• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took mine over at Sportsman's on Hixon Pk which is not to,to far from where your at!

If you decide to do Dodds,let us know how it is! I have heard some good stuff about them!

I'm going to check in to it at Dodds i'll let you know.

Guest Spuds

Or drive north on I-75 to exit 36 and take the class at Fugate's Firearms in Calhoun. $50 last time I checked and they get you in & out in one evening or afternoon session, your choice.

Or drive north on I-75 to exit 36 and take the class at Fugate's Firearms in Calhoun. $50 last time I checked and they get you in & out in one evening or afternoon session, your choice.

Doesn't TN law require at least an 8 hour session? I don't see how they could accomplish everything in one evening.

Guest abailey362

when I called fugate's it seemed that it was a 2 night class. I know a few places are doing that now.

Skip should start teaching soon in the Ooltewah area and he will be charging $50 as well

I took mine at sportsman's in hixson and it was ok

I have known and shot IPSC with Dodd for many years.He is a top notch Professional Instructor and best of all has a likeable demeaner.He also offers other classes as well giving you an opportunity to advance your skills beyond the basics.I highly recommend his training.

Guest Spuds
Doesn't TN law require at least an 8 hour session? I don't see how they could accomplish everything in one evening.

Same question I asked of them. They gave an explanation, but it was >5 years ago, I don't recall it now. IIRC, the class started early, 5 or 6 pm. and didn't get out until around 11 p.m. or midnite. Part of the course was the live fire on the range, and they only took a few people at a time in to shoot, so they could be 1:1 with them, instructor to student. After you shot the course of fire, you were free to go, that made for part of the shorter time frame.

Hal Shaw at the Ammo Dump on Hwy 58 teaches a good class at the Chattanooga Rifle Club Campus. His gun shop isn't something to rave about, but he is a good guy and does everything he can to teach a good class. Also has a reserve police officer helping with the class.

I have known and shot IPSC with Dodd for many years.He is a top notch Professional Instructor and best of all has a likeable demeaner.He also offers other classes as well giving you an opportunity to advance your skills beyond the basics.I highly recommend his training.

+1 give Ronnie a call, he is "good people"

• 2 weeks later...
i took my class from Kristi Manning at Carters Shooting, but i heard that she and her father who owns the store had a fallout of some sort and shes not doing the classes there anymore. i say call them to see if this rumor is true.

how long ago was this? The last time I saw her was a few weeks ago...

• 1 year later...
Guest johnmappling
how long ago was this? The last time I saw her was a few weeks ago...

Kristi Manning:

She is still at Carter's Shooting Supply in Harrison, Tn. I took her handgun course in Dec. 2008 I just saw about a week ago at the store also...

Guest Spuds
Skips has a range? :)

Heard a week or two ago that Skip is one of a couple of folks who are authorized to hold classes on the CRC's training range. Not 100% on that though.

Guest johnmappling

I took my Tn. Handgun Permit Class at Carter's Shooting Supply in Harrison, Tn. Kristi Manning was the instructor and did a great job in teaching/instructing the class and shooting at the indoor range. I highly recommend Carter's Shooting Supply & Kristi Manning.

I took mine at fugates.. GREAT People. There class is actually only about 4-5 hours, depending on how many students in the class. I know what you are thinking...law says an 8 hour class. I questioned this myself. The state has approved there class. The 8 hour classes are those that are done at an out door range. It takes longer because of the noise from the range. Fugates is an indoor range and it is easier to get everything done more efficiently. Thre class is one of the best. Matter of fact they just had a couple of "students" (really undercovers for the state) go through the class and did not have any problems.