moved to state--obtaining carry license

Guest theWHIPLASH

Guest theWHIPLASH
Hi everyone
New to TN (as a concealed handgun carrier) from Ohio. I have carry permits from OH and FL. I went to the DL station to get my TN permit a few weeks ago. I took my NRA certificate of course completion (completed 3 years ago), my OH & FL permits. I filled out the application and was prepared to pay the $115 fee, then go get the fingerprints. After a few minutes of discussion with others, the clerk said I only had to pay $50 for the TN permit, since TN/OH/FL have reciprocity with each other. I sat down for the picture, and they said it would be mailed to me within 90 days.

Does this sound correct? I hope it is, but I keep wondering if I'll get a letter in a few weeks saying the state of TN needs this, this, and this before we can issue this permit.

I am not especially up for taking the course again, since I did it just a couple years ago...kinda BS for TN to require one to have to do it so often if you ask me. I don't see much changing in "rules" of gun safety and so forth I guess.

Any ideas whats coming?
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='theWHIPLASH' timestamp='1353813184' post='850286']
since TN/OH/FL have reciprocity with each other
[/quote]

correct

Any ideas whats coming?
[/quote]

your carry permit

I am not especially up for taking the course again, since I did it just a couple years ago...kinda BS for TN to require one to have to do it so often if you ask me. I don't see much changing in "rules" of gun safety and so forth I guess.

Any ideas whats coming?[/quote]

It should be just that easy. I expect you'll receive your permit.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the statement I quoted above (about taking a class "so often." ) It's a one time thing here. Take the course then just renew your HCP every 4 years for $50.

Oh, and welcome to TN! Edited by jcj
..... After a few minutes of discussion with others, the clerk said I only had to pay $50 for the TN permit, since TN/OH/FL have reciprocity with each other.
[/quote]

It was only the Ohio permit that allowed you to duck the handgun carry class. Though transferring from either state would have only been the $50 renewal rate, with Florida permit, you would have had to take class too, another 60-100 clams. The NRA course would not have sufficed.

[b] "Florida[/b]

Applicant must be twenty-one (21), [u]complete a DOS approved handgun safety course,[/u] complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, and pay the applicable renewal fee.

[i](Florida requires fingerprinting but does not require a safety course.) [/i]"

[b] "Ohio[/b]

Applicant must complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application and provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay the $50.00 renewal fee."

- OS
Guest theWHIPLASH
thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like I should be all good then.

@jcj The way I read/understand the TN permit law is after your first renewal (2nd license) you have to take the course again (after 8 years)...does that sound correct? I also thought I was going to have to take the course (again) in TN to obtain my new TN conceal license. In OH, I think once you have your CCW (after taking the NRA course, etc...) you only have to renew the license, no need for a "refresher".

@OhShoot where are you pulling those paragraphs from--I'd like to visit that site as well. thanks

[quote name='theWHIPLASH' timestamp='1353904267' post='850699']

@jcj The way I read/understand the TN permit law is after your first renewal (2nd license) you have to take the course again (after 8 years)...does that sound correct? I also thought I was going to have to take the course (again) in TN to obtain my new TN conceal license. In OH, I think once you have your CCW (after taking the NRA course, etc...) you only have to renew the license, no need for a "refresher".
[/quote]

No recurring training requirement at all. As long as you keep paying your $50 to renew the state of TN is happy. :D

[quote name='theWHIPLASH' timestamp='1353904267' post='850699']
...@OhShoot where are you pulling those paragraphs from--I'd like to visit that site as well. thanks
[/quote]

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/apprequirements.shtml

Which is a link from:

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.shtml

- OS
[quote name='wstrnrdr' timestamp='1353981600' post='851096']
That's great. My daughter's boyfriend just got his permit in the mail 2 weeks ago thursday. It took 2 weeks to the day he applied to get it in his hand. good luck hopefully yours will be just as quick.
[/quote]
I can confirm speedy turn-around times. Mine took exactly 14 days from the day I was fingerprinted (Nov 2)
My understanding of Tennessee's policy is that if we (TN) have reciprocity with another state WHICH HAS ESSENTIALLY THE SAME REQUIREMENTS AS TENNESSEE (including a required course that includes classroom and shooting, and fingerprints) then those requirements are waived, along with $65 of the original permit fee, which goes to the folks taking your fingerprints, and the Tennessee permit will be issued following receipt of the $50 fee, a completed application and the record review by FBI, TBI and your county law enforcement agency. I've been told that the average time between application and receipt of the permit (assuming there are no problems that may delay it) is now about three weeks.
[quote name='Tri-Cities Bob' timestamp='1354373531' post='853339']
My understanding of Tennessee's policy is that if we (TN)[b] have reciprocity[/b] with another state [b]WHICH HAS ESSENTIALLY THE SAME REQUIREMENTS AS TENNESSEE[/b] (including a required course that includes classroom and shooting, and fingerprints) then those requirements are waived, along with $65 of the original permit fee, which goes to the folks taking your fingerprints, and the Tennessee permit will be issued following receipt of the $50 fee, a completed application and the record review by FBI, TBI and your county law enforcement agency. ....[/quote]

Not quite that consistent, as a quick scan shows there is no reciprocity with Nevada or Oklahoma , but everything is waived but the 50 clams. I didn't look comprehensively, may be others.

The "essentially same requirements" is obviously the key, though.

- OS
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest bluecanary25

Think of it as a new present........... the anticipation............... it's almost Christmas.

Need to perform some practice laps to the mailbox :pleased:

Guest theWHIPLASH

thanks Blue...

anticipation was high a few weeks ago, but after reading several reports above of guys receiving their permits in about two weeks, I am beginning to wonder if mine was lost in the mail or something.  Starting to think about contacting someone to see of its been issued...although they did say it could take up to 90 days, which is what they'll probably tell me anyways.   Grrrr! 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest theWHIPLASH

just got back from being gone for 2 weeks and the permit has arrived!  Finally some mail worth opening! Took almost 2 months to the day.