hasn't shown up. I believe it is getting closer, though. I believe I read an article earlier this year that Bill Alexander has received several thousand rounds for testing. I hope, I hope....

Steel core, too, according to Alexander. http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?1181-Wolf-Steel-Case/page32
THis cartridge is what Eugene Stoner SHOULD have chambered his rifle in to begin with.

Can't say the idea wasn't around that far back either, JD Jones claims the whisper as his invention but PO Ackley was necking down 357 magnum to 30 caliber long before. A 357 mag necked down to 30 caliber is a .300BLK-R

[quote name='Caster' timestamp='1355172566' post='858009']
THis cartridge is what Eugene Stoner SHOULD have chambered his rifle in to begin with.

Can't say the idea wasn't around that far back either, JD Jones claims the whisper as his invention but PO Ackley was necking down 357 magnum to 30 caliber long before. A 357 mag necked down to 30 caliber is a .300BLK-R
[/quote]

Well... he chambered it in 308 to begin with. It was the military that didn't wanna push all that lead thru the supply chain :)

[quote name='Dolomite_supafly' timestamp='1355168515' post='857962']
Steel casings for the 300 has already been made. Not planning to be made but have been made. They are ramping up the loading as we speak. I give it two months and we will see it.

This is coming from someone who probably knows more about the Blackout than anybody, not me but another know it all. :)

Dolomite
[/quote]

Mr Silvers, perhaps? That's awesome. I WILL be building a .300 BLK (along with a 7.62x40 WT) in the near future. I had already been contemplating how I could convert steel-case 5.56 without hurting myself, so I could have disposable cases. This will save me the trouble and potentially damaged digits.

Will

[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1355192691' post='858217']

It's not all done yet. I'm still sorting thru the 2000 cases I got from David. I'm down to 600-700 left to sort. I'm into a massive 3500 round reloading project, mostly 5.56.[/quote]

I should have bought a 1000 cases a month ago when he had them in Knoxville and didn't. Didn't have my gun built, now i do and no brass. Haven't made either of the last two shows to see if he has had any more. Just delaying the chop process on the 2000 5,56 cases I have.

[quote name='Lumber_Jack' timestamp='1355192921' post='858218']
I should have bought a 1000 cases a month ago when he had them in Knoxville and didn't. Didn't have my gun built, now i do and no brass. Haven't made either of the last two shows to see if he has had any more. Just delaying the chop process on the 2000 5,56 cases I have.
[/quote]

I made all of mine except for the 200 rounds of factory ammo. The chop saw is real fast once you make a jig. You need a 3 way power trimmer. Ask Tender Knuckles (Caster) about that :). I have an RCBS power trimmer with a 3 way head. Caster is using one that fits on a drill. I'm going to modify my chop saw jig so it cuts closer to the final trim length.

Get you a lock stud from Lee that holds 223 cases. Stick it in the end of a driver bit handle [little super glue is good here!]
Buy you a Little Crow WFT and get diggin'. Traditional trimmers suck. I learned the hard way but I was determined to find an easy process for making 300 brass if it killed every cannibal in the Kongo. THe way I do it has more steps in it than others but my finished brass is ready for [i]CAST[/i] bullets and doesn't disturb the primer, as most of what I have made has been from primed LC brass I get from David.