Seeking help identifying different muzzle devices

GS455

For some this will be a question showing my complete ignorance on this topic. Also, not sure where exactly to post this.

I have never completely understood the function of different muzzle devices. I'm not talking about silencers or noise suppressors. Rather things called flash hiders, compensators and brakes, etc. What are the definitions of each and what else is out there? I've come across websites selling things guaranteed to keep your muzzle down but may make it louder and may or may not affect flash. Some are open ended twisting "vortex" style. Some are sharp and jagged as though the muzzle could be a weapon. Some of the boutique aftermarket stuff can be quite pricey.

I have a couple ARs with the "birdcage", One FAL with a long 5 slotted hider, one in a shorter cylindrical form having a few rows of angled holes, an M1A and M76 with the long slotted style, an AK47 with a fat cylinder and one large hole side to side. I'll be putting together a Draco SBR and will need to choose a muzzle device.

Can anyone direct me to a decent explanation of thevariousmuzzle devicesand their effectiveness at what they claim to do?
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In general muzzle breaks reduce recoil and muzzle climb, but increase volume (especially muzzle blast)

Flash hiders do exactly that. Hide flash. Mainly from the shooter (allowing the shooter's night vision to remain intact especially)

You can often tell which is which just by looking at them, Muzzle brakes are always tight fitting to the projectile with ports to help vent gasses.

Flash hiders are normally simple cages around the end of the rifle.

[quote name='AK Guy' timestamp='1354860148' post='856314']
Aesthetics :D they all claim to do different things.[b] AR's don't need brakes [/b]and some reduce flash and can be useful, but mainly people pay $50 to $100+ because it looks cool.
[/quote]

Not sure I agree with you there Smiffy. They don't need them for recoil reduction, but they can sure help hold the gun still for followup shots. I have two carbines that are virtually identical, except one has an A2 flash hider, and one has BattleComp. Real significant difference on followup shots.

I also have a brake on my .458. It simply reduces bruising :)

Edited by mikegideon

[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1354860984' post='856320']

Not sure I agree with you there Smiffy. They don't need them for recoil reduction, but they can sure help hold the gun still for followup shots. I have two carbines that are virtually identical, except one has an A2 flash hider, and one has BattleComp. Real significant difference on followup shots.
[/quote]

Hey Mike. It's Kmad. I have a Rock River LAR-8 on order. Thinking of that Battle Comp 2 for .308. Worried it'll blast people next to me. What has your experience been. The video looks impressive. Also thought about it for the Draco SBR I'm building. Really pricey stuff.

[quote name='GS455' timestamp='1354864184' post='856325']
Hey Mike. It's Kmad. I have a Rock River LAR-8 on order. Thinking of that Battle Comp 2 for .308. Worried it'll blast people next to me. What has your experience been. The video looks impressive. Also thought about it for the Draco SBR I'm building. Really pricey stuff.
[/quote]

We need to hook up anyway. I have 3 AR's with brakes... a 5.56, a 300 blackout, and a .458 SOCOM. I'll give you a call this weekend.

You're gonna like the RRA. They built my .458 upper.
11,000 posts since I got you into this? Whoa man. You are hard core.

Just had surgery on my left thumb yesterday. Gonna be a while before I'm shooting again. That's why I'm spending a little time thinking about these two projects. LAR-8 and Draco SBR.

I know the Draco is no precision machine but that's not goal. I'll put an Ace side folder on it and a peep sight on the rear trunion. The goal is a small, mid range, discrete, fast access, high power rifle, with irons-only capable of quick target reacquisition on second and following shots. Could be fun for IDPA / three gun stuff. I found 20 round AK mags for it and I wanna retro them to take the Yugo BHO followers. Edited by GS455
Check out this video comparison of muzzle devices I found in my late night web surfing. This is fantastic info and education for me. Battle Comp did very well. Looks like Knights Armament's Tripple Tap was the best but its $400+ and only available in .556

http://videobam.com/ChaxN
Edited by GS455
On my .308 I went with a Kies Master Blaster linear comp. I got it from Joe Bob's for a fraction of most. This was also due to the
noise at the range for the people on both sides of me. it has been effective. I went and put one on my 5.56 also. They are new and not well known.

[url="http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KIES_Blast_Master_Linear_Compensator_p/kies-blst%20mstr22.htm"]http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KIES_Blast_Master_Linear_Compensator_p/kies-blst%20mstr22.htm[/url]

[quote name='GS455' timestamp='1354865540' post='856328']
11,000 posts since I got you into this?
[/quote]

Got me into this? :rofl: Lots of .308 shooters on here. Ton of choices out there. This is kinda cool. Dolomite turned me onto it. It's so new, I doubt that they're doing 30 cal yet...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ssNPeXUXKI&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ssNPeXUXKI&feature=player_embedded[/url]

[quote name='mikegideon' timestamp='1354860984' post='856320']

[/quote]

Haha, on a semi? Either way, I was being tongue in cheek. I still think one of the best out there is the YHM 5c2. Can't beat it for the money. I did use DPMS Levang Comps on my MSARs due to the noise. Worked really well. It did make the rcoil pusle a little different. More straight line, basically the same thing as the Kies, and "Flaming Pig"

As to the SBR Draco, here is what I am using and it does a good job. Very loud, but that is part of it's appeal. I was also looking for something that was as short as possible as to not negate the whole SBR thing. :up: [url="http://www.ratworxusa.com/pagDetail.aspx?SKU=MA-1214-Night-Brake"]http://www.ratworxus...214-Night-Brake[/url]

[img]http://www.manticorearms.com/images/nightbrake1214.jpg[/img]

Edited by AK Guy
I have a Ben Cooley on my Blackout, which is pretty similar to the 7.62 x 39. I have no idea how much it helps, since it was part of the original build.

I plan to build a heavy long range bolt gun as my next project, probably in 30-06. I'm going to want max recoil mitigation on that one (for long shooting sessions), and weight won't be a factor. I've been looking at this line...

[url="http://www.apsrifles.com/Painkiller_Muzzle_Brakes_QY.html"]http://www.apsrifles.com/Painkiller_Muzzle_Brakes_QY.html[/url]

I want to be able to shoot with my buddies that use 6BR's and 6 Dashers without getting a sore shoulder. It won't be a rifle that's suited to a stroll in the woods, or off hand shooting.
Muzzle Brake - A device designed to redirect the muzzle blast to reduce recoil or muzzle jump. Typically, this is at the cost of increased noise and sometimes increased flash. The AK-74 is a modern example.

Flash-hider - A device designed to cause rapid cooling of the gases expelled from the muzzle in order to reduce the amount of flash. Originally, there were two types, the flash suppressor and the flash hider. The suppressor is what we know today. The old flash hider was conical or can-shaped to cause the flash to not be visible except from directly in front of the weapon. Today, the term flash-hider refers to either device. Modern examples include M-14, L1A1, M-60, and the FPK/PSL Dragunov look-alikes.

Combo device - A muzzle device performing more than a single function. Typically a flash suppressor that also allows launching rifle grenades. Usually, they also allow attachment of a blank-firing device. The M-16/M-4 muzzle device is a good example. Most modern military rifles use this in some pattern.
GS455, there are a couple of you tube videos by Hickok45 that drove home to me the effectiveness of a muzzle brake on the more powerful cartridges. On one video he is shooting the full size M1A from a standing position. On another video he is firing the 16" M1A Socom while standing. The quick recovery for the next shot on the short Socom appears day and night compared to the jumping of the full size M1A. Both are in .308 caliber. The trade off is much louder muzzle blast from the Socom due to both barrel length and muzzle brake factors.

Just google Hickok45 for both videos. Edited by Djay3

Yall,s OLs said they like it :wave:
[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1354925147' post='856662']
That's a compensator, right? :lol:
[/quote]
[quote name='AK Guy' timestamp='1354926977' post='856675']
I believe the word is compensating. :ugh:
[/quote]

[quote name='Djay3' timestamp='1354896594' post='856465']
Just google Hickok45 for both videos.
[/quote]

Djay, Well I Googled and searched through YouTube and he seems to have a million videos. I don't suppose you can put your hands on the links you're talking about?