New Holster, Range Time and My Wally Walk

Guest Razz

Lesson of the week (for me): Learning about a subject by reading and conversation is no substitute for practical experience.

I have been studying daily in anticipation of my HCP and CCW. I have read (seemingly) every thread on this and many other forums, learning from the wisdom and mistakes of others. I have put in quite a few hours of range time and prepared myself, mentally, for the task of daily carry.

Four months after I decided on this endeavor, I picked up an Appendix-Carry holster from Old Faithful Holsters and set out for my first trip out the front door of my home as a legally armed citizen. I started with the holster at the 1:00 position and found it VERY uncomfortable but I stuck with it, all day.

My first stop was the range, where I would perform my first chambered draw. I steadied my breathing, pulled up my shirt, gripped my pistol and drew to my target. I had prepared myself, minutes earlier, for the long, DA trigger pull...something I have not practiced very often. I squeezed the trigger and felt the hammer strike but missed the BANG that I have become accustomed to. I realized in that split second what had happened and imagined some of the grizzled ancients of TGO shaking their heads. Yep...I walked out the door without a round chambered. And the worst part? I didn't even realize it because I wasn't paying attention.

There are quite a few lessons to be learned from this experience and I only hope I can retain them.

Over the next few days of carrying, I tried several different positions for the holster. I finally settled on 3:00 and find it comfortable both standing and sitting. I had a full morning of errands, this morning consisting of a stop by work, gassed up the car, went to the bank and did some light shopping at Walmart. All with family in tow. It felt really good to know I had another level of protection for them.

Just wanted to share. I'm off to the range for some much needed practice.

-Razz
I also just started trying appendix carry and found it to be uncomfortable even with a small slim firearm (Kel-Tec PF9). Sounds like you are on the right path and can just chalk that one up to a beginner's mistake! Just a suggestion but I would try to get a holster with some forward cant and try it at around 4 o clock. I am assuming that your appendix holster doesn't have any cant. You may like it the best at 3 oclock but my experience has been that it will rub you after a while.

Good luck!
[quote name='maroonandwhite' timestamp='1354556460' post='854275']
I also just started trying appendix carry and found it to be uncomfortable even with a small slim firearm (Kel-Tec PF9). Sounds like you are on the right path and can just chalk that one up to a beginner's mistake! Just a suggestion but I would try to get a holster with some forward cant and try it at around 4 o clock. I am assuming that your appendix holster doesn't have any cant. You may like it the best at 3 oclock but my experience has been that it will rub you after a while.

Good luck!
[/quote]
My holster does not have any cant but I was able to drop one clip and raise the other, creating maybe 10 degrees of cant. Seems to work. I am going to try a factory-canted holster for the G26 after Christmas.
[quote name='peejman' timestamp='1354560654' post='854316']
Sounds like a good learning experience. I'm curious where you found a range that allows drawing from concealment? Most don't allow drawing from an open holster, much less a concealed one.
[/quote]
Ya know...I hadn't even thought about whether it was allowed. It was only once and nobody slapped my wrist. I'll ask before I do it again, however. Thanks for the heads up.
If you are carrying the 26 I'd try to get the barrel pointing right in that area just above you butt and behind you hip bone. When I had my Glock 27 it would disappear in that location and i'd forget I had it on. If you haven't already get you a good gun belt. You don't have to get custom leather (it's nice though) but do get one that is rigid enough that you can't bend it. I'd also recommend the Galco King-Tuk for that gun as they can be had for around $50 online and you don't have to wait a month for it to be made. It is fully adjustable for cant and depth.
[quote name='maroonandwhite' timestamp='1354564930' post='854358']
If you are carrying the 26 I'd try to get the barrel pointing right in that area just above you butt and behind you hip bone. When I had my Glock 27 it would disappear in that location and i'd forget I had it on. If you haven't already get you a good gun belt. You don't have to get custom leather (it's nice though) but do get one that is rigid enough that you can't bend it. I'd also recommend the Galco King-Tuk for that gun as they can be had for around $50 online and you don't have to wait a month for it to be made. It is fully adjustable for cant and depth.
[/quote]
A gun belt is on the top of my list. I plan on spending a little more to get something I want to wear.
[quote name='maroonandwhite' timestamp='1354561822' post='854329']
My range in Memphis allows for drawing IF you have taken an advanced handgun class.
[/quote]

Things like this make me glad I shoot at unstructured outdoor ranges.