apartments and firearms

ironsniper1

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

we have had zero issues, it's not even brought up in the leases. - I would highly suggest getting an alarm system to install though, we use one from simplisafe.com it's completely wireless, have plenty of glass break sensors, motion sensors and door sensors. If the power goes out, the alarm actually has a battery and cellphone built in so it can operate for days without power.

The only thing I'm cautious of is when I use an air compressor in the garage to blow out some of the carbon, I make sure the door is closed so no one can see in. Edited by Sam1
[quote name='Lumber_Jack' timestamp='1354190473' post='852344']
It is very common for apartment leases to prohibit firearms. Hopefully the OP finds a good place.
[/quote]

I did not know that and probably need to check my lease.
  • Moderators
[quote]Anyways what business is it of theirs and how would they know?[/quote]

Typically the owners of an apartment complex would probably see it as a liability. The more firearms in an area, the more of a chance of a negligent discharge or that one of them will be used to defend one's self. In either case, there is also a chance that a bullet would go through walls and strike someone completely unaware of the situation. The owners are probably afraid that the unintended innocent victim will sue the person that fired the shot as well as the apartment owners themselves. I am not sure whether there is an precedent for such a thing, but I could see it happening and thus so unfortunately understand why the owners would be weary of leaving firearms unmentioned.

It's all about the lawyers and insurance.
[quote name='Lumber_Jack' timestamp='1354190473' post='852344']
It is very common for apartment leases to prohibit firearms. Hopefully the OP finds a good place.
[/quote]

Member had big flap over that about a year ago, was his user name Wyatt Earp? Couldn't find him, banned due to the other issue he had, or changed name?

At any rate, unlike some rulings on subsidized public housing, and some states that specifically bar landlords from excluding firearms, TN has no statute that prevents a landlord adding a no-firearms clause in lease, just like no-pets, whatever.

So you can scream 2A or whatever all you want, but it won't prevent the sheriff from executing a court ordered eviction notice if it comes to that.

- OS Edited by Oh Shoot
[quote name='Oh Shoot' timestamp='1354218593' post='852513']
Member had big flap over that about a year ago, was his user name Wyatt Earp? Couldn't find him, banned due to the other issue he had, or changed name?

At any rate, unlike some rulings on subsidized public housing, and some states that specifically bar landlords from excluding firearms, TN has no statute that prevents a landlord adding a no-firearms clause in lease, just like no-pets, whatever.

So you can scream 2A or whatever all you want, but it won't prevent the sheriff from executing a court ordered eviction notice if it comes to that.

- OS
[/quote]

yep that's him. He has been banned. I thought about bringing that up, but didn't really want to put the effort into looking for the thread.

every apartment lease I signed in college and after until moving into a house had a clause about "prohibited firearms". One can certainly ask to have that omitted from the lease, and have even heard of a few instances where the Apartment Complex complied. But if you don't read the contract, it very well could be there.