remove a pinned flash hidder

Guest setting

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, if the flash hider was put on to make the barrel 16" you will need to
take the barrel off the upper to not have a rifle with a short barrel.
Getting the pin out and cutting the weld is a whole lot more.
Drive the pin out with a GOOD punch, cut the weld VERY carefully,
do you work, weld and pin the hider back on, put the barrel back on the upper.
JUST DONT MAKE A SBR!
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwIBJQo4qeA"]Here's a video on how to install a samson evolution rail on uppers with both fixed and removable flash suppressors[/url].

Not sure if that would work for whatever option you're looking to go with, but I'd think the process should be able to translate to other rails.

Cutting the weld/driving out the pin is a lot of work, with a lot of potential for collateral damage to the flash hider/barrel.
[quote name='J.boyette' timestamp='1353815549' post='850304']Why do you have to remove it?

John[/quote]

To remove the gas tube and barrel nut. I'm assuming he wants a free float. Some have proprietary barrel nuts and unless there is already a low pro gas block, you can't get the forearm over the existing gas block.
[quote name='setting' timestamp='1353851593' post='850397']
yep I am wanting to install free floating rails, and from my understanding the flash hidder needs to be removed.
[/quote]

That depends on the rail system. Samson and Daniel Defense make nice free-float systems that will mount without the need to remove the flash hider or FSB, and i am sure there are others out there. I would shop around for one of those, and see if they fit your needs.

Removing a pinned and welded muzzle device is a major pain in the ass, particularly if the weld is over the pin hole (which most of what I have seen). The pin would probably have to be drilled out with a drill press.
[quote name='Reservoir Dog' timestamp='1353862436' post='850450']

That depends on the rail system. Samson and Daniel Defense make nice free-float systems that will mount without the need to remove the flash hider or FSB, and i am sure there are others out there. I would shop around for one of those, and see if they fit your needs.

Removing a pinned and welded muzzle device is a major pain in the ass, particularly if the weld is over the pin hole (which most of what I have seen). The pin would probably have to be drilled out with a drill press.[/quote]

Well technically if it attaches to the FSB it's not a free float. Yes you can add a two piece rail and thy would be much simpler, but it wouldn't be a free float.
[quote name='Lumber_Jack' timestamp='1353868055' post='850476']
Well technically if it attaches to the FSB it's not a free float. Yes you can add a two piece rail and thy would be much simpler, but it wouldn't be a free float.
[/quote]

I never said they attached to the FSB, I said that it doesn't need to be removed.

The Daniel Defense (Omega Rail) and the Samson (STAR-C) are both free-floating rail systems that can be installed without removing the FSB or muzzle device. The DD Omega Rail locks into the delta ring, and is secured with set screws. The STAR-C requires that the delta ring assembly be removed, and then it clamps down on the barrel nut. Neither of these rail systems attach to the FSB.
[quote name='Lumber_Jack' timestamp='1353868055' post='850476']
[/quote]

The Daniel Defense Omega rail is free float, and installs to a standard Delta ring without any mods to the gun. I have one. They're expensive, but work real well, and weigh about the same as a stock handguard.

[IMG]http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac195/mikegideon1/IMG_0616b.jpg[/IMG]
I stand corrected. I was unaware such a rail existed.

To the OP you just need to decide what look you want and how the money factors in. If you choose to remove the flash hider I would have a gunsmith do it. I would take the lower to a trusted family member for safe keeping, configure the upper as I wanted it, then have the gunsmith re-pin the hider. Then retrieve the lower.
Troy makes one as well.

http://troyind.com/%20/rail-systemsaccessories/rails/ar15m16-rails/free-float-rails/troy-alpha-rail®-9″-no-sight

I haven't used it, but it will probably be next one I use.

Edit: Oops, it's not a two piece, so it will only work if you have a low-profile gas block. Edited by Clod Stomper
Guest J.boyette
Check it out.

If you have a front sight post just cut off the sight tower and leave the rest pined in place. Then slide a Troy Alpha over it.

I would go with a Troy 13" or 15"

OR it would be easy to take the pins out the FSP and slide it to the muzzle devise in the process you slide out the gas tube attached to the FSP, If you are installing a 7.0" handguard FF just undo the delta ring and other parts and the barrel comes off. Then install the FF parts and slide the gas tube back in place and install the pins.

The Troy option is easy to do. If you need clearer directions let me know.

John