Need advice on selling handgun

Guest ebidr

I am struggling with this and not sure what to do.

I want to sell my handgun. However, I am afraid that, say, if that person sells to another person and so on, and what if the gun is eventually involved in a crime, will law enforcement come looking for me?

I am aware of possibly have a FFL dealer do the transfer for me, but I still have to carry around that receipt for the rest of my life?

Peace of mind-that's all I want.

Any advice? Please help
If you're that worried go through an FFL. Just be advised that some purchasers don't want to do that. Otherwise, if you do a bill of sale you would need to hang on to it forever if you want that peace of mind. If someone had an problem filling out a bill of sale, there would be no way I would sell to them.
Even going through a FFL, I still have to carry around the receipt for the rest of my life, wouldn't I? Grrr. I feel like I am the only one in the world that worries about stuff like this-lol
One of the only cases I know of where the police or BATF came inquiring about a handgun,they were pleased just to get copies of emails which had the phone number of the buyer. It's not really a big deal as long as you don't knowingly sell it to a felon and you are both residents of the same state.
If you go through a FFL they are required to keep the record for forever. If they close the BATF takes possession of the records.
[quote name='broox' timestamp='1354900674' post='856516']
Simple, just never sell a gun, just keep buying them
[/quote]

FTW!

But yes, relax. TN law only requires that you do due diligence to verify that the buyer may possess a handgun... you check their ID to verify they are a TN resident at least 21 years old. You ask if they've ever committed a felony. No written records are required.

If the authorities ask you about it some time later, you say "I sold it." "To whom?" "I don't remember." The end. Edited by peejman
[quote name='peejman' timestamp='1354902086' post='856527']

If the authorities ask you about it some time later, you say "I sold it." "To whom?" "I don't remember." The end.
[/quote]

^^^ This. If you can help the LEO in any way, that is great. Maybe you remember when you sold it, what the buyer looked like, and so on. Maybe you sold it to your brother in law for example, and can give a name and address and all. But that is extra, something good you can do if circumstances allow it. If you cannot remember anything about a gun you sold 25 years ago, say so and that is the end of it.
[quote name='peejman' timestamp='1354902086' post='856527']

TN resident at least 21 years old. ,
[/quote]
As strange as it is they only have to be over the age of 18. I have known a few police officers and sheriff deputies under 21 that have had others buy their ammo though. Edited by Patton
  • Like 1
[quote name='Patton' timestamp='1354910188' post='856598']
As strange as it is they only have to be over the age of 18. I have known a few police officers and sheriff deputies under 21 that have had others buy their ammo though.
[/quote]

Correct. 21 to buy one from an FFL, 18 to own one. TN laws are so stupid...
[quote name='peejman' timestamp='1354912510' post='856611']
Correct. 21 to buy one from an FFL, 18 to own one. [b]TN laws are so stupid...[/b]
[/quote]

You can own handgun at any age in TN. 18 year old can buy one in private sale. Can't sell to minor, but can give or loan long gun or handgun to a minor.

You prefer that TN made these laws to conform with the federal one?

- OS Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Moderators
[quote name='peejman' timestamp='1354912510' post='856611']

Correct. 21 to buy one from an FFL, 18 to own one. TN laws are so stupid...[/quote]
That's not TN law. It is federal law. TN law allows those 18-20 to purchase privately. Federal law prevents them from purchasing a handgun from a FFL.
I actually had this happen. I sold a gun to someone. I then bought it back and had it for a few months an sold it again.(made a profit each time). The guy I sold it to sold it to someone else (still with me??) This guy used the gun in a home invasion! The guy who sold it to him told me about it, but i never got asked any questions. I was legit in selling it all times so I had no worries, but it still was on my mind that I had caused the crime. Then I started thinking that this dude probably would have bought another gun if he had not bought the one I had.
Point of my 8 degrees of UncleJak's gun story: just sell the gun.
I wouldn't give it a second thought. Get a bill of sale and hang on to it. I keep all of mine in a large cigar box. It's at the point where it's starting to over flow so I'll start another box soon and throw the full one in the closet and move on.
[quote name='Chucktshoes' timestamp='1354912765' post='856613']
That's not TN law. It is federal law. TN law allows those 18-20 to purchase privately. Federal law prevents them from purchasing a handgun from a FFL.
[/quote]

My mistake. It's silly that there's two different ages. You can join the Marines at 18 but can't buy beer or a handgun from a dealer? That's just dumb.
  • Moderators
[quote name='peejman' timestamp='1354993615' post='856925']

My mistake. It's silly that there's two different ages. You can join the Marines at 18 but can't buy beer or a handgun from a dealer? That's just dumb.[/quote]
Agreed.

Bill of sale with copy of photo (state issued) ID. That's what I do. If they connot do this they can buy somewhere else.

As a general rule of principle I won't do a BOS. It is always a good idea to let people know up front that is your requirement. Many don't enjoy that sprung on them after the fact.
ooh, and NO private individual is getting a copy of my DL.
You want to act like a business and keep personal info, get an ffl and comply correctly with the BATF's rules. I'm more concerned about privacy issues.

IMO, I can't see how a BOS does anything more for you legally than a verbal declaration. Edited by Smith
  • Like 2
[quote name='peejman' timestamp='1354993615' post='856925']

My mistake. It's silly that there's two different ages. You can join the Marines at 18 but can't buy beer or a handgun from a dealer? That's just dumb.
[/quote]You can join any branch of the military at 17. But you still can’t drink, buy a handgun, get an HCP, rent a car, get reasonably priced insurance on a vette…………..
[quote name='Hershmeister' timestamp='1355018353' post='857052']
It gives you ironclad guarantee that you met the legal requirements and can assist the popo if needed.
[/quote]

What legal requirements are those? All that's required is that you don't have reason to believe that the buyer can't legally own it, don't suspect a straw purchase, and they're a TN resident.

I wouldn't use "ironcald" to describe a BOS, or anything else printed off the Internet. If you want "ironclad" do it via FFL. Nothing short of that comes close. Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 3