AR-15 gas block

CQB Elite

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plenty of good vids on YouTube...

I usually install (dry-fit/ test fit ) the gas tube to the gas block 1st, put the barrel on the upper receiver and then put the gas block & tube on the barrel.... [b]get it all lined up [/b]place thin accurate marks on the gas block and barrel as alignment marks and then go from there.
I put a mark with a pencil or a market on the gas block where the hole is lined up, and put a mark on the barrel as well. That way You just line up the marks on your gas block/barrel.
[quote name='nysos' timestamp='1353429358' post='848762']I put a mark with a pencil or a market on the gas block where the hole is lined up, and put a mark on the barrel as well. That way You just line up the marks on your gas block/barrel.[/quote]

This, make sure you pencil lines are straight and perpendicular to the respective holes and then you should be good to go.
Guest twpayne75
Just trying to save you some time and money through experience. I have used Samson, Troy, and Midwest Industries and never took off the factory front sight base. You can cut them down and still use them without ever taking it off the barrel. I can do one now in less than five minutes with a Dremel or Roto-Zip. The outcome looks professional, which really doesn't matter since you can't see it anyway.

Here is a picture of one of mine. There is a factory FSB under the rail. It has tons of clearance. If interested let me know and I will find a link to the tutorial.
[IMG]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/twpayne75/STAGCOMP016.jpg[/IMG]
Guest J.boyette
The best way?

Here you go.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/gas-system-tools/ar-15-m16-gas-block-dimpling-jig-prod42283.aspx?avs|Make_3=AR-15/M4#.ULLzloZWrU0

With one of the low pro gas blocks with set screws at the 6 o'clock postion.

John
Thanks for the replies. I bought a barrel and a DD Lite rail 10.0 for my build but have decided to go a different route (my original plan). I bought a FSB and I'm sending it and the barrel to ADCO to have it drilled for taper pins. Edited by EB-SF