Couple of Garands I picked up last week.

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC
[b] Couple of M1 Garands I picked up last week. Was in TN, stopped by CMP Anniston, (5th trip), intended on buying one rack grade. Ended up walking out with these two Garands, one leather and one nylon sling, 400 rounds 30.06, a bayonet, and 80 clips. Top one is a '42 Service Grade. All Springfield, all matching, Rebarreled at Letterkenny in '53. Bottom one is a '43 Rack Grade, was a "Lend Lease" because it has the PB trigger housing. But both measure Service Grade at 1 and 3. So bottom is rack grade stock with SG throat and muzzle measurements. Now have to go try them out at the range.[/b]

[img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc56/tankerhc/Guns/DSC_0005.jpg[/img] Edited by TankerHC
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw man. The lack of funds right now.... Those look great!

I gotta stop looking in this section of the forums. I keep seeing things I want, and cannot afford... yet.
Guest TankerHC
[quote name='Shug' timestamp='1353215745' post='847476']
What's a rack grade running now days
[/quote]

$550 + shipping. I buy at the store, but ship to save on the high taxes. Edited by TankerHC
Guest TankerHC
[quote name='MrBrian' timestamp='1353216034' post='847481']
Can people from out of state just drive down to Anniston, AL and buy from CMP without any problems??? Do you have to do all of the stuff and fill out all of the forms that they require on their website?
[/quote]

You can fill out the forms before you go or you can do it there. I have bought from them 5 or 6 times, the paperwork is not much. Since they are Uncle Sam, they can ship the guns right to your door (Or you can take them home with you if you want to pay the tax). Anyone who can legally buy a gun can buy there if they meet a few requirements, retired Military (They keep my ID on file), Veteran, LEO, member of a range or R&P club or some club that is CMP affiliated. They used to have a requirement that if you were member of a club you had to have shot at least one High Power match, dont know if thats still required or not. You can go to their website and read all the requirements, or you can call and speak to one of the ladies up front or Mike or Leon. They can all tell you.
Nice looking rifles you got there. You will most definitely enjoy the range time! Just a warning...400 may not be enough. I was amazed how fast I ran through a can of 200.

Ordered two from CMP earlier this year - extraordinary service! Both arrived in far better shape than I anticipated given the grade criteria. A 1+/2 service grade SA that was 95% matching, and a 1/1+ HRA service with beautiful furniture.

CMP no longer has the requirement to have shot a High Power match.
  • 1 month later...
[quote name="TankerHC" post="847493" timestamp="1353217680"] You can fill out the forms before you go or you can do it there. I have bought from them 5 or 6 times, the paperwork is not much. Since they are Uncle Sam, they can ship the guns right to your door (Or you can take them home with you if you want to pay the tax). Anyone who can legally buy a gun can buy there if they meet a few requirements, retired Military (They keep my ID on file), Veteran, LEO, member of a range or R&P club or some club that is CMP affiliated. They used to have a requirement that if you were member of a club you had to have shot at least one High Power match, dont know if thats still required or not. You can go to their website and read all the requirements, or you can call and speak to one of the ladies up front or Mike or Leon. They can all tell you.[/quote] How do they confirm veteran status?
[quote name="DaveTN" post="876493" timestamp="1357401439"]DD214[/quote] That's what I figured. So just a DD214 and some ID and I can just take one of these home for less than 600? Looks like a road trip in my future.
That's what I figured. So just a DD214 and some ID and I can just take one of these home for less than 600? Looks like a road trip in my future.

Read all the stuff. You also need a club affiliation. I use Garand Collectors association, $25 a year no muss no fuss.

You can submit everything and get pre-approved before you make the trip. That’s what I did first time. If you forget something; you have wasted a trip. The ladies in the Office there are very helpful and will answer any questions you have. The forum is also a great source of information.

Read all the stuff. You also need a club affiliation. I use Garand Collectors association, $25 a year no muss no fuss.

You can submit everything and get pre-approved before you make the trip. That’s what I did first time. If you forget something; you have wasted a trip. The ladies in the Office there are very helpful and will answer any questions you have. The forum is also a great source of information.

Ditto on this. I E-mailed it all before I made the trip and brought copies with me.

Guest TankerHC

You dont need a club affiliation any more UNLESS you have no other form of qualifying ID.

As far as paperwork goes, you really have two options. If your going to mail it in, and have them pick your rifles, then yes, you have no choice. Or you can just fill it out there. It is 2 forms that takes about 5 minutes. While they are running everything, you will be shopping and looking at all the goodies anyway. I have purchased from CMP for a long time now and never spend less than 2 hours going over the stock. Take 5 minutes, fill out the 2 forms, hand them to the ladies with your ID and go shopping. There is no 4473, they are the Government. They will take about 10 minutes to get you qualified and thats not even enough time to look at one rifle, you will be there for hours.

If you have a qualifying ID, they will make a copy and put it in your file. Each time you go after that, they will automatically run your ID, although you will still have to fill out the two forms.

I would recommend to anyone, before you make the trip, call and ask to speak to Leon or Mike. They are both the Master Armorers and experts in everything CMP. They can give you details on everything. First time I went I called and spoke to Leon, asked him what paperwork I needed to bring. Told him I was Retired Army, his responce "You dont need to bring anything, your ID is your paperwork".

Also, if your looking for anything other than a Garand, you need to join the CMP Forum or call before you go. The '17's and 03's are announced on the forums and arew gone as quick as they put them out.

Also, if your looking for a Garand, the tags on the Garands have the Muzzle and Throat readings. Ignore them. When you go in, ask one of the MA's for a set of gauges. If you dont know how to use them, ask and Leon or Mike will gladly give you a quick block of instruction on how to use them. You may pick up a Garand that shows on the tag 2+ and 3+, throw in a set of gauges and find out its a 1 and 3. This happens all the time. Inform yourself on muzzle and throat readings before you go.

Also do not pick up a rifle, take a look at it, think it looks good, and buy it. Let the MA's inspect every thing you think you might want. Thats what they are there for. They can strip a Garand in 10 seconds look at the numbers and tell you when and where every part was made. If you take your time and look, instead of spending $625 on a sertvice grade, YOU CAN AND WILL find Service Grade rifles marked Rack Grade.

If you go to the CMP site and something you want says "Sold Out, not taking orders", ignore it. Make the call. Guns come in every day, They may have posted that a week ealier and got some in since.

Guest TankerHC

Did they change it?

Because this page says its required and specifically says it can’t be waived. You may not have needed it if you are retired military or something like that.

http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm

Its never been changed, if you have  a qualifying ID, you dont need to be a member of a club or any other organization. There are also other exemptions. Member of VFW, American Legion and some other Veterans Organizations automatically qualifies you. Current Military/Reserve/National Guard/ Retirees are exempt. Members of DAV, MCL and others are also exempt. Previous Law Enforcement, current Law Enforcement, Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc. are also exempt from the CLub requirements. These are all affiliates and require no membership in a shooting club.

These are called "Special Affiliates"

There are plenty of other affiliate exemptions as well.

Edited by TankerHC