Repair advice

I had this given to me in hopes that it could be repaired. It is a BUCK 124 made in the USA. Super cool knife, just needs a handle repair. Anyone have experience welding these? Whenever I weld it looks like cat poo, but I am willing to try again if it can be done.
[img]http://i50.tinypic.com/2r5su91.jpg[/img]
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators
I am sure you that you already know, but just in case:

[url="http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=about.warranty"]http://www.buckknive...=about.warranty[/url]

I don't' know how they'd handle it, but I wanna say you would probably get a new one? It's been a while since I bought a Buck knife, are the still made in USA? I've heard rumors that some of them are being made in China.

BTW...how in the world did this happen? I suppose it's up to Buck whether to replace it for free, but I found this:

[quote]
[color=#413F3B][font=arial, helvetivca, 'sans serif'][size=3]REPAIRS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#413F3B][font=helvetica, arial, 'sans serif'][size=2]
If your knife needs to be repaired, please send it to us for evaluation. Don’t try to repair it yourself. Self–repair will void your warranty, not to mention that it could cause self–injury.[/size][/font][/color]
[b] Reasons why we may charge you a small fee for a repair:[/b]
[list]
[*]Damage caused by misuse or abuse.
[*]Failure to care, clean and maintain your knife.
[*]Damage due to self–repair.
[*]Knife loss due to shipping to and from the Buck Knives factory
[*]Damage due to dismantling or tampering with your Buck knife
[*]Sharpening your Buck knife on a grinder.
[/list]
[/quote]
[list]

[/list] Edited by CZ9MM
  • Moderators
[quote]Reasons why we may charge you a small fee for a repair:[/quote]

Perhaps they'll charge you a bit for it then? I don't know. All I'm saying, I think it would be worth contacting Buck, explaining to them that the tang has snapped in half, and maybe mention the blade profile has been modified. See what they offer? Phones calls are generally considered free.

Unless of course you just want the fun factor of fixing it yourself and having a 100% custom to you knife.
I've been quite a critic of current Buck knife quality on various models, but their customer service will often do amazing free things for you.

The 124 has been discontinued for some time, but apparently they're making a new model of it or something, even though it's not in their catalog. Their policy on discontinued stuff is usually to offer you a choice of knives in the same price range.

But if you want that same model, you may have no choice but to have it welded and the broken tip re-profiled into a slightly different blade shape. But worth a call to Buck. If you send it in, one option is always to do nothing after hearing what the options are, and they'll send it back.

- OS Edited by Oh Shoot

[quote name='UncleJak' timestamp='1354287547' post='852824']
UPDATE: I spoke to a machinst (idk if that's what you call it) this morning. He said this could be easily repaired by TIG welding it. Now, I just have to find a TIG welder.
[/quote]

[quote name='peejman' timestamp='1354124575' post='851994']
Assuming you can find out what alloy it's make of, a gunsmith or machine shop should be able to fix it quite easily.
[/quote]

I know several people who could easily weld it. But they're bit far from you. :)

Edited by peejman
I don't weld but have a friend with a fab shop that handles that for me. Shouldn't be too difficult. Grind both edges down to leave a trough and fill trough with weld on both sides, grind excess and there you are.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone
I've got a TIG if you haven't got it taken care of already. I'm in Mt Juliet. PM me if you decide you want to go that direction.

Also, here is a link regarding welding 420HC.
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=7258&highlight=420hc Edited by TNFlyer