Gift of toy guns at school leads to policy changes

Guest TankerHC
I don't care if they're white, black, red, yellow or pink. That has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's about a child and parent who broke the rules, [color=#b22222]and the implications could have been disastrous[/color]," said grandparent Vicki Twitty.

I wish she would have gone on to explain how having a toy gun could be disastrous.
Did a little bit of research and this Twitty woman is a retired substitute teacher, and she says that because she thinks the gun looks real that it would've create chaos.

[quote]
“This gun looks very real to me,” Twitty
said. “What if they pulled it out on the bus?
The chaos that could ensue is terrifying.”[/quote]

I would be willing to bet that not a single person on this board is surprised about what she said, now knowing she was a teacher.
[quote name='Sam1' timestamp='1354377008' post='853367']Could you clarify that progression a little bit? I'm lost how they can go from a BB gun to mass murderer without having an AK and Glock[/quote]

He probably meant high capacity BB guns.
[quote name='Garufa' timestamp='1354375172' post='853353']Why are they passing around gifts for an Islamic holiday in a public school?[/quote]

I'm not aware if the school had a policy against allowing students being allowed to bring Christmas gift bags for other students. If they do, this would be discriminatory and wrong, but I'm sure there is no rule against Christmas gift bags if a parent wants to hand them out to the other kids. I have no issue against my kid coming home with a Ramadan gift bag. He won't turn into a Muslim and I won't be offended, unless I am not allowed to do the same in regard to Christmas. Maybe one of the parents can hand out dreidels and share some rich Jewish traditions with the Muslim kid.
  • Like 2
I’m curious also… is Christmas not celebrated in Tennessee schools? Please forgive my ignorance on the subject, my kids are adults.

I’m glad to see that they can now suspend a kid at the whim of school officials even if there is no policy violation. The custodian is a school official….right?
[quote name='Sam1' timestamp='1354377008' post='853367']
Could you clarify that progression a little bit? I'm lost how they can go from a BB gun to mass murderer without having an AK and Glock
[/quote]
The term"real guns" would be AK's and Glocks. All real guns are AKs and GLOCKS.