Are you covered?

First I want to put a disclaimer out there that I am not selling insurance or an agent.

I recently got insurance coverage for my firearms and accessories as my collection is slowly building. Some of you may not be aware that your basic renters or homeowners policy may not fully cover items such as your firearms, jewelry and other valuables. I would recommend talking to your agent and seeig if you are adequately covered. This time of the year they have seen an increase in claims from burglary and theft and many people have been found out the hard way that their items were not fully covered.

For example my brother's home was recently broken into while out of town and they found out they most of te jewelry was not covered under ther basic policy. Adding a personal article policy and cover those valuables for a very small premium ( depending the value of items).

Def something to consider as you guys grow your collection. Rember gun safes are not going to keep a determined person out. It will just delay them some. Edited by sigbrown1297
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, make sure you have the insurance you need to cover possible losses. Firearms, jewelry, and other specific higher value, or quickly increasing in value items may not be covered, or may be partially covered. Reassess your insurance every 5 years, or so. So your stuff is fully covered.

I suggest you go further, and if you have loved ones, go get some life insurance, too.
[quote name='Hershmeister' timestamp='1353531467' post='849223']
Any tips on decent gun insurance companies?
[/quote]

You should be able to get a "rider" (supplemental policy) on your homeowners policy. My guns would pale in comparison to most here but I do have a "sports equipment" rider. I have a silly amount of money in bicycles.

I have heard rumors of some insurance companies not "wanting" to cover firearms. I can tell you that when I listed all mine out the underwriter I worked with, who didn't seem to know anything about firearms at all, had some interesting discussions. :)

I'm with Travelers for auto, home, listed property riders and an umbrella policies and I've been happy with them but I can't really say they are especially "better" than many others.

As with everything and especially insurance; it's prudent to shop around! :)

I have renters insurance through Geico(who actually uses another company). I specially asked about firearms and the guy giving the quote was really cool about it. He has a decent collection himself and told me how much coverage I would have.

Don't forget, you are also protected through the NRA if you are a member. Up to 10K I believe.
Be sure to check the details on your valuable personal property rider. I noticed yesterday that mines says I have to provide proof of purchase/ownership in the event of a loss. I'll be calling them soon to find out what would meet their criteria as things bought second hand don't have a receipt and may not have a bill of sale. Perhaps photos of the S/N would do since those can be stored in the cloud and not lost during a whole-house fire like receipts/bills of sale.
Nope, no coverage. Thought about, but its not really worth it to me. What little I have is dispersed and I am home all day, every day.
If our house is ever burglarized it'll be an armed robbery and if they getaway, I'll likely be toast anyway. I don't keep all my stuff together or even in the house.
I don't WANT to lose my stuff but the way I live my life, if I ever do, I won't be in a position give two wags of a rats azz.
[quote name='glowdotGlock' timestamp='1353559113' post='849361']
Yes. That's the amount of coverage I have. Just added it to my renter's insurance. It's only about $15 more a month.
[/quote]

Might want to change you first post. No reason to tell the world (internet) the value of your personal assets.............just thinking out loud Edited by Parrothead
Proof of coverage = Reciept of purchase, and pictures of firearm, including the serial numbers. May depend on insurance. Ask your provider. FYI: If possible, I have not done this yet, but get the firearm, and valuables appraised by a professional. This gives a point of value for the items, which may have increased in value since purchase. This you may need to do, depending on the increase of value, about every five years. Then adjust coverage accordingly.