So what calibers do you NOT reload.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Dave Shooter' timestamp='1354157607' post='852233']
You can reload rimfire--difficult, dangerous and not recommended.
[/quote]

Yep...not to derail the topic, but there is a sizable group who pulls .22 magnum bullets out and stuff the big 60 grain + bullets for the .223 in there.

Back on topic...If I can't reload it - I don't shoot it. Can't even bring myself to shoot factory ammo.

the only way of reloading a .22 LR is Corbin used to make swaging dies for them to make them into .223 bullets using led wire as cores..might still

if it can be reloaded and I own the caliber I reload it if I don't I still save the brass I find at the range/get from friends as trading material or as an excuse to buy a firearm for the "orphan" brass

I_Like_Pie yeah but they solved that and came out with the 5.7 FN :rofl: :stir:

as others said not .22 of course. You can do it, by the way, but what a hassle.

.25 acp, because no one seems to have any brass. Ordered some but still 2 more months before that arrives. Also the bullets cost as much as the ammo by and large, so this one is a loser all the way around. I have a project going to do it on the cheap but how that turns out.... I will let you guys know.

I do not reload every 9x18, 9x19, and 223 that I fire, sometimes I buy cheap (though always brass). 9x18 brass is harder to find lately.

shotgun, as it is cheap enough that a reloader is just not worth it for me at this time.

243, but I almost never fire that gun and just have not bought any dies for it.
I reload everything I shoot.
I don't buy ANY factory ammo unless I am using it as a control for a test.

I would say that IF I shot shotguns, I would not reload them. I have in the past and it ain't worth the effort.
I don't shoot .22LR but as to Red's wonder about loading them, NO, you can't [i]reload [/i] them but you CAN handload them and there's a small cult that does. Very difficult to find, but there are sources for primed brass. I have read about a guy over on Cast Boolits that has a proper mold for one. It requires a heeled bullet. He loads them black powder and the look WILD as they have a traditional lube groove. Not worth the effort to me, but to each his own.
I don't do any shotgun shells because I don't hunt so the cheap boxes for target or 00 Bucksot and slugs for defense are fine for me .

The small caliber auto's I don't shoot enough . 25 acp , 32 acp 380 . I have thought about 380 if I shot it more but I keep coming up with ammo is easier to find now than a few years ago and doesn't seem to be as high in comparrison as it was before.The 380's popularity has gone up quite a bit in the last few years and better defense rounds are available.

I currently do not reload 7.62 x 39 or .223 because of the price of plinking ammo .

I do plan on getting a bolt or single shot .223 later and I am saving brass . I might load for the 7.62 x 39 if I get something other than AK and SKS rifles.

I got back into loading when I started getting several different WW 2 era rifles. Unless you get old military ammo you can be paying up to 30 or 40 bucks for 20 shells . Edited by Keyless
I do not reload, however, I do give my brass to a friend of mine who does. So, I do not personally. The 7.62x54R I have does not get reloaded. Its mil surp, and therefore not easily reloaded.
[url="http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?112989-success-in-reloading-a-22-long-rifle-for-survival"]http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?112989-success-in-reloading-a-22-long-rifle-for-survival[/url]

While I can't vouch for the gentleman, he claims to have reloaded 22LR. I'd heard about 19th century Indians reloading 56 Spencer and like big bore rimfires before.
Relatively new to reloading, so I don't do rifle calibers yet.

Of my centerfire pistol rounds, I don't load 7.62 x 25 Tokarev, or .32 ACP. I can buy real bullets (9mm or .357) cheaper than the .32 and I haven't found a suitable mold for casting the little buggers. I do have a 90 grain .32 Lee mold that works for the Nagant.