Watch where you target shoot.

Guest PapaB

A friendly reminder to have a proper back stop while target shooting.

[url="http://www.herald-citizen.com/view/full_story/20940780/article-Three-arrested-for-firing-gun-toward-a-house?instance=main_article"]http://www.herald-citizen.com/view/full_story/20940780/article-Three-arrested-for-firing-gun-toward-a-house?instance=main_article[/url]

Here's what got my attention:
“The round entered through the exterior wall at the back of the house, then traveled through the dining room, into the living room through a doorway, into the north wall of the living room, which is adjacent to a bedroom, through an interior wall, exited the interior wall into that bedroom and embedded itself into the east exterior wall of the house,” Phipps said.

and:
"The Shipley Road house was approximately 224 feet from the barrel the three had been shooting at, the report says."

They were shooting a 9mm, I'd guess they used FMJ judging by the penetration.
Of course alcohol was involved in this particular case.

I hope no one is using FMJ in their home defense weapon.
350 to 400 ft. lbs of energy 1100 to 1250 fps. through a barrel at 33 ft. then 3 1/2 walls at 100 yds...

so we learn (?) that 9mm FMJ with a residual 280 ft lbs +/- or so will go through 3 1/2 walls as long as you don't find a stud and[b][i] the slug doesn't tumble[/i][/b]....

and yes don't be a dumbass have a decent backstop..

“The round entered through the exterior wall at the [b]back[/b] of the house, then traveled through the dining room, into the living room through a doorway, into the [b]north[/b] wall of the living room, which is adjacent to a bedroom, through an interior wall, exited the interior wall into that bedroom and embedded itself into the [b][i]east[/i][/b] exterior wall of the house,”

so the shot impacted diagonally through the house,... and didn't deflect due to angular impact ? have seen bullets do interesting things not arguing with what happened just sayin it is interesting given the limited information we have.
[quote name='LngRngShtr' timestamp='1354206243' post='852437']
350 to 400 ft. lbs of energy 1100 to 1250 fps. through a barrel at 33 ft. then 3 1/2 walls at 100 yds...

so we learn (?) that 9mm FMJ with a residual 280 ft lbs +/- or so will go through 3 1/2 walls as long as you don't find a stud and[b][i] the slug doesn't tumble[/i][/b]....

and yes don't be a dumbass have a decent backstop..

“The round entered through the exterior wall at the [b]back[/b] of the house, then traveled through the dining room, into the living room through a doorway, into the [b]north[/b] wall of the living room, which is adjacent to a bedroom, through an interior wall, exited the interior wall into that bedroom and embedded itself into the [b][i]east[/i][/b] exterior wall of the house,”

so the shot impacted diagonally through the house,... and didn't deflect due to angular impact ? have seen bullets do interesting things not arguing with what happened just sayin it is interesting given the limited information we have.
[/quote]

My money says they missed the barrel with that round that went thru the house. Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1
My back stop is a 3/4" thick piece of steel, nothing I shoot will go through it.
The holes in the right side go into the groung just behind the plate.
[img]http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/redintn/Left%20handed%207mm%20mag/backstop75thick2.jpg[/img] Edited by RED333
  • Like 1