Taking the girlfriend on a trip to chicago.. SD question

[quote name='Razz' timestamp='1354302574' post='852947'] I often read things two or three times due to my low comprehension. My cross to bare, I suppose.
[/quote]

Sorry, I know yall are being serious, but this statement was funny as heck. I'm gonna use it on my wife next time she gets mad about something.
  • 1 month later...
Guest parris001

I took a load of VIPs up to Chicago for the Ryder Cup. I kept my Model 36 on my ankle the whole time. I would have hated had it needed to come out, but I won't sign up to be a victim just because I had to do business in any particular town. 

I travel a lot. I never go anywhere (regardless of their stupid laws) without some way to defend myself. 

• 2 weeks later...

To be fair, there are some things in Chicago that are worth seeing: Sears Tower (it's called something else now), Navy Pier, a couple of museums, The Magnificent Mile, Water Tower Place, and the Architectural Tours by boat are great. They have numerous restaurants that have terrific food. However, with the increased threat of random violence, an increased gang presence and 500 murders last year, I wouldn't go near it right now.

I was in Chicago this summer for my 3rd trip. I like the place. Hate the politics, but the city can be pretty fun. I spend the extra money to stay at a nice place near the watertower (Sofitel Water Tower...awesome modern architecture by Mies Van Der Rohe). I always feel safe walking near there. It's busy with the Mag Mile 2 blocks away and part of Loyola Univ. a block south. I use the L train with no worries. I try to remain in the Loop except when going to a Cubs game. The red-line trains to Wrigleyville on game day are busy and full of Cubs fans. Don't ride them late at night or course. General safety things apply there like every where else. If the station is deserted and you don't feel safe, go back up to the street and get a cab.

Between the river near the Tribune building and over to Navy Pier, there's not much activity. I wouldn't walk that except on a sunny Saturday when all the people are out. Get a cab or take the "trolley" bus. Stick to The Mag Mile, Water Tower, John Hancock Bldg. Wrigleyville on game day, Theater district including a huge Macy's*, and the Willis (Sears) building during the week (dead on Sundays) and you'll have a great trip. The parks along the lake like Millenium park down the Field Museum are usually pretty dead this time of year. See "The Bean" and the giant Buckingham Fountain, then move on unless there's something happening like a concert or festival. I did NOT feel safe there one early Sunday morning.

The way some people on here sound, Chicago is Beirut circa 1984. It's not. I found the transitions from "safe" to dangerous much more rapid in Baltimore than Chicago. If you're super worried about it, take a bright flashlight and try to pick up some pepper spray once you're there. You may find some at a Walgreen's. They're everywhere up there. Mostly, relax and have fun. Just don't be stupid.

*Take her to a nice lunch at the Walnut Room in Macy's. Girls like that stuff :). You may need reservations. http://www.visitmacyschicago.com/pdfs/WalnutRoom_Menu.pdf

Most of those murders are taking place in Gangland. The police would actually do something if the crime was impacting tourism, which it doesn't appear to be. All the touristy areas I go to in Chicago usually have plenty of uniformed officers around. Let those in crime ridden neighborhoods suffer under the boot of gangs and drug dealers. They are the ones who harbor them and refuse to cooperate with police or take a stand for their community.