'Match' primers

I managed to pick up a case of small pistol primers from Gouger Mountain the other day. The only non-magnum small pistol primers they had in stock were Federal Match primers. They were pretty much the same price as the 'regular' small pistol primers would have been so with small pistol primers getting a bit scarce, I decided to go ahead and get them.

I am assuming that 'Match' is simply intended to indicate that QC, consistency, etc. on these is better than on non 'Match' primers but that they can be used just like any other non-magnum, small pistol primer. Anyone have experience with them? Does that seem to be the case?
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure but you can use small magnums for 380 and bigger (and possibly smaller if you have precise powder measures); I find the magnums all the time and use them because the regular are harder to find. Just have to have a load for each primer type. I say that because I am assuming the match primers cost a lot more (?) than the magnums.
Guest Lester Weevils
I've used mostly federal primers small pistol and also small pistol magnum (for .357 mag loads). Sometimes match and sometimes not. They both work very reliable and the ammo is at least as accurate as factory, I think slightly more so but I'm such a bad shot it could be a psychological illusion of expectations.

Never tried to do a comparative study to discover if the match primers actually lead to more consistent ammo.

Only stayed with federal because it was a known quantity and didn't want to fix what ain't broke on the loads, but lately been loading some remington and winchester primers, slightly lower price and that is what the store happened to have available. They prime about as easy as the federals. Haven't shot a lot of the rem and win primers, dunno if they will be better, worse, or about the same. Some web gossip says that federals are easier to touch off if you have a weaker than usual firing pin strike in a gun, and the rem and win will lead to slightly hotter loads given the same powder and bullet load, but dunno if there is anything to it, or enough to make much noticeable difference. Edited by Lester Weevils
THe only primer failures I have ever had are with Tula small rifle, random hang fires and with Federal Match large rifle. I bought 1K LR match Federals with the thinking that they would be better. In my first 50 I loaded, I had 15 that would not go off after trying three times each. In my opinion they are garbage as are their quality controls. The ones that did fire failed to produce groups as tight as standard CCI LR primers when loaded with all the same components and charge weights. I give the Tulas a pass as they are cheap and from Russia, that's to be expected. Feel free to disagree but Federal Match primers are garbage.
Guest Lester Weevils
Dunno enough to argue comparative quality of different primer brands, except that the federal pistol primers all go bang for me.

There is slight difference in primer dimensions between brands. Maybe those LR federals are junk QC, or another possibility is that maybe the federals want to be seated slightly deeper or shallower than some other brands? Supposedly too-shallow seating doesn't configure the anvil properly and leads to inconsistent ignition, but have read that also too-deep seating can crush the little fuel pellet and mess up reliability?
Through the thousands and thousands of rounds I reloaded, I always used either Federal or WW and never had a single problem with any of them. Don't know if they've changed through the years, but CCI primers were a bit harder than the others, although I had no problems with the ones that I tried.
Interesting info. Thanks for the responses, guys. These primers are for loading .38 Special and .38 Special +P loads. To this point, I have only used CCI primers and have been pleased but haven't been able to find any non-magnum small pistol CCI primers, lately. I thought about going to the gun show last weekend and getting some primers from Mr. David but I really only had enough 'loose capitol' for one case and driving all the way up to Chilhowee and then paying $10 just to go in and buy one case of primers didn't make a whole lot of sense.

[quote name='Jonnin' timestamp='1354043193' post='851462']
not sure but you can use small magnums for 380 and bigger (and possibly smaller if you have precise powder measures); I find the magnums all the time and use them because the regular are harder to find. Just have to have a load for each primer type. I say that because I am assuming the match primers cost a lot more (?) than the magnums.
[/quote]

Hmmm...that is interesting about being able to use the small magnum primers. If they are okay for .380 then I would assume (yeah, I know what that means) that they would work for .38 Special and +P, as well. Being that I am still a reloading newbie, though, I don't know if I am ready (read: safe) to start working up alternate loads, etc. using magnum primers. Actually, the price on the Federal Match primers wasn't too horrible, especially for Gander. The price for the case was thirty some odd bucks, just over $40 with tax and all.

Still, it is good to know that small magnums can sub in. We went up to visit my step-grandad who lives in the Norris area last week and I stopped by the Clinton Walmart (one of only two Walmart locations in this area of which I am aware that sell reloading supplies.) They had a big, ol' stack of CCI magnum small pistol primers and not a single non-magnum small pistol primer.
price sounds the same.

If you ever do find yourself stuck with only mag primers, knock 10-15% off the powder charge and work it back up if that is not close to what you had. They work find in 38. Standard primers work fine if you use medium powder instead of "magnum" powder. Its the mag powder that needs the big primer --- use 9mm powder in a 357 and it should work cleanly with a regular primer. Magnum powder with a standard primer might leave some unburnt in some loads/guns/combinations.