840 open?

LI0NSFAN

I have heard conflicting reports of the whole stretch around Nashville open. If it is open has anyone used it yet? Is it 70mph all the way through it? I go to Memphis a lot to see Family and wanted to know if it is worth it. You get to bypass Nashville all together, but I don't know if it saves any time.
I used it last weekend, 70 all the way from 40 in Lebanon to 40 in Dickson.(100 miles, 1.5 to 1.75 hours.)
Why go the long way, through Nashville is MUCH faster(60 miles, 55 mins), well jambs will slow you down,
but you will use less gas. Edited by RED333
Is the old part 70 all the way through. I have never been on 840 at all. I think I am going to try it out next time because it looks like I would hit Nashville at 4-5pm on the Friday before Christmas. Looking at it, I think that this would be a great "Shortcut" time wise. I know it is about 20 longer but not having to drop to 55 and not having the traffic jam I seem to hit everytime I go through Nashville makes me think It should be a little bit faster or at least keeps me rolling the whole time.
Guest Grubbah
According to some rough google earth pathing, its approximately 75 miles if you take 840 around Nashville. Its approximately 57 miles if you go through Nashville.

Generally speaking I'd say it would be faster to just go through nashville unless you know you'll be going through at rush hour, you can easily blow 20+ minutes sitting in traffic on 40 at certain times of day. 840 is a lot more peaceful of a drive though, so the extra 20 or so miles might be worth it to some people to avoid nashville. Edited by Grubbah
I got about the same numbers. I figured that going through Nashville that distance is about an hour with little traffic just because of the speed limit drop. That same distance on 840 at 70mph would be about the same and you would not have to worry about hitting traffic. Not going through Nashville would also prevent my wife from hitting her imaginary brake 100 times, and less stressful for me.
840 wasn't really intended to be used from end-to-end (Dickson to Lebanon or vice-versa). It's longer in both time and distance. If you're passing through at rush hour you can avoid downtown with I-440 or Briley Parkway. 840 was meant to divert traffic entering Nashville and changing direction. Such as up from Alabama and then east to Knoxville. The long term plans are to create a northern loop that will connect from Lebanon up through Trousdale Co., Springfield, Clarksville, and back down to Dickson, but that may never happen due to having to build 2 very expensive bridges over the Cumberland.
[quote name='monkeylizard' timestamp='1353169334' post='847197']840 wasn't really intended to be used from end-to-end (Dickson to Lebanon or vice-versa). It's longer in both time and distance. If you're passing through at rush hour you can avoid downtown with I-440 or Briley Parkway. 840 was meant to divert traffic entering Nashville and changing direction. Such as up from Alabama and then east to Knoxville. The long term plans are to create a northern loop that will connect from Lebanon up through Trousdale Co., Springfield, Clarksville, and back down to Dickson, but that may never happen due to having to build 2 very expensive bridges over the Cumberland.[/quote]

When was the last time you were on 440 during rush hour? That's the most congested stretch of roadway during rush hour. I avoid 440 from 6:30 am - 9:30 am and 3:00 pm - 6:30 pm.
Yesterday. It depends on direction. Westbound in the mornings or eastbound in the evenings is bad. The reverse is usually just fine except for the construction at Nolensville Rd/I-24. Once that's done it will get a lot better. Briley usually moves just fine any time of day. Traffic is heavy in rush hour between I-40 and I-65, but it moves along at speed limit to 10 over.

I find the most congested point to be I-40 West in the downtown south loop approaching the I-65 (formerly I-265) split. Too many cars getting on I-65 north for that ramp to handle. Edited by monkeylizard