Illinois trip

Guest Scwrod

I have to take a trip to Great Lakes for my daughters naval academy graduation. I have read up and to the best of my knowledge, I can take my pistol with me. It must be unloaded in a case and my HCP can be substituted for a FOID card.

I just want to have it in my hotel room.
Can anyone give me a reason to not follow my plan.

TIA
Guns are not allowed on the Naval Base even if they are secured in the trunk of your car. They will confiscate it and may not allow you on the base.

There is no substitution for an FOID card; it pertains to Illinois residents only and has nothing to do with you. Out of state residents need nothing to have a lawfully transported firearm.
Illinois state law allows you have a gun in your hotel room, but cities can pass their own laws. If you are in Chicago or many of the Suburbs you at risk of arrest if it is seen. Check with the Police Department of the city you will be staying in.

In case, unloaded, ammo separate and inaccessible to the passenger compartment and you are good to go.

They are mainly concerned with immediately accessible. If you can get it quickly and load it; its illegal. “Quickly” is the Officers call. Like anywhere else, whether or not you are charged with anything is how and why the cops found your gun.

Thank your daughter for her service. [img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/patriot.gif[/img]

You are going to the right place aren’t you? Naval Academy graduation isn’t held at Great Lakes. [img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/biggrin.gif[/img]
Thanks for all input. I just want it in the hotel room for the week. It is @the Naval station in Great Lakes. I thought about just not taking it but decided if it can be done within the law then why not.
[quote name='Scwrod' timestamp='1353282309' post='847840']
Thanks for all input. I just want it in the hotel room for the week. It is @the Naval station in Great Lakes. I thought about just not taking it but decided if it can be done within the law then why not.
[/quote]
What city are you staying in?

[quote] RTC supports the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004. If you are a peace officer(policeman, etc.) and are required to carry a weapon at all times as a condition of your service; please contact Great Lakes Police Departments’ Deputy Chief Knapp at james.b.knapp@navy.mil or 847-688-5555 well in advance of your visit to discuss procedures and requirements. Weapons possession on federal reservations is highly regulated and those that violate are subject to arrest and prosecution.[/quote]

I know you are not a LEO, but he would be a good contact to answer your questions. I would ask him if you are staying in a hotel in the area or call the Police Department for that city.
Hotel is in Waukegan, lake county. I will try to make the call to the number provided before I depart. I plan on transporting weapon disassembled and in a locked case. It appears that county is one of the toughest in the US. Looks like they are big on laws different that state laws.

Thanks again
Happy Thanksgiving. I decided to just let my faith protect me and my family. Cheif Knapp is lacking in communications skills and obviously did not want me to take a weapon even if I could do so legally. I went into details and twice I stated I just wanted protection while in the hotel room. His last respone was simply.... Illinois is a no concealed carry state. I bet he is first one in line to vote for tighter guns laws. I can not get out of this state quick enough.
Guest Catfish36
To me it is just so sad and disturbing that we have to have this conversation at all. You are an American on American soil..what part of "shall not be infringed" is unclear? I travelled beyond the Mason/Dixon line myself over Thanksgiving..I could not wait to see that Kentucky line coming back home.
I recently took a trip to Chicago. I felt the same way. Nice city (at least the part I was in) and the people were friendly, but I couldn't stand the thought that most of the people I laid eyes on believed that the government is more trustworthy than I on issues of safety and personal liberty. Surprisingly, I only saw 3 cops my entire week there. Two bicycle cops my first evening, and one patrol on the morning of my departure, but I saw plenty of panhandlers, homeless folks, and unsavory types wandering around. Had one decided I looked like a good target, I was not in any position to protect myself beyond my Swiss Army knife, and even that was a crap shoot because the blade is right at the legal limit (Chicago even has very restrictive rules on pocket knives). What irks me more is that it wasn't even legal for me to keep the firearm secured in a locked case in my vehicle since Chicago prohibits possession of a firearm pretty much completely, so a trip to Chicago requires one to make the drive without a firearm or risk a felony charge upon arrival.

Just as an aside, I remember when I entered law enforcement in 1997 and I supported the concealed carry law that was being pushed in Kentucky at the time. I was definitely a minority in policing at the time and that wasn't all that long ago. My point is that less than a generation ago, most LEOs were not supportive of one's right to carry and the major police organizations are not especially friendly to right to carry, especially the National Association of Chiefs of Police. Heck, that group even opposed the federal law granting national carry for LEOs.
[quote name='East_TN_Patriot' timestamp='1353858277' post='850426']
Just as an aside, I remember when I entered law enforcement in 1997 and I supported the concealed carry law that was being pushed in Kentucky at the time. I was definitely a minority in policing at the time and that wasn't all that long ago. My point is that less than a generation ago, most LEOs were not supportive of one's right to carry and the major police organizations are not especially friendly to right to carry, especially the National Association of Chiefs of Police. Heck, that group even opposed the federal law granting national carry for LEOs.
[/quote]

I first became a Police Officer in 1978, and I still know a lot of cops and have family members involved in law enforcement; they are all in Illinois and almost every one of them supports citizens carrying. I have no idea why most cops in Kentucky would not support carry, that’s interesting.

The NACOP is just a group of administrators; they aren’t street cops. But then it’s really a moot point, no one cares what the cops think about the laws. Legislators make laws; not cops.

I took a week’s vacation in September and went to Illinois. Went to Chicago for two days. One of the best cities in the world for night life and restaurants.

Illinois is full of good people that are working on getting carry laws. Unfortunately just like we just saw in the Presidential election those that want the government to support them are calling the shots.