M&P pro 5" range report

Guest Travtastik

Guest Travtastik
Well after a lot of looking I finally found a 5 inch 9mm on gunbroker and pulled the trigger. I got to pick it from the FFL today and headed right over to the range and tried it out. I opened the box and instantly installed the large backstrap and started blasting away. Thats when it hit me....the trigger SUCKS!!!! Its extremly gritty and not at all what I was expecting. I had heard all about how bad the older triggers were, but I figured it was worked out by now. I had 2 full size m&ps that were dated March of 2012 and 2 shields and the triggers were alot smoother then this pro dated Oct 2012. Other then the trigger this thing rocks. I like the green F/O front and black rear combo and the extended sight radius. Right out of the box the gun was on target and hitting everthing I tried for. Was able to ring a 8 inch steel plate at 65 yards that I could never hit with my full size. Could tell a big improvment in my target transtions with the sights Overall I am pleased with the pro but the trigger was a let down. I am hoping maybe it will get better with some break in time.I was planing on installing a apex comp kit or sending it off to burnwells for some trigger work later, but looks like it will be sooner then planed.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Travtastik
[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/05/sy4uhada.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/05/ezy6urav.jpg[/IMG]

Oops almost forgot the "pics are it didn't happen" rule.
I was fortunate enough that my M&P9 full size and M&P9 compact did not have this gritty trigger I keep hearing about. One thing you can try doing, that costs nothing, is to use a fine grit sandpaper and see if you can try polishing the part of the trigger bar where it contacts the sear and where it contacts the striker block, as well as polishing the striker block some. That should help some (and really, a trigger job from a gunsmith does the same thing except they just go a lot more hardcore with the polishing).

An option that costs slightly more is the Apex Hard Sear. I've got it on my full size and just ordered one for my compact. I think the trigger is perfect with the sear alone. Some people like to get the springs or the ultimate striker block or ram or whatever other parts, but I'd recommend trying just the sear first and see if you like that before dumping more money into the gun.
It took me a while to get a Pro as well...those things are fairly hard to find! Mine had a gritty, nasty trigger at first also. If you have a few gunsmithing tools it isn't hard to improve it quite a bit. All you need is some stones, sandpaper, and a polishing wheel to smooth things up and change the angle slightly on the sear. Look up Burwell trigger job and the work is outlined in PPT format. As stated above, the more expensive option is to go with APEX parts. I installed the competition kit on my first M&P and it has an amazing trigger. However, you can closely mimic the kit following the Burwell trigger ppt.

As a side note, the pro also makes a fantastic suppressor host should you be interested in adding one. It has functioned flawlessly with my TiRant suppressor and sounds amazing.
Guest Travtastik
I have read the instructions for the trigger job but I didn't want my first attempt to be on this gun. I guess I will try it out and if something goes wrong I can take it up from there. I am going to try and put a couple hundred rounds down range with it before I do anything.
I have a M&P Pro 9 and love the gun. I use it to shoot SSP division in IDPA. If you are planning on using the gun for conceal carry I would suggest going with the APEX M&P Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit DCAEK ($89.95). This will smooth out your trigger and kept the trigger pull around 5.5lbs. If you want an even lighter trigger pull Apex has the APEX M&P Competition Action Enhancement Kit -Comp AEK ($94.95). Which ever you choose the kits are not that difficult to put in you handgun. Apex has several great videos to get you through the process. If you do decide to put the kits in on your own I would strongly suggest purchasing a Roll Pin Punch Set. Happy shooting.