Wanted - Women's Self Defense Class Chattanooga

My teenage granddaughter is going off to college next fall and we want her to be prepared to defend herself. No guns since she is underage, no ninja throwing stars, blowguns or nunckucks. Besides pepper spray, is there any women's defense classes offered around Chattanooga? She apparently has matured to where she knows everything so I can't teach her anything, so Chattanooga State or something? Thanks for the help.
Cherokee Slim
Shooters depot offers a defensive divas class for women. I believe officer zirk teaches it. (he taught my hcp course and was very good). I can't comment specifically on the course because I don't know anyone that has taken it, but I have a great deal of respect for officer zirk from the way he handled the hcp course. Seems to be a top notch guy/instructor
zirk is a great guy but that may be a gun based class. However he does one on one sessions & you might get him to teach it more martial arts heavy as I am sure he knows some hand to hand and more than enough for basic defense. There are dozens of martial arts studios in town as well, but I cannot comment on one over another. Surely some of them offer short, no nonsense classes. Just have to weed out the competition and exercise programs to find a serious place -- the competetive martial arts have rules and the exercise stuff is nearly useless.
I'm pretty sure Defensive Divas is a hand-to-hand defensive course. Here's a link to the official page.

http://www.theshootersdepot.com/class-descriptions/#def-divas

I know Zirk also does 1 on 1 classes / lessons too (like you said Jonin). You'd probably have to call shooter's to see about setting that up.
Edited by JGunner
There is an excellent course offered from time to time at Chattanooga Jiu Jitsu Academy. My wife went through that one, and I try to get my Mom to go every time it comes up. I believe it is more realistic for women because he preaches awareness and teaches techniques that aren't striking based, as that is a game that any woman is going to lose.

Full disclosure-I train there, so I'm a little biased towards Jiu Jitsu based techniques.
  • Like 1
  • 1 year later...
Guest zirkops

Hi all, Ron Zirk checking in with you.  I stumbled over this blog (I am a couple years late to respond...oops) and am honored by the comments on my instructional ability.  Thank you for your kind words and positive references.  I got to thinking that if I stumbled over the blog just recently, then maybe others who stumble over it can gather a little information to help jumpstart research on self-defense/firearm training, etc.  The program I developed is call Xtreme Divas 360 and the content can be viewed at Zirkops.com.  I have taught this program for colleges and local gun stores, businesses, clubs, churches, schools and fitness centers in and around the Chattanooga area.  I have this program based from our company called ZirkOps Training.  Our location is 6212  Highway 58, Harrison, Tn. .Phone: 423-244-8836  Web:  zirkops.com    We are next door to Carter Shooting Supply.  We teach a large variety of defense and firearm classes for every stage of learning.  If our company can assist you or your family's needs, please don't hesitate to contact us.  Thank you for your support and confidence.