Mixed feeling on my new MTAC holster

I ordered the MTAC on 6/1/08 and had it in my hands by 6/7/08. Very fast turn around and I was very pleased by that.

The holster itself is comfortable to wear and the level of concealment that it offers is excellent. My issue is that I can't draw my gun without using both hands. :D If I am sitting the retention is absolutely perfect. Not too much and not too little. When I am standing though, it won't come free of the holster without one hand to hold the holster and the other to draw my gun. I don't think the problem is my belt and I already have the belt as tight as I can comfortably tolerate.

I noticed that there are 4 screws holding the kydex body to the leather. Can I just loosen those a little to improve performance?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Yes you can and should adjust the retention via the screws on the trigger-guard side of the holster body. Not on the side near the sights. Just the ones that have the little rubber spacers on them.

Guest CrazyLincoln

I agree with Tungsten. You need to adjust those screws until you get the right retention. No wonder you can't draw without two hands, those things are tight from the factory. I find also, even with it loose, I still have to press my thumb on the holster to draw; it won't just slide out.

I agree completely. I loosened mine when I got and have never had a problem. I have been carrying one for 8 months and with practice I am pretty fast at drawing from it, with one hand. I still think they are the best IWB concealment holster on the market.

Ok, I've loosened the screws as much as possible (to the point of almost coming out) and I tried loosening my belt. It's a little bit easier to draw but is still rather tight. I've got it to where I can draw one handed but it still tends to pull my pants up.

When the holster is off body there is absolutely no trouble removing the gun from the holster. I'm kind of a big guy so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Are you maybe wearing it too low? On the clips you can adjust how low it is. On mine I have the Kydex going to the top of my pants so that there is not a chance of it catching on my pants, but i have a 33" waist so I am not sure how well that would work for others.

What kind of gun and what is the length of the barrel? I am carrying an XD 40 SubCompact with a 3" barrel.

It's a M&P9 full size and the barrel length is 4.25".

I still have to press my thumb on the holster to draw; it won't just slide out.

This seems to help quit a bit. It's still a little tight on the draw stroke, but now it's completely doable 1 handed.

Guest gsbell

With IWB holsters you want your belt snug enough to securely hold your pants and the weight of the gun up. Do not over do it, if you are going tighter than that then you are just squeezing the body of the holster against the gun and are never going to get a nice draw.

With IWB holsters you want your belt snug enough to securely hold your pants and the weight of the gun up. Do not over do it, if you are going tighter than that then you are just squeezing the body of the holster against the gun and are never going to get a nice draw.

That is probably a big part of it. I have always worn my belt and shoes tied rather tight.

Guest I_AM_WOOD

give it a few weeks to break in. once the leather on mine got the shape of the gun I had to go back a readjust the hold.