No more Autozone for me!!!!!

KaNuckles

I have worked for a place that had a policy that you can have it but if a Manager sees it you will be written up. If after you are written up once you will be fired the next time. They had an no policy until a customer tried to sue them because it "Tramatized" them to see a gun in the store.
[quote name='Caster' timestamp='1354656806' post='854911']
I lost it with Autozone a few years ago. I wanted a carb kit for a holley two barrel. THe guy asked me what vehicle. I said a 1970 International Travel-All. He said "Okay, who makes that?" I said "INTERNATIONAL" He said [in a very condescending tone] "No sir, I mean who manufactured it. You know, Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge...." I said "oh my god you moron, INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER!!!"
[/quote]That is what you get for asking for a part to a brand that does not exist. lol
[quote name='tennessee01tacoma' timestamp='1354643536' post='854789']
I work for the Nazizone. It's definitely true they have a sort of "zero tolerance" policy. No weapons on premisis including knives. I keep my pistol in my truck if I ever have to use it at work then my job is the least of my concerns. A former coworker was written up for calling in a tag number to the police department. He didn't interfere or interact with the thief at all
[/quote]

That seems to be a very bad, over the top policy that ought to be brought to the attention of the local Chief of Police. Perilously close to obstruction of justice, for an employee to have useful information about a crime and constrained from sharing it with the police. Very bad business.
[quote name='Spots' timestamp='1354656713' post='854910']
Its not so much the policy they have in place, though I do disagree with it. I'm like maroonandwhite, its the fact that they fired him, [i][b]even though he respected their rules[/b][/i] right up until his actions possibly saved someones life. He should not have been fired for retreving a firearm, then using it in defense of another employee, as well as store merchandise.
[/quote]Most of these rules state that they are not allowed to have them in their vehicle while at work and that's the reason we are having the fight in our legislature now about allowing employees to store a weapon in that vehicle while at work. Even if we get a good law passed allowing this, it will probably still be against company policy for the employee to remove that weapon for any reason.
[quote name='Volzfan' timestamp='1354660769' post='854940']
Most of these rules state that they are not allowed to have them in their vehicle while at work and that's the reason we are having the fight in our legislature now about allowing employees to store a weapon in that vehicle while at work. Even if we get a good law passed allowing this, it will probably still be against company policy for the employee to remove that weapon for any reason.
[/quote]
Ding ding ding. That is AutoZones policy as well but I know myself and one other employee at my store that both have our hcp and we keep ours in our vehicles
[quote name='tennessee01tacoma' timestamp='1354663913' post='854969']
Ding ding ding. That is AutoZones policy as well but I know myself and one other employee at my store that both have our hcp and we keep ours in our vehicles
[/quote]
I hope your boss does not see this, You work at AZ in Joyner and drive a Tacoma. Kinda narrows it down some.
Good grief, are cops the only ones with discretion? [img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/biggrin.gif[/img]
As a cop it was up to me if you got arrested or not (except for felonies, DV, or DUI). If I agreed with why you broke the law; I could let you go. I would think store managers have some discretion when it comes to Company Policy.

The conversation should have gone something like this…

Store Manager: You violated Company policy, so you can’t be employee of the month this month. You were free and clear and could have left the night Manager for dead meat; but you didn’t. I think your actions may well have saved both his live and yours. You proved that you can do the right thing under extreme pressure. So I’m giving you a raise.

Employee: Okay, thank you.

Store Manager: We’ll talk next month about the employee of the month thing. Oh and BTW, next time you engage an Armed Robber; kill him, don’t let him run off.
  • Like 4
They are ALL of the same mind, don't interfere with a robber and no guns. Well I stopped a potential Robert at an auto zone once in Chattanooga. Guy came in saying he was going to rob the place, changed his mind real fast when he saw me on a ladder with my hand resting on my 45.
I hope everyone here able to use duct tape, bondo, and bailing wire better then me to keep their cars and bug out vehicles on the road. I have to get my part someplace and I believe most retailers have similar polices. Edited by vontar
I would wager every corporate owned or big name chain has the exact same policy. No, I won't wager, I'll just state it as fact.

BTW, I learned today you can not use duct tape for the temporary repair of a busted fuel line, even if you only wanted it to last for 3 miles.
[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1354668598' post='854998']

BTW, I learned today you can not use duct tape for the temporary repair of a busted fuel line, even if you only wanted it to last for 3 miles.
[/quote]
Did you try melting it around the line with a BIC lighter, that's what I always do.
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
[quote name='DaveTN' timestamp='1354666660' post='854986']Good grief, are cops the only ones with discretion? [img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/biggrin.gif[/img]
As a cop it was up to me if you got arrested or not (except for felonies, DV, or DUI). If I agreed with why you broke the law; I could let you go. I would think store managers have some discretion when it comes to Company Policy.

The conversation should have gone something like this…

Store Manager: You violated Company policy, so you can’t be employee of the month this month. You were free and clear and could have left the night Manager for dead meat; but you didn’t. I think your actions may well have saved both his live and yours. You proved that you can do the right thing under extreme pressure. So I’m giving you a raise.

Employee: Okay, thank you.

Store Manager: We’ll talk next month about the employee of the month thing. Oh and BTW, next time you engage an Armed Robber; kill him, don’t let him run off.[/quote]

In theory this would work. The only problem is that anything of this nature could not be kept at a store level. I would also put money on the store manager not being the one who made the decision to fire the employee; it was likely made by a district manager in conjunction with the Loss Prevention department. Someone at least at the district, if not corporate made the decision to terminate this employee.
Shall we look at this realistically?

If we were to boycott all the business's that were hostile to employees carrying guns on the job and no CCW by their customers in their stores, we would be producing all our own food, textiles and equipment. Agreed? You can't tell who's who without a score card.

It ALWAYS boils down to money, liability and lawyers, period! Follow the MONEY! I don't need to tell you the fiscal business decisions a company has to make to keep their insurance affordable and liability responsibilities in check. It always boils down to the buck, period. The ONLY exception to this rule is me writing this dissertation for Free!

A business has the right to develop a strategy to reduce liability and minimize law suits to sustain their business and make a profit and employ people. An individual, customer, employee has the God given right to defend his/her life. Hopefully, the two can meet in middle ground?
[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1354668598' post='854998']
I would wager every corporate owned or big name chain has the exact same policy. No, I won't wager, I'll just state it as fact.

[/quote]

On the 4Runner? How many miles do you have on that thing these days?
This is probably the only time when I think being a union member is a good thing. I'm sure he could have kept his job or at least had a better chance.

I hope that with enough negative publicity the company will offer him his job back but I won't hold my breath.
[quote name='Chucktshoes' timestamp='1354670514' post='855014']
In theory this would work. The only problem is that anything of this nature could not be kept at a store level. I would also put money on the store manager not being the one who made the decision to fire the employee; it was likely made by a district manager in conjunction with the Loss Prevention department. Someone at least at the district, if not corporate made the decision to terminate this employee.
[/quote]

Man, I hope they didn't make the manager do the firing. If they told me to do it, I'd say "screw that, you come and do it yourself. He just saved my life". or maybe even, "when you come down to fire him, bring a new store manager with you too, cause we'll walk out together"
Guest seawolf138
[quote name='Mike.357' timestamp='1354656199' post='854905']if you refuse to do business with companies that don't allow their employees to carry guns I am not sure where you can do business at.[/quote]
This. All 3 of the big pizza chains forbid carry. Not sure about some of the newer ones or locals. With some of the places they make us deliver it really bothers me.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

[quote name='seawolf138' timestamp='1354693442' post='855164']
This. All 3 of the big pizza chains forbid carry. Not sure about some of the newer ones or locals. With some of the places they make us deliver it really bothers me.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
[/quote]

Wasn't there a recent case where a delivery man won a court case against his employer for using a gun to defend himself that he had in his car?
[quote name='NRA' timestamp='1354664392' post='854973']

I hope your boss does not see this, You work at AZ in Joyner and drive a Tacoma. Kinda narrows it down some.
[/quote]Lol there is definitely no Az in Joyner not even a post office, I'm not the only person that works at Az that drives a Tacoma. Furthermore my store manager is an army veteran and the news story infuriated her. Edited by tennessee01tacoma
[quote name='Erik88' timestamp='1354672163' post='855028']
This is probably the only time when I think being a union member is a good thing. I'm sure he could have kept his job or at least had a better chance.

I hope that with enough negative publicity the company will offer him his job back but I won't hold my breath.
[/quote]I wish that was the case, but a union wouldn't be able to keep him his job, nor would it defend him. Nice
thought, but reality is something else.