Your experience with .400 Corbon handgun

greyofk

I studied the geometry and loading data for .400 Corbon. I also read a lot of reviews and range reports about this cartridge. I've got impression that reliability issues prevented widespread of this (excellent in theory) round.
In theory a bottleneck case should feed better than a straight case. In real life it mostly depends on the magazine. Most of .400 Corbon handguns were converted from .45 ACP. I had not heard about any special mags.

My questions are:

1. Who ever had .400 gun or converted other calibre to .400?
2. How reliable was the action?
3. Did you use factory loads or handloads?
4. Did you make .400 brass from .45 ACP brass?
5. How did the gun function with your handloads?
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not so obvious.
.400 Corbon to 10mm relation is similar to .357 SIG to 9x23 Winchester relation. 9x23 is undeniably great cartridge. However .357 SIG is more common.
The key of .357 SIG success was great pistols from ZIG and easy conversion
I would like to try .400 Corbon, but I can not find a range that rents such a gun
[quote name='greyofk' timestamp='1354411199' post='853580']
I studied the geometry and loading data for .400 Corbon. I also read a lot of reviews and range reports about this cartridge. I've got impression that reliability issues prevented widespread of this (excellent in theory) round.
In theory a bottleneck case should feed better than a straight case. In real life it mostly depends on the magazine. Most of .400 Corbon handguns were converted from .45 ACP. I had not heard about any special mags.

My questions are:

[color=#0000FF]Yes, I fired 5 rounds and converted it back to 45 ACP[/color]
[color=#0000FF]100% reliable. Bottleneck calibers tend to be more reliable than straight walled calibers. Like 357 sig or 7.62x25 Tokarev[/color]
[color=#0000FF]I used Factory Corbon ammo. 135 grain stuff at 1,450 fps[/color]
[color=#0000FF]You can but it is recommended to use 45 Super because it has a thicker web to guard against the extra pressures. I have heard of people using .308 brass and cutting it down[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Never used handloads but if I had kept the caliber I would have loaded my own ammo[/color]
[/quote]

Do you own a 400 Corbon?

Dolomite
[quote name='greyofk' timestamp='1354411199' post='853580']

My questions are:

[i][b]Both 1911 and Glock 21.[/b][/i]
[i][b]Very reliable.[/b][/i]
[i][b]Both. I liked the Berry's 155gr bullets as they are easy to load and feed reliably.[/b][/i]
[i][b]As suggested above, I used .308 brass with split necks that I cut down and re-sized.[/b][/i]
[i][b]Perfectly. The .400 Corbon is an excellent caliber, but in the 1911 it really should be kept just a hair less powerful than the 10mm. I found that 10.2gr of Winchester Action Pistol reliably gives right at 1275fps with 155gr bullets.[/b][/i]
[/quote]

The pressures for .400 are lower than for 10mm. So it will NOT reach 10mm power levels (1350fps with 155gr). But it will reach a lot higher than the .40S&W's 1150fps with the same bullets.

Factory ammo is getting hard to find. But if you reload, you will never have a problem finding cases!