The War on Thanksgiving

Guest HvyMtl

I know most everyone here has heard the about the "War on Christmas," where secularism is removing the "Christ out of Christmas."

However, I have yet to hear much complaining about the destruction of Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving was a holiday designed to celebrate America. It was designed to be a family oriented holiday.

Now, you have more and more restaurants, and stores being open on Thanksgiving, to get that extra $. Walmart and Target, Toys-r-us, and other retailers are opening on Thanksgiving DAY. Some are even requiring their employees to be scheduled on this day.

If you are poor, and are working at such a place, you do not get to spend your holiday with your family. How fair is that?

What ever happened to the focus on family for Thanksgiving, instead of focusing on garnering as much money as possible? Shop now for Christmas!

Sorry, I will not go shopping on Thanksgiving Day. And I ask you do not either. Sends the message that America is not important, that celebrating family is not important, to shop like its Black Friday on Thanksgiving Day.
I won't, either, HvyMtl. It's a shame this is happening. Thanksgiving is one time a year the damned stores should
be closed. Just like Christmas. I always run the risk of having to get stuck on a train every holiday because of
everyone laying off and my trying to stay good with the company. Some trains like piggybacks don't sit still and
you would think one day, but it isn't gonna happen.

I'm still off medical for Thanksgiving, but Christmas is still in the air. I won't be shopping at any of those stores.
It's a time(day) for family! The stores should be closed! Some stores are opening Thanksgiving evening, I feel this is very wrong!

[b] Why Black Friday May Not Be the Best Time to Shop for Bargains[/b]

Black Friday is at the end of this week, and while there will certainly be bargains at some of your favorite retailers, they may not be the best, and they may not even be worth shopping for. The Wall Street Journal points out that Black Friday isn't the best time to get a bargain. Here's why.
Among the major reasons WSJ lists, they highlight the fact that after crunching two to six years' worth of data they've collected on Black Friday sales and discounts, they can definitively say that no, you're not getting a bargain. Many items, like jewelry, actually get more expensive as the holiday season approaches, only to be slashed back to normal prices during events like Black Friday and sales leading up to the end of the shopping season. Other items, like electronics, aren't much cheaper on Black Friday than they are any other time of year.
Other recent research has shown that many Black Friday sale items this year [url="http://gizmodo.com/5960726/90-of-this-years-black-friday-ads-have-the-exact-same-items-and-prices-as-last-years-black-friday-ads"]are the same things that were on sale last year[/url], and some are even [i]more[/i] expensive. We've mentioned this before too, but whether you think [url="http://lifehacker.com/5862023/is-it-ever-worthwhile-to-line-up-for-black-friday"]it's ever worthwhile to line up[/url] for Black Friday is ultimately up to you.
[url="http://lifehacker.com/5961376/why-black-friday-may-not-be-the-best-time-to-shop-for-bargains?tag=myth-busting"]http://lifehacker.co...ag=myth-busting[/url]

I don't want to take up space, coping&pasting! The link below is a big article!
[url="http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443615804578042700772445448.html"]http://online.wsj.co...0772445448.html[/url] Edited by CCI
Meh. If your employer requires you to work in Thanksgiving, find a different job. I agree that family is important, and Thanksgiving serves as a day for the family to get together, but I've missed birthdays and every holiday there is when I served in the military. It sucked, but it was the profession I chose and I knew that it came with sacrifices such as that.
  • Like 3
[quote name='TMF' timestamp='1353356558' post='848318']Meh. If your employer requires you to work in Thanksgiving, find a different job.[/quote]

That sure is a short sighted statement. Not everyone can hop from job to job especially in this economy.

I've had to endure that same line in the Parking Lot Bill thread if someone works for a company that bans firearms from employees' cars. Perhaps someone can drive to work and home unarmed and pray for the best. I guess that same person working on Thanksgiving should pray that their family doesn't miss them.
  • Like 1
Guest MilitiaMan
I shop when I want to shop, regardless of what day it is or isn't.

I always have and always will spend quality time with my family. I see to that, even if I have to adjust my "holiday schedule" and eat a little earlier or a little later. In all my years I have never heard anyone piss and moan about boycotting places that are open on a holiday until this year. This further strengthens my opinion that we are right smack in the middle of the era known as The Great Pussification of America.
[quote name='S&WForty' timestamp='1353358426' post='848337']

That sure is a short sighted statement. Not everyone can hop from job to job especially in this economy.

I've had to endure that same line in the Parking Lot Bill thread if someone works for a company that bans firearms from employees' cars. Perhaps someone can drive to work and home unarmed and pray for the best. I guess that same person working on Thanksgiving should pray that their family doesn't miss them. [/quote]

Everything comes at a sacrifice. Want to feed the family? Then you might have to work on Thanksgiving. Don't like it? Then work somewhere else or don't work at all.

Sorry, I've missed several Thanksgivings and Christmases while deployed to war along with hundreds of thousands of other Sevicemembers that have endured the same. I never expected pity or appreciation, so I have a hard time empathizing with a person that can just go find another job.
  • Like 5
I got ahead by my willingness to work when others felt entitled to have certain days off. I love my family and they know that I will do whatever it takes to keep a roof over their head and food in their bellies.

I work almost every holiday and I still manage to find time to spend time with my family.

I didn't realize I was at war with a holiday. I guess I better stock up on ammo...
Oh, I don't feel entitled to the Holiday. I just wish it would be honored for what it really is. Life must go on, no doubt,
but I remember a simpler time when some of these traditions were actually honored and cherished.

I also understand where TMF is coming from. That's the way it is, sometimes. There are critical roles that can't take
off for holidays or anything else. I just think sometimes things like this holiday are carried a little too far for the dollar's
sake. Anyway, it is still a choice. I remember Bush sneaking over to Iraq, one Thanksgiving. That was a good of him. Too often the soldier gets the short end of the stick.

Too many things get in the way of life. Edited by 6.8 AR
[quote name='TMF' timestamp='1353359010' post='848344']
Everything comes at a sacrifice. Want to feed the family? Then you might have to work on Thanksgiving. Don't like it? Then work somewhere else or don't work at all.

Sorry, I've missed several Thanksgivings and Christmases while deployed to war along with hundreds of thousands of other Sevicemembers that have endured the same. I never expected pity or appreciation, so I have a hard time empathizing with a person that can just go find another job.
[/quote]

Amen. I've missed 3/5 marriage anniversaries, with what looks to be another coming up this spring for 4/6. I've missed the birth of my only child and a majority of the pregnancy and his 1st birthday. I've missed many other holidays too. That's not even counting all the Staff Duty, CQ, and field rotations. Its very hard for me to empathize with it too.

It sucks to work holidays. You're preaching to the choir with all the military, medical, police, fire, etc that can't be off either. It sucks but it will never change. Edited by scoutfsu
[quote name='TMF' timestamp='1353359010' post='848344']

Sorry, I've missed several Thanksgivings and Christmases while deployed to war along with hundreds of thousands of other Sevicemembers that have endured the same. I never expected pity or appreciation, so I have a hard time empathizing with a person that can just go find another job.[/quote]

I appreciate your sacrifice and service. I've been fortunate to work in a professional job where I'm off almost every holiday, but I have friends and close relatives that work under bad conditions. If it was as simple as "just go find another job," they would. Everyone's situation is unique to them.

[quote name='scoutfsu' timestamp='1353360832' post='848374']

Amen. I've missed 3/5 marriage anniversaries, with what looks to be another coming up this spring for 4/6. I've missed the birth of my only child and a majority of the pregnancy and his 1st birthday. I've missed many other holidays too. That's not even counting all the Staff Duty, CQ, and field rotations. Its very hard for me to empathize with it too.

It sucks to work holidays. You're preaching to the choir with all the military, medical, police, fire, etc that can't be off either. It sucks but it will never change.[/quote]

You guys are truly cut from another cloth as the saying goes. I don't think there is anything that deserves more respect and admiration than U.S. servicemen.

If I might inject a personal observation; while I do feel sorry for the folks that have to work, I have to say I'm glad that at least some restaurants are open on Thanksgiving day.

I too have been deployed on the holiday or stationed a LONG way from "home" or had other challenges to face...so...were some restaurants not open there would have been no "Thanksgiving" dinner for me and for many other people who either can't cook, don't know to cook and/or don't have family that they can get to on that particular day.

[quote name='S&WForty' timestamp='1353358426' post='848337']

[/quote]
All the more reason that you should be happy for the ones working on holidays. They not only have a job in this economy but they are also making double time.
;)

Edited by strickj
  • Like 1
I worked in retail for 5 holiday seasons. I was fortunate enough to never have to work on Thanksgiving it self. Black Friday was a different story. Most years I had to report to work around 3-4 am. I still refuse to shop on Black Friday period. I despise the whole idea honestly. I was recently talking to an old co-worker that was telling me that my old store will be opening on 8 pm Thanksgiving Day and staying open through the night. Stupid, they will lost money. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. Also thankful I don't have to rush off back across the state after Thanksgiving "lunch" so I can get into bed early. Thanksgiving should be a time to spend with family, not a time when corporations can make more money at the sacrifice of their near minimum wage employees.
Lets see where this goes: I sometimes see things differently than most, just to have a different point of view, maybe to stir it up. For one, I agree its a shame that working retailers and working food servers must work on a beloved holiday, I sympathize with those. However, I am not so sure its the greedy companies to blame, but the stock holders who are actually to blame. We stock holders, sometimes called 401K holders of mutal funds, demand and expect a certain rate of return in order for us to have a comfortable lifestyle. We demand these public traded companies not only turn an expected profit, but we want the shares of stock to rise in value. We stock/mutal funds holders do not care how they do it, as long as it is legal. So my argument, who is to blame, the retailers, or us!
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

[quote name='strickj' timestamp='1353363324' post='848411']
All the more reason that you should be happy for the ones working on holidays. They not only have a job in this economy but [b]they are also making double time.[/b]
;)[/quote]
Who says? I get the same 8 hours of holiday pay whether I work or not. I make nothing extra for working on Turkeyday. In fact, all of the retailers I have worked for were the same way.

[quote name='Chucktshoes' timestamp='1353365764' post='848442']
Who says? I get the same 8 hours of holiday pay whether I work or not. I make nothing extra for working on Turkeyday. In fact, all of the retailers I have worked for were the same way.
[/quote]
Says me.
:D

Dunno... thought most of the retailers paid double. :shrugs:
Quick look, looks like even Wally pays double time for paid holidays worked.

[quote name='strickj' timestamp='1353370014' post='848473']
Says me.
:D

Dunno... thought most of the retailers paid double. :shrugs:
Quick look, looks like even Wally pays double time for paid holidays worked.[/quote]

They did when I worked there.

• Moderators
It is a Jedi mind trick to convince folks to volunteer to work the holiday.

A paid holiday earns the day's pay whether you work it or not. If you work the day of you make the 8 hours pay, plus the pay for the hours you actually work. If you don't work the holiday, and are scheduled for 32 hrs, then the pay is the same and it is like getting a paid day off. If you are scheduled for 40 hours only if you work the holiday, then working the holiday is like getting paid double time. If you will be scheduled for 40 hours regardless of whether or not you work the holiday then there is no "double time". Make sense?
[quote name='Chucktshoes' timestamp='1353371666' post='848491']It is a Jedi mind trick to convince folks to volunteer to work the holiday.

A paid holiday earns the day's pay whether you work it or not. If you work the day of you make the 8 hours pay, plus the pay for the hours you actually work. If you don't work the holiday, and are scheduled for 32 hrs, then the pay is the same and it is like getting a paid day off. If you are scheduled for 40 hours only if you work the holiday, then working the holiday is like getting paid double time. If you will be scheduled for 40 hours regardless of whether or not you work the holiday then there is no "double time". Make sense?[/quote]

Yeah, but for hourly folks working retail, we didn't get paid unless we were clocking in. Don't get nothing for the holidays unless you're working.