What changes would you like to see for 2013/14?

Saw this on another forum & thought it was a very interesting topic.

I'd really like to see hogs put back on the menu, but with one caveat: You'd need a special/extra license to hunt them on TWRA property. It may put off the 'transport to hunt' mob, whilst still allowing those of us with the itch to be allowed to go kill a few on public land.
Also an extra period of bow only, between Muzzleloader & gun season, extending the overall season to the last Sunday in January & drop/modify the doe restrictions in unit A.
Like Rob said on the hogs.

Plus...
1. Stop catering to the duck hunters and stop closing other hunts because of duck season.
2. Extend Muzzleloader by one week . However, the first week of M/L should be traditional M/L only! The inline guys can wait until later or even for rifle season.
3. Extend bow season to allow "long and recurve" only.
4. Lower the cost of license as it's to damned expensive to hunt here!

There is my two cents! Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1
All mine have already been said, but here we go;
1. Coyotes day or night w/ Night vision devices allowed
2. Hogs back on the list
3. Turkey removed from big game, and higher bag limits.
4. Extend all deer seasons. They are way overpopulated, and are becoming more of a pest every year.
  • Like 1
[quote name='gregintenn' timestamp='1354753480' post='855465']
This!!!^^^

Also, I'd like to be able to hunt small game and turkeys with a centerfire rifle/handgun.
[/quote]

The odds of that are more than very slim! It's a safety issue!

Dave S
[quote name='peejman' timestamp='1354741616' post='855370']
I don't ask much... [size=6]just regulations that are clear and simple[/size]. Simplify the seasons, licenses, WMA permits, etc.
[/quote]

I'd settle for that. It's like it's encrypted and they aren't telling use how to decoded it to figure it all out.
Plus the regulations are spread out all over the guide book.

Maybe it's me and I'm just not smart enough to figure it all out THE FIRST TIME I READ IT.
It takes me at least 3 times to figure it out. Edited by TnShooter83
[quote name='peejman' timestamp='1354741616' post='855370']
I don't ask much... just regulations that are clear and simple. Simplify the seasons, licenses, WMA permits, etc.
[/quote]
[quote name='TnShooter83' timestamp='1354766831' post='855588']
I'd settle for that. It's like it's encrypted and they aren't telling use how to decoded it to figure it all out.
Plus the regulations are spread out all over the guide book.

Maybe it's me and I'm just not smart enough to figure it all out THE FIRST TIME I READ IT.
It takes me at least 3 times to figure it out.
[/quote]

[size=3]I have provided commentary on hunting regulations during every open call by TWRC over the last years, for the express purpose of simplification and applying common sense where possible. [/size]

[size=3]Usually, I send 15-30 pages of comment (which covers the entire reg-guide section by section in detail) that takes me several weeks to prepare with thought and care.[/size]

[size=3]In several cases, I have seen my suggestions implemented almost word for word, or have a concept embraced. In other cases, I have seen the TWRC moved exactly opposite of my viewpoints. Rarely have they actually condensed and simplified the regs, but some sections improve.[/size]

[size=3]If you want your ideas heard (much less considered), I suggest keeping the following in mind -[/size]

[size=3]- Understand and accept that with few exceptions, you are an "outsider" and not the responsible professional. Make an attempt to understand why the regulations are written as they exist. Change does not come willingly, and with TWRC....pretty much never by blunt trauma.[/size]

[size=3]- Get to know your regional Public Information Officers, having open ended lines of questioning (on your issues) in pocket for conversational discussion during events, banquets, phone calls. In other words, let them teach you on their terms, and let them do what they love and do best in non-confrontational terms[/size]

[size=3]- [u]*never*[/u] “burn” an officer, staffer, or commissioner with inside knowledge they may happen to provide. If it is shared privately, keep it to yourself.[/size]
[size=3]- research your subjects, be aware of what other states are doing, and why. Be aware of pros, cons, limitations.[/size]
[size=3]- approach regulatory changes from the point of stake-holder in Tennessee wildlife management, not as biased to your personal interests.[/size]

[size=3]include a short cover letter providing details as to why you consider yourself a stake holder. E.G. lifetime licensed, hunter safety course, teaching your children (if your kid killed a deer for example, mention a few things on that), associations and interest groups.[/size]

[size=3]Mention a point, something that in pleases you (example -. a specific habitat improvement that you have noted in the field, or positive encounter with TWRA staff). Encourage them (in your words) to continue the great job they are doing (and they are doing a great job under difficult environments and demands). Express appreciation for their participation in specific events that you have personally attended, for example wounded warrior hunts or jakes events.[/size]

[size=3]Thank them for the opportunity to contribute,[/size]

[size=3]Provide your contact details,[/size]

[size=3]Then introduce your commentary. Hopefully you can include a thesis statement and executive summary.[/size]

[size=3]In your commentary,[/size]

[size=3]-unlike this post, [i]do not send your first draft![/i] Polish & revise over a week or so (even one-pagers).[/size]
[size=3]-be considerate[/size]
[size=3]- look professional, sound intelligent, use a clear easy to read format, use proper grammar and punctuation, correct words and correct spelling.[/size]
[size=3]-It is submitted to public record, so avoid content that you will be ashamed to read in the paper or a web-site.[/size]

[size=3]On a given issue at heart –[/size]
[list]
[*][size=3]Provide background; including current regulation with cites (don’t make TWRC look it up to read…they won’t have the time)[/size]
[*][size=3]The issue itself[/size]
[*][size=3]How to resolve (in general terms)[/size]
[*][size=3]Any statistics, data, supporting information[/size]
[*][size=3]Provide technical analysis, identify and acknowledge risk and suggest mitigation (if any)[/size]
[*][size=3]Suggested language /content for the updated regulation[/size]
[/list]

[size=3]Copy your commentary to other stakeholders (TWRC, TWRA management, legislators, Governor). Good ideas are embraced, bad ideas are either improved upon or discarded – but no one reads your mind.[/size]

[size=3]Do not be offended if you receive zero direct feedback. I have several hundred hours invested so far, and my only acknowledgement is a few of my sentences showing up verbatim in the reg-guide.[/size]

[size=3]Do not be offended if someone disagrees with you (privately or publically). The call for input by TWRC is a public forum.[/size] Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1
[quote name='DaveS' timestamp='1354754092' post='855470']
The odds of that are more than very slim! It's a safety issue!

Dave S
[/quote]

Why? I deer hunt with a centerfire.

Not trying to be a smart a$$; just not following you. Edited by gregintenn
[quote name='gregintenn' timestamp='1354848037' post='856228']

Not trying to be a smart a$$; just not following you.[/quote]

With that in mind I think if everyone had to wear 500 sq inches of daylight flourescent blaze orange on their upper body and head, like in deer gun seasons, rifles would definitely be needed to get a shot at a turkey. Personally I'd rather just keep on shooting a shotgun.
I think the only change that I would really like to see is the Buck limit reduced to 1 per year. I would support an antler restriction, like 4 points or better on one side, but I don't think that's likely. I have hunted states with antler restrictions, 4 on one side in Missouri, and minimum spreads in Georgia. Both places have seen dramatic increases in the number of mature bucks harvested. I don't care if someone wants to shoot a small buck, but[u][b] most [/b][/u]would rather shoot a bigger mature buck. It's hard to get a good established population of mature bucks when hunters are allowed to kill 3 1.5yo bucks per year.

I didn't kill a buck last year. It's not looking like I will kill a buck this year. Not because I haven't had bucks within range, but because I haven't had a mature buck in range.
I would like to see the fishing license separated from the small game license. I don't hunt, I have nothing against it, i think it is cool, I just don't do it. Every year I have to pay 30 bucks for a type 01 small game/fishing license to basicly drown crickets and throw a rubber worm or two with my daughter when it is too cool or we are too tired to swim.
[quote name='gregintenn' timestamp='1354848037' post='856228']

Not trying to be a smart a$$; just not following you.
[/quote]

During gun season we have to wear blaze orange for safety. Imagine how hard it would be to hunt turkeys in 500 square inches of orange. Those birds can see you blink lol. It's gonna be about safety.
[quote name='Hunting101' timestamp='1355064675' post='857193']
During gun season we have to wear blaze orange for safety. Imagine how hard it would be to hunt turkeys in 500 square inches of orange. Those birds can see you blink lol. It's gonna be about safety.
[/quote]

Thanks. I understand where you are coming from. I have a 218 Bee and 22 Hornet that are just above a 22 Magnum in performance. They make great squirrel guns, and would also be effective for turkeys. Also, I enjoy shooting squirrels with 38 Special wadcutter target loads. You can almost throw a rock with the same energy level. Several states allow centerfire guns for these purposes, and I don't believe they require blaze orange.

[quote name='gregintenn' timestamp='1355065010' post='857195']
Thanks. I understand where you are coming from. I have a 218 Bee and 22 Hornet that are just above a 22 Magnum in performance. They make great squirrel guns, and would also be effective for turkeys. Also, I enjoy shooting squirrels with 38 Special wadcutter target loads. You can almost throw a rock with the same energy level. Several states allow centerfire guns for these purposes, and I don't believe they require blaze orange.
[/quote]

But Tennessee doesn't allow the use of centerfire rifles or handguns for squirrel hunting. You must mean you shoot them with rimfire, shotgun or muzzleloader. :whistle:

Dave S

[quote name='DaveS' timestamp='1355093786' post='857419']
But Tennessee doesn't allow the use of centerfire rifles or handguns for squirrel hunting. You must mean you shoot them with rimfire, shotgun or muzzleloader. :whistle:

Dave S
[/quote]

Right. No one said I did it in Tennessee. :surrender:

[quote name='DaveS' timestamp='1355097477' post='857450']
LOL...I'm with ya bro! I bet the .38 turns them inside out huh? I could only imagine!

Dave S
[/quote]

No sir. Actually, the wadcutter cuts a neat, round hole with little meat damage; often less than with a 22 HP.
[quote name='gregintenn' timestamp='1355097615' post='857454']
No sir. Actually, the wadcutter cuts a neat, round hole with little meat damage; often less than with a 22 HP.
[/quote]

That's awesome..I figured it would destroy them!

Dave S